Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 601 602 [603] 604 605 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3714646 times)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #9030 on: January 31, 2014, 08:15:45 pm »

Thank you Toady!

So much information. Hype remains elevated.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9031 on: January 31, 2014, 08:46:23 pm »

If I remember Footkerchief's spoiled comment, he had a different sort of demon site in mind.  The outside ones aren't embarkable if they are visible, and their items would only become available in trade through bugs and other issues, which are common enough.  However, the outside ones have conditions upon which they become visible that are a little different than normal, so if you stay away from adv mode you'll probably find yourself embarking on them once in a rare while.  In any case, item-wise, I'm trying to keep them contained.  It actually is gray goo if they come out of their areas before they are ready, and they certainly aren't ready for prime-time yet, unless you like adjective soup.

I can't wait to see what this is all about.

Raws aren't very interesting for jumping -- there is a CANNOT_JUMP tag.  Flesh balls have it, thankfully.

A rubbery core would fix that right up.

Quote from: Vattic
Will falling water have any impact on climbing?

Water has that pushing effect in general, although I don't remember if it happens with falling water.  I suppose the best thing to do is fire up the arena with a climber and challenge the waterfall...  It changes my text from "in air" to "swimming" and it makes me moves slower, but it doesn't actually push me, and I still use my climbing gait/hold the whole time (so I'm not actually swimming).  I also tried dumping a whole water column on myself, and I was drowning briefly and moving very slowly, but it didn't push me.  Yeah, upon checking, flow pushing bits are just stored for horizontal directions (the thing controlling the water animation is also what does item/unit pushing for that kind of liquid).

Falling magma also doesn't seem to have temperature effects.

There's quite a bit going on, though the sums of strengths and percentage loss from each side are a main part of it, and those are simple numbers.  There is also the wound/etc. state of the dwarf, and amount of fear vs. mastering fear, which are governed by multiple personality facets (some dwarves simply don't get as afraid in the first place, and some feel fear but can handle it -- in adventure mode you can see which by what they say, and I may direct those statements into dwarf mode combat logs so you can get a measure of what's going on).
[...]
There are levels of dealing with it, but the top state is either running or cowering.  Some dwarves are capable of avoiding the flight state when their terror is maxed out if they have an outlier personality facet.  Whether or not they run or cower currently just depends on if they think they can get away, but there should probably be more to it.

This sounds awesome.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #9032 on: January 31, 2014, 09:05:30 pm »

I guess this is a good place to drop this:

Lars Støttrup ‏@Trancecend  18h
@Bay12Games Any chance of a UI cleanup in the next version? IMO some game systems do similar things (thinking "i" vs "q"). Love DF!

Bay 12 Games
‏@Trancecend This one has dragged on long enough -- have to see what we get during bug fix releases.  UI to be hit by job priorities then.
1:02 PM - 30 Jan 2014

Who is excited? :)
The other updates and tweaks havent been given much fanfare, I wouldnt expect any UI changes from the bug fixes to much either.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #9033 on: January 31, 2014, 09:13:32 pm »

Cheers for the reply.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9034 on: January 31, 2014, 09:36:01 pm »

Quote from: Toady One (in response to a question about demon sites)
In any case, item-wise, I'm trying to keep them contained.  It actually is gray goo if they come out of their areas before they are ready, and they certainly aren't ready for prime-time yet, unless you like adjective soup.

Are you talking about the world devouring type of grey goo (as in this) or are you using it as a metaphor in a different way?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #9035 on: January 31, 2014, 10:04:13 pm »

Yeah, that's the same stuff -- I use it for what happens if you just try to procedurally generate everything.  You've enabled the mechanics to take over and turn the world into a degenerate mush.  Right now the mush is contained in the new sites, but the game would be fundamentally broken if it were allowed to escape everywhere.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Little Kingpin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9036 on: January 31, 2014, 10:09:29 pm »

Will climbing affect dodging or blocking or any other means of avoiding attacks?

Also, will ranged attacks be affected by the direction of fire? Such as someone firing down a wall at a climber being less likely to hit than a archer firing perpendicular to the wall because of the smaller profile presented?

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #9037 on: January 31, 2014, 10:31:50 pm »

I wondered about that actually, the Gray Goo thing threw me off. Very peculiar thing, those demon sites; Toady, you certainly have done a good job teasing us, for those and in general.

I wonder what those items are...
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9038 on: January 31, 2014, 10:36:40 pm »

Also, will ranged attacks be affected by the direction of fire? Such as someone firing down a wall at a climber being less likely to hit than a archer firing perpendicular to the wall because of the smaller profile presented?

Ranged combat mechanics haven't been changed (beyond the bare necessities).  It'll be the same as the current release in this regard.

TastyMints

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:love of murder]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9039 on: February 01, 2014, 12:32:39 am »

Cheers and thanks for the reply Toady.

I wondered about that actually, the Gray Goo thing threw me off. Very peculiar thing, those demon sites; Toady, you certainly have done a good job teasing us, for those and in general.

I wonder what those items are...

Various pointy objects with with few peaceful uses, no doubt.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9040 on: February 01, 2014, 12:41:06 am »

So much awesome info.  Thanks, Toady!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #9041 on: February 01, 2014, 01:09:36 am »

Yay! Answers!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Simca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9042 on: February 01, 2014, 03:12:55 am »

So I searched and didn't see anything obvious, so here is a question from me, a complete noob.

I really like Dragons, so I embarked on a Dragon's lair. I didn't even need the 'embark anywhere' mod to do it, which was neat, and there were SEVEN Dragons there! (It was an otherwise empty island in the middle of the ocean, so the Dragons were really the only ones who could reach it to settle there.)

However, none of the Dragons at the lair were tameable/trappable in Fortress mode because they were 'residents'. Has this been changed/resolved in any way? Can animal residents be trapped and then have their allegiances/residencies changed correctly when they are trapped now?

Thanks a ton! :)

P.S. I have no idea if this question requires a dev (Toady) response or can be answered by other users - I'm fine with an answer from any source, of course!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 03:15:07 am by Simca »

Nasikabatrachus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who watchdwarfs the watchdwarves?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9043 on: February 01, 2014, 03:42:11 am »

Thanks for the answers, Toady One! I can't wait to trick an elf into eating some adjective soup.
"I want to have goblins about me, for I am courageous. The courage which scareth away ghosts, createth for itself goblins--it wanteth to laugh." Thus Spake Zarathustra, chapter 7, Friedrich Nietzsche

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9044 on: February 01, 2014, 04:20:14 am »

I really like Dragons, so I embarked on a Dragon's lair. I didn't even need the 'embark anywhere' mod to do it, which was neat, and there were SEVEN Dragons there! (It was an otherwise empty island in the middle of the ocean, so the Dragons were really the only ones who could reach it to settle there.)

However, none of the Dragons at the lair were tameable/trappable in Fortress mode because they were 'residents'. Has this been changed/resolved in any way? Can animal residents be trapped and then have their allegiances/residencies changed correctly when they are trapped now?

I don't think any relevant changes have been made.  What's stopping you from trapping the dragons?
Pages: 1 ... 601 602 [603] 604 605 ... 748