Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 623 624 [625] 626 627 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3714660 times)

Rencini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #9360 on: February 24, 2014, 05:23:49 pm »

Will adventurers be able to reproduce in the next release? How does it happen, if at all? Will we be able to play as the son/daughter of x adventurer if they manage to reproduce?* On a related note, will we be able to fast forward time once world gen is complete? Can our adventurers even marry next release?**

Moreover, happy birthday! This thread is one year old since February 15th, 2012!
*I can imagine legacy adventurer mode games. Brace yourself for much !FUN!
**Asking about kids and talking about adventurer legacy games, but I don't even know if they can have a spouse!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9361 on: February 24, 2014, 05:31:56 pm »

Will adventurers be able to reproduce in the next release? How does it happen, if at all? Will we be able to play as the son/daughter of x adventurer if they manage to reproduce?* On a related note, will we be able to fast forward time once world gen is complete? Can our adventurers even marry next release?**

Nope, all adventurer companionship is still platonic.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #9362 on: February 24, 2014, 05:39:19 pm »

Related to the most recent Dev post:

Will the faction AIs do anything on their own, especially based on player actions? For instance, if the player destroys much of an invading force will the AI then decide that it is safe to stage a rebellion to force them out entirely?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #9363 on: February 24, 2014, 05:44:54 pm »

Yes and no.  If you retire an adventurer they will become an NPC and thus be able to marry and have kids.  However this is only because all historical figures can do that, not because there are any special new systems in place.  You won't be able to directly start a relationship or have kids as an adventurer, the AI will have to do it for you.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

DVNO

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9364 on: February 24, 2014, 07:08:49 pm »

Are there any positive interactions an adventurer can perform with a companion this release?

Staring vacantly off in the distance as my companion drops to his/her knees, overcome with tears at the sight of his/her hamlet in smouldering ruins seems kind of ... well, awkward.

The largest part of being a leader is getting your people back up after the blows are dealt, afterall. I'd hope to be able to give them a 'We'll get them for this, grrr' and put a reassuring hand and on them without the game recognizing it as combat and the party reacts to it as a mini civil war and all turns into murder. Is the game at that stage, coming next release after this, or ...?

« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 07:19:42 pm by DVNO »
Al mondo mal non e senza rimedio

Reach me via Bitmessage ~ BM-2DC7sWixk2iSKThdX9thhyrxWBeWRXUEv9

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9365 on: February 24, 2014, 11:10:41 pm »

Moreover, happy birthday! This thread is one year old since February 15th, 2012!

Make it two years, since we're in 2014 now.

People lying to you in varying degrees, now that's pretty sweet and game-changing.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #9366 on: February 24, 2014, 11:32:23 pm »

I got a few questions:
-With combat receiving all these recent changes, do you think at some point (not in this update) we will be seeing 'mental' skills, like liar, observer and intimidation affecting the flow of combat? For example, liar skill vs observer and judge of intent in terms of dealing with feints, bluffs, and the like?

-With the new "multi attack" option, will we see an option to commit an 'attack sequence' at some point?

-What sorts of other combat maneuvers would you like to see in the game, Toady?

The new update upcoming has me so excited~

EDIT: I may have to clarify - by 'attack sequence', i mean specific arrangements of actions such as the classic 'flurry of fists'
 or other martial maneuvers.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 11:34:20 pm by iceball3 »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9367 on: February 25, 2014, 12:23:22 am »

-With combat receiving all these recent changes, do you think at some point (not in this update) we will be seeing 'mental' skills, like liar, observer and intimidation affecting the flow of combat? For example, liar skill vs observer and judge of intent in terms of dealing with feints, bluffs, and the like?

Observer is already used, and you can expect the others to become relevant where reasonable:
Rainseeker:    So what is... How does the uh... What skills have you incorporated into this in the new stuff you do?
Toady:   There's no, there's no, if I remember, there's no new ones but the observer skill comes up a lot more. It used to... The observer skill used to give you... which is the sort of... it's called situational awareness in the code and it's just sort of for … for observing.
And a kind of paying attention to your surroundings and especially during a fight. And it used to just help you with being hit from the side and so you wouldn't get the 'hit you from the side' minus or whatever, and it also helped you judge when people were going to charge so you didn't get surprised by people's charges. But now it's used to give you for four or five little pieces of information about the attack, depending on how good the roll is, and that can really make a huge difference in your decision making so that skill became a lot more important. I haven't broken up parrying or anything like that, so there's not like 'defense with a sword' versus 'offense with a sword' - and I'm not going to do any kind of break ups of those skills until we get to the actual combat styles and techniques, in which case this is going to blossom into, you know, a hundred different things and you know, get rather out of control which is nice, for that part.

-With the new "multi attack" option, will we see an option to commit an 'attack sequence' at some point?

-What sorts of other combat maneuvers would you like to see in the game, Toady?

Combat styles

Combat styles involving weapons or natural attacks with associated stances and moves
    Ability to learn moves, etc. from others with whom you have a high enough reputation
    Certain moves may only be available as specific counters, while others might just be regular attacks
    Ability to create new moves/styles when highly skilled

« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 12:28:16 am by Footkerchief »

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9368 on: February 25, 2014, 02:51:55 am »

Quote from: devlog
People can lie about their opinion of an entity and their initial reactions are moderated based on how afraid they are of the rulers, if it fits their personality.
Longest function of the day is moderate_private_opinion_of_entity_through_cultural_identity(), which filters an opinion through cultural rumors/reputation and personality to change an overt hate reaction into fear, for example, and then the public opinion function continues to morph that based on the audience, so they can swap from hate to fear to "all for it" before you hear them speak.
Oh man. Oh man. NPCs grow up so fast. Brings a tear to my eye.

How much of a low-hanging fruit would you consider multiple-person conversations to be? Will we be able to address large crowds in adv mode anytime soon, or is that slated to be covered by different mechanics entirely?
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

Cycle

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9369 on: February 25, 2014, 05:23:18 am »

Question:
With the new opinion facets in play, can we be expecting large scale retaliation from villagers in sites or even in dwarfs mode?
I could imagine what kind of hell it would brew if all my dwarfs started turning against my nobles.

Can't wait to see the new AI. So much  social !!SCIENCE!! to be done!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 05:34:50 am by Cycle »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9370 on: February 25, 2014, 09:38:26 am »

How much of a low-hanging fruit would you consider multiple-person conversations to be? Will we be able to address large crowds in adv mode anytime soon, or is that slated to be covered by different mechanics entirely?

Already implemented:
02/15/2013 Toady One In our ongoing 'moments of restraint' boss rush, I'm currently up against the conversation engine. I've decided I pretty much have to get conversations out into regular play so that I can tell a room full of people that I just killed a goblin patrol, but I'm trying to avoid a completely monstrous overhaul. Bartering will remain an instanteous activity for instance -- pulling that out right now is unnecessary and would take a bit of time. It is a continuing process, but the result should be cool, and it'll allow you to spread news in a more satisfying fashion (rather than telling one person and having it magically spread around instantly, though they will still spread news after a time once they are offloaded). I should have an honest insurrection in place before long here.

02/20/2013 Toady One The new conversation approach is working out well enough. Each statement takes about as much time as a regular step, so if you find enough to talk about in some later release, you'd be able to chat until the sun goes down. This also means that conversations are susceptible to interruption, and each statement made by people you are talking to is a "move" they are making either simultaneously with their other actions (like walking and fighting) or instead of them. Incidents you are a part of or rumors that you hear now go into your head, and you can pass them along or bring them up with whoever you talk to. Right now these incidents include every time you strangle a wolf out in the woods, so I'll probably have to find a way to manage the lists according to how interesting they are. In any case, since you can now bring up the occupation and related events, it's a matter of adding some reactions and conversation options geared toward getting the ball rolling.

Question:
With the new opinion facets in play, can we be expecting large scale retaliation from villagers in sites or even in dwarfs mode?
I could imagine what kind of hell it would brew if all my dwarfs started turning against my nobles.

There won't be Fortress Mode insurrections.  People can rebel in Adv. Mode by becoming bandits, joining the adventurer as a companion, or (I think) jumping into a fight that somebody else started.  I don't think a spontaneous uprising can happen yet.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 09:43:14 am by Footkerchief »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9371 on: February 25, 2014, 10:14:03 am »

Quote from: devlog
People can lie about their opinion of an entity and their initial reactions are moderated based on how afraid they are of the rulers, if it fits their personality.
Longest function of the day is moderate_private_opinion_of_entity_through_cultural_identity(), which filters an opinion through cultural rumors/reputation and personality to change an overt hate reaction into fear, for example, and then the public opinion function continues to morph that based on the audience, so they can swap from hate to fear to "all for it" before you hear them speak.
Oh man. Oh man. NPCs grow up so fast. Brings a tear to my eye.

Isn't that pretty much already in via merchants? I know it's not multiple individual conversations, but it's multiple people talking at the same time.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #9372 on: February 25, 2014, 10:54:04 am »

Isn't that pretty much already in via merchants? I know it's not multiple individual conversations, but it's multiple people talking at the same time.
That's not really a good answer to that question. The multiple conversations bit is the core of the question, after all. Market banter is little more than hearing a capybara somewhere - neither actually expect a response - and is only a very narrow topic.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #9373 on: February 25, 2014, 12:21:10 pm »

Yeah, there's a difference between being able to hear multiple conversations going on at once, and being able to have a single conversation with a room full of people ("Hail, peaceful villagers, I have slain the dragon!" "You're full of shit!" "No, here's his head!" "He's a hero!" "Free beer for the hero!" etc.) It's suggested by the first Footkerchief quote, but not settled, I think.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9374 on: February 25, 2014, 06:24:45 pm »

That's not really a good answer to that question. The multiple conversations bit is the core of the question, after all. Market banter is little more than hearing a capybara somewhere - neither actually expect a response - and is only a very narrow topic.
Yeah, there's a difference between being able to hear multiple conversations going on at once, and being able to have a single conversation with a room full of people ("Hail, peaceful villagers, I have slain the dragon!" "You're full of shit!" "No, here's his head!" "He's a hero!" "Free beer for the hero!" etc.) It's suggested by the first Footkerchief quote, but not settled, I think.

I misread the question the first time, or maybe didn't read the whole question.
Pages: 1 ... 623 624 [625] 626 627 ... 748