Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 613 614 [615] 616 617 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3755544 times)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #9210 on: February 14, 2014, 05:31:57 pm »

(a usable and useful revision of the Q screen exactly along those lines is one of the big remaining critters, hopefully we'll get all the knowledge data we currently track there and at the fingertips)
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #9211 on: February 15, 2014, 06:38:06 am »

In the next update, and in the general future, will it ever be possible to be robbed whilst on the road? Maybe just killed, then robbed, but being left alive would make it much more interesting.

Sorry if this has already been asked, or if it's so ridiculous no one but me would ask it  :P
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 08:07:07 am by Th4DwArfY1 »
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

tunio6538

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9212 on: February 15, 2014, 07:51:37 am »

1. Toady, will old saves be compatible with new release (especially fortress mode)? We could wait even longer for release with such feature - backward save compatibility.
2. While messing with combat code, have You changed anything with combat alerts? Will we be able to reduce their amount? Some of us would like, for example, see only "your companion/enemy has died", or "you missed/hit the target", ignoring the rest (like "your sword strike bruised enemy's skin!").
3. Have You adjusted job priorities by a chance? Those brokers spending whole time drinking and eating and no-job'ing are serious problems during caravan time. That also goes with dwarven medical care - one need to disable all other jobs on doctors to get them working on treating patients.
4. What would You like to do with Dwarf Fortress game in near future? On what new features of this game would You work?

Thank You in advance for all the answers :).

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #9213 on: February 15, 2014, 08:17:37 am »

In the next update, and in the general future, will it ever be possible to be robbed whilst on the road? Maybe just killed, then robbed, but being left alive would make it much more interesting.

Sorry this has already been asked, or if it's so ridiculous no one but me would ask it  :P
Not in the next version, but at some point in the future. The Thief Role, while it is on the other side of the law, should provide all the necessary tools to do this - capture, being bound, surrendering to robbers...

1. Toady, will old saves be compatible with new release (especially fortress mode)? We could wait even longer for release with such feature - backward save compatibility.
2. While messing with combat code, have You changed anything with combat alerts? Will we be able to reduce their amount? Some of us would like, for example, see only "your companion/enemy has died", or "you missed/hit the target", ignoring the rest (like "your sword strike bruised enemy's skin!").
3. Have You adjusted job priorities by a chance? Those brokers spending whole time drinking and eating and no-job'ing are serious problems during caravan time. That also goes with dwarven medical care - one need to disable all other jobs on doctors to get them working on treating patients.
4. What would You like to do with Dwarf Fortress game in near future? On what new features of this game would You work?

1. No. Toady has said a few times that adding backwards compatibility for the new version would take too long for an already long development cycle.
3. There may be incidental changes due  to dwarf brain work, but not yet. Job priorities will however be one of the things that Toady will work on during/after the bugfix cycle following the release.
4. I'm pretty sure Toady hasn't decided yet, but candidates he mentioned include Starting Scenarios (will in-game hill dwarves), Taverns/Inns, and Thief Role work.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9214 on: February 15, 2014, 09:56:46 am »

1. No, there are WAY too many changes between this version and the next for backwards compatibility to work easily.

2. There may be some minor changes due to the new combat stuff, but I don't think he would have messed much with that, Maybe a few new ones related to the non-lethal combat, there wouldn't be any large sweeping changes.

3. As Knight Otu said, there may be some incidential changes or side effects from the dwarf brain work, but Toady One said that he wanted to tackle the job priorities stuff next I believe.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9215 on: February 15, 2014, 12:33:49 pm »

You've said you dread the fourth dimension(s). What addition are you really looking forward to?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

adasdad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9216 on: February 15, 2014, 12:35:16 pm »

Will adventurers ever have abilities that are currently limited to dwarves? (using workshops, gathering plants, or even mining or construction)
There are no words to describe my state of euphoria right now...
euphoric?

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9217 on: February 15, 2014, 12:38:56 pm »

Will adventurers ever have abilities that are currently limited to dwarves? (using workshops, gathering plants, or even mining or construction)

ADVENTURER SKILLS ARC: It's nice to have all those jobs and professions sitting around in the dwarf mode. The adventurer should be able to do these things, especially those skills related to survival in the wilderness. Eventually you'll be able to place constructions, create a home and have your own site on the map.

Yep ^^

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9218 on: February 15, 2014, 01:29:09 pm »

When trade is being worked on, will it be affected by a civ's domesticated animals, such as fliers or beasts of burden?
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9219 on: February 15, 2014, 03:53:58 pm »

When trade is being worked on, will it be affected by a civ's domesticated animals, such as fliers or beasts of burden?

They already are, aren't they? They still need the tags that allow them to be used in caravans and define them as 'beasts of burden'.

No telling what would happen with using fliers as caravan animals though, given their pathing problems.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9220 on: February 15, 2014, 04:16:46 pm »

World gen trade, not dwarf mode caravans ;)
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9221 on: February 15, 2014, 04:32:10 pm »

Oh I see, misunderstood your question there.

The world gen trading will probably still use animals that have the neccesary tokens. The ridiculous weight that the animals haul will have to be dealt with first though.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9222 on: February 15, 2014, 11:27:10 pm »

Quote from: devlog
02/15/2014 Toady One So I did the conflict summaries, and then I continued working a bit with the emotional reactions of people that receive the summarized information (which is roughly the same as the emotions they get when they witness the events themselves). There have been a series of macabre experiments that'll be continuing into tomorrow, as I break various bad news items to people, sometimes having been the cause of them... I think if somebody has a relative killed in front of them, they can have six emotions that hit them simultaneously (horror/violent-death-witnessed, terror/in-combat, fear/death-injuries-witnessed, shock/unexpected-death-of-loved-one, grief/death-of-loved-one and rage/killer-of-loved-one-witnessed-during-act, as the game understands them, maybe more coming), which are then filtered through the personality/atts to see how they are amplified/suppressed/dealt with, and whether the person can react rationally or is impelled along for a bit. There'll be a running series of emotional outbursts verbalized so you can see it in action, hopefully moderated so that it isn't too overwhelming at the worst of times. Getting the conflict summaries connected to entity/culture/personal reputations is the big bridge to gap in terms of getting insurrections finished, and I'm still wrapping my head around it, since there's a ton of information for the game to process and it'll need to take a lot of non-harmful shortcuts to keep the processor safe.

The personality-based reactions sound awesome.  I shouldn't be, but I'm surprised that there's still a big chunk of work left on insurrections.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9223 on: February 15, 2014, 11:35:13 pm »

There'll be a running series of emotional outbursts verbalized so you can see it in action

If I'm reading this correctly, this means that people will be all like "NO!" when they see their wife killed by a goblin in front of them and that will be visible in the combat logs?

Very sweet.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9224 on: February 16, 2014, 12:43:35 am »

You've said you dread the fourth dimension(s). What addition are you really looking forward to?

Isn't the fourth dimension time?

Anyways, total immersion is a go!

I wonder how the stuff in the newest devlog will manefest in Fort Mode?....
Pages: 1 ... 613 614 [615] 616 617 ... 748