Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 543 544 [545] 546 547 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3714947 times)

Kishmond

• Bay Watcher
  • What the pfargtl?
    • View Profile
    • My DF Stories blog.
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #8160 on: December 04, 2013, 08:56:15 pm »

Dwarf Fortress: The World is Your Sock

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8161 on: December 04, 2013, 10:25:12 pm »

Dwarf Fortress: The World is Your Sock

Sigged! :P

Meansdarling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8162 on: December 04, 2013, 11:45:49 pm »

In reference to the new post about trading; do the dwarves trade in dwarf mode too?

Also, in adventure mode, will your companions be liable to trade away important items for food while with you?

Interesting situations.
Like your fellow travelers are weighed down with food after trading away all of their equipment that you gifted them.
Or that in dwarf fortress, the fellow who made an artifact trades it in for everyone in the fortresses stuff.
Well that's unlikely given that they would be one on one trades but...LOL

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8163 on: December 05, 2013, 12:14:10 am »

In reference to the new post about trading; do the dwarves trade in dwarf mode too?

Also, in adventure mode, will your companions be liable to trade away important items for food while with you?

I may be wrong, but I think this feature is only for player characters in adventurer mode.  So dwarves won't do it in fortress mode and your companions in adventurer mode still lack the agency to initiate trades by themselves.  Possibly.  I want to know, if I give my buddies a bunch of rocks to hold, will they give them back for free?
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

Meansdarling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8164 on: December 05, 2013, 12:14:58 am »

It'd be neat if they did though. But I could live with it being just player agency.

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8165 on: December 05, 2013, 12:16:30 am »

Sure it'll come along sometime!  In the new release people will actually be doing stuff in adventurer mode which is a first.  So I'm sure they'll be trading away soontm.
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8166 on: December 05, 2013, 02:22:51 am »

I may be wrong, but I think this feature is only for player characters in adventurer mode.  So dwarves won't do it in fortress mode and your companions in adventurer mode still lack the agency to initiate trades by themselves.  Possibly.  I want to know, if I give my buddies a bunch of rocks to hold, will they give them back for free?
If you're giving out rocks, why limit yourself to friends? People you're planning to attack may be happy to hold on to a few heavy stones for you while you try to put a sword through them. . .
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 02:26:20 am by King Mir »

Anatoli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8167 on: December 05, 2013, 02:56:46 am »

You can also give anybody anything.
So now it basically makes the stores meaningless, and vampires can now be used as a repository for goods.
It will be a lot easier to just find the local legendary dude, and trade his weapons and armor for the junk you have.

Also, now if you want to kill someone, just come to them and trade their weapons for your junk. Then attack.

Not sure I like the sound of all that. Easily exploitable, negates already established systems, and may take a very long time to fix. Can't we just have it limited to our companions until we get proper restrictions and psychology behind trading? I mean, if we and our companions are already treated as an army, wouldn't it make sense to also have the army have it's equipment? And if not, I'd rather just keep the status quo.

Ribs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8168 on: December 05, 2013, 03:25:53 am »

So now it basically makes the stores meaningless, and vampires can now be used as a repository for goods.
It will be a lot easier to just find the local legendary dude, and trade his weapons and armor for the junk you have.

Also, now if you want to kill someone, just come to them and trade their weapons for your junk. Then attack.

Not sure I like the sound of all that. Easily exploitable, negates already established systems, and may take a very long time to fix. Can't we just have it limited to our companions until we get proper restrictions and psychology behind trading? I mean, if we and our companions are already treated as an army, wouldn't it make sense to also have the army have it's equipment? And if not, I'd rather just keep the status quo.

I'm sure people, especially soldiers, won't give up their weapons that easily. You also have to consider how expensive weapons are in general. It will probably cost you a few gems or dozens of craft trinkets to get a sinlge copper spear from somebody.

And the only friendly people that carry weapons are soldiers and guards from towns that aren't hostile to you anyway. Not only it would be incredibly expensive and tedious to buy all their weapons, it would probably be a one-off thing now because when you attack you'll now get a bad reputation and people will probably avoid trading with you.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 03:28:52 am by Ribs »

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8169 on: December 05, 2013, 03:28:22 am »

If you're giving out rocks, why limit yourself to friends? People you're planning to attack may be happy to hold on to a few heavy stones for you while you try to put a sword through them. . .

Hehe, here buddy, have these rocks and giraffe meat.  Yes, take it all.  For free!  That's right.  Now dodge this!

I don't think giving people things is quite the same as trading, so there is obviously still a need for shops.  The devlog says they will agree to a trade if they come out better.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8170 on: December 05, 2013, 03:55:47 am »

Hehe, here buddy, have these rocks and giraffe meat.  Yes, take it all.  For free!  That's right.  Now dodge this!

Isn't the combat speed/move speed split wonderful?

Anatoli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8171 on: December 05, 2013, 03:56:07 am »

I'm sure people, especially soldiers, won't give up their weapons that easily. You also have to consider how expensive weapons are in general. It will probably cost you a few gems or dozens of craft trinkets to get a sinlge copper spear from somebody.

And the only friendly people that carry weapons are soldiers and guards from towns that aren't hostile to you anyway. Not only it would be incredibly expensive and tedious to buy all their weapons, it would probably be a one-off thing now because when you attack you'll now get a bad reputation and people will probably avoid trading with you.
1: Will they? Also, it's not exactly hard to get rich in adventure mode. It just may be hard to find good weapons without abandoning a fortress.
2: I never said to buy all the weapons from everyone. I'm saying if you need to kill some Urist McVampire or McGangLeader, you can get his weapons, and then attack him freely.
3: No witnesses.

I don't think giving people things is quite the same as trading, so there is obviously still a need for shops.  The devlog says they will agree to a trade if they come out better.
Aren't the shops trying to come out better too? I don't see the difference.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8172 on: December 05, 2013, 04:10:01 am »

Shops will be more likely to have something besides just the clothes on their back to trade. Besides, Toady explicitly stated that this is a temporary situation: it'll change later when he has more time to devote to that, rather than postpone the new release even longer.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8173 on: December 05, 2013, 04:23:27 am »

Isn't the combat speed/move speed split wonderful?
It helps, but weight still gives you minuses to your attack force (or whatever) for carrying a lot. Maybe dodge ability too. So you just need to give away more stone and giraffe meat.

Anatoli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8174 on: December 05, 2013, 05:30:25 am »

Shops will be more likely to have something besides just the clothes on their back to trade. Besides, Toady explicitly stated that this is a temporary situation: it'll change later when he has more time to devote to that, rather than postpone the new release even longer.
The most logical time to fix this would be in the Merchant Arc, which is probably years away. And there is nothing that can last longer than a temporary situation.

I think that instead of postponing the release, the feature should just be shelved, until it can be introduced without these problems. Especially since the idea of being able to trade anything with anyone goes a little beyond equipping companions, and can be a giant project on it's own.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 05:32:50 am by Anatoli »
Pages: 1 ... 543 544 [545] 546 547 ... 748