Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 607 608 [609] 610 611 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3734469 times)

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #9120 on: February 05, 2014, 12:44:06 pm »

So, with a release with such colossal scope for bugs as this, are we dealing with ludicrous glitches, ascii blue sceens or hard drive melting for bug testing? I know toady has licked some impressive bugs in the devlogs, but i wonder what players have come up against in previous releases early versions.

DON'T PANIC
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 12:45:43 pm by Novel Scoops »
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9121 on: February 05, 2014, 12:49:11 pm »

Standard DF procedure, people find bugs, report them and then proceed to kill Elves in creative ways with the bug until its resolved.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9122 on: February 05, 2014, 12:54:11 pm »

10 days + 2 weeks, hmm. . . I could be getting a DF release for my birthday! (March 1st)

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9123 on: February 05, 2014, 02:04:44 pm »

Standard DF procedure, people find bugs, report them and then proceed to kill Elves in creative ways with the bug until its resolved.

Let's face it, it's not even about killing the Elves anymore, that's just tradition. No, it's about turning everything to your own advantage. It's about establishing dominance and showing the Elves that you don't even need to torture them anymore, you can burn wood into charcoal in front of them and they can't do a thing. It's about total domination and freedom.
Yes, that's the essence of it. Freedom. To do as you wish. To show that you can't be stopped. To show that no matter how many lives it takes, how many mountains must be mined and how much magma has to be pumped, you cannot be stopped.

Ah, who am I kidding, of course it's about killing things, mainly Elves and the trees they love.
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9124 on: February 05, 2014, 02:27:00 pm »

Let's face it, it's not even about killing the Elves anymore, that's just tradition. No, it's about turning everything to your own advantage. It's about establishing dominance and showing the Elves that you don't even need to torture them anymore, you can burn wood into charcoal in front of them and they can't do a thing. It's about total domination and freedom.
Yes, that's the essence of it. Freedom. To do as you wish. To show that you can't be stopped. To show that no matter how many lives it takes, how many mountains must be mined and how much magma has to be pumped, you cannot be stopped.

Ah, who am I kidding, of course it's about killing things, mainly Elves and the trees they love.

Is this Breaking Dwarf, seasons 3 to 5?
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9125 on: February 05, 2014, 02:40:30 pm »

Which invites the question: what happens to a tree's occupants when the tree is chopped down?  Whatever it is, it can't be good.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9126 on: February 05, 2014, 02:53:14 pm »

Which invites the question: what happens to a tree's occupants when the tree is chopped down?  Whatever it is, it can't be good.

Cave-in mechanics, probably.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9127 on: February 05, 2014, 03:27:33 pm »

Cave-in mechanics, probably.

Without the cave-in dust effect hopefully as that could get annoying.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9128 on: February 05, 2014, 03:46:44 pm »

Quote from: 09/08/2013 devlog
The multi-tile trees fall over now when chopped down by a dwarf. I went with having logs from the trunk segments fall down like projectiles, so you get a primitive sort of animation, and the tree doesn't go anywhere it shouldn't be able to. And critters get a chance to dodge out of the way if they end up in the way. You can choose the direction of the fall for larger trees by choosing which tile to chop, but for smaller trees, it'll just be away from wherever the woodcutter ends up, which you can only control indirectly at this point. I also messed around with the new personalities a bit and taught the new dwarven brain how to stand up again, which has been an ongoing issue.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9129 on: February 05, 2014, 05:10:14 pm »

Alright, so what are you people going to do when the release comes out?

I think I may get started with adventure mode, now that the world is working properly (at last). I may also create a small fortress, retire it, and bring in some adventurers, though it is likely they may get run over by elephants or hippos beforehand. I really hope we can have our human and elf adventurers work within the fortress without using hacks.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9130 on: February 05, 2014, 05:51:05 pm »

Gonna open up arena mode and test out the new combat mechanics. And if my computer hasn't blue screened by then, I'll try to gen a world and visit some of the new civ sites.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9131 on: February 05, 2014, 05:51:31 pm »

Okay, everybody... I hate to be "that guy" but remember, Toady has to read through all these comments, and most of them are becoming seriously off-topic. I know we're all very, very excited (myself included), but let's try not to derail this thread like Spearbreakers. :P

Toady, you mentioned in the past FotF update that there may be a tag incoming for graspless insects that allows them to climb. What are the chances of you also making a tag to disable climbing, for creatures that have grasps, but can't climb for one reason or another? My reasoning behind it being there are some creatures that can pick things up, but don't have an anatomical structure that would permit them to climb, either by not having enough strength in their forelimbs, or lacking hind legs for the purpose. This might be mainly for modders, though, and I'm not sure if it would make it to your todo list.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 05:53:52 pm by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

DVNO

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9132 on: February 05, 2014, 06:11:31 pm »

Alright, so what are you people going to do when the release comes out?

Crank Megabeasts, SemiMegabeasts, Titans, Vampires, Were-beasts, Evil Interactions & clouds & rains , the works, all up to 999 and turn 'Reveal History' off in Advanced world gen.

I want the last vestiges of the civilized world to be running scared when my hero comes into the world, I think that will give her the busiest 'to do list' possible when it comes to quests. 
Al mondo mal non e senza rimedio

Reach me via Bitmessage ~ BM-2DC7sWixk2iSKThdX9thhyrxWBeWRXUEv9

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9133 on: February 05, 2014, 06:16:31 pm »

Toady, you mentioned in the past FotF update that there may be a tag incoming for graspless insects that allows them to climb. What are the chances of you also making a tag to disable climbing, for creatures that have grasps, but can't climb for one reason or another? My reasoning behind it being there are some creatures that can pick things up, but don't have an anatomical structure that would permit them to climb, either by not having enough strength in their forelimbs, or lacking hind legs for the purpose. This might be mainly for modders, though, and I'm not sure if it would make it to your todo list.

As things stand, climbers need both a climbing gait and a grasp in their raws.  Toady was talking about adding a special tag to allow insects to climb without a grasp.  If you want a grasp but no climbing, you can remove the climbing gait from that creature.

PigtailLlama

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9134 on: February 05, 2014, 06:59:56 pm »

how about a [IS_CLAWED] tag to solve certain problems with non-grasping creatures such as insects and felines?
Pages: 1 ... 607 608 [609] 610 611 ... 748