Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 624 625 [626] 627 628 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3715035 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #9375 on: February 25, 2014, 06:30:59 pm »

I would love to get to the "Free beer for the hero!" Stage  :P

Dear goodness, the flashes of Drunk Fortress in adventure mode  :o
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Uristsonsonson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9376 on: February 25, 2014, 06:45:31 pm »

Now that your creation* can lie to you, how can you know anything is says is true anymore?

Nevermind that it's more or less established by now that the Toady's relationship to DF is basically the same as Ponder Stibbon's to Hex...

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #9377 on: February 25, 2014, 07:15:54 pm »

Or doctor Bowmans relationship to HAL or Florence.

heh i am sure today has build in some LIE indicators like colorcoding the text. (Which would actually be awesome for consolers proffesional, Liers and such!)

Also you can test the Functions outside the Game-mode i am sure ... much like the Arena-mode. It helps if you see a Dorf and other sentient being as list of stats instead of actual individuals. You do then a boundary analyses (say at what point/score should the AI lie) and then you force a situation with the appropriate numbers to test if its behaves like intended. Hell i had a job which was essentialy testing blackboxed Software with only the designspecs.

It would be cool if the Lieing could be more generalized writing a few such long function seems somehow tedious. It would need a general notion thought about which information one should lie. Half of unified system seems to be done anyway if the NPCs can already consider your reputation and construct a Trust score.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9378 on: February 25, 2014, 07:26:43 pm »

Nevermind that it's more or less established by now that the Toady's relationship to DF is basically the same as Ponder Stibbon's to Hex...
Could we recreate Discworld on a DF computer?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

StrongAxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9379 on: February 25, 2014, 08:41:28 pm »

Will adventurers be able to detect being lied to, or is that the reference to
I haven't incorporated the old dwarf-mode lying/etc. skills, though I imagine that'll come into play at some point when there's more time to play around with it.
Dev Log 2014-02-24

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9380 on: February 25, 2014, 08:56:03 pm »

Now that your creation* can lie to you, how can you know anything is says is true anymore?

I'm sure he has devtools that can look and see what is happening with the coding.

Scotsmen

• Bay Watcher
  • FREEDOOOOOMM!!!! And cake.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9381 on: February 25, 2014, 11:36:13 pm »

Any idea when we can get a DF2014 pre-release?  :P
As he waits to be unrestrained and taken backstage, he can't help but think I miss my fun bits.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9382 on: February 25, 2014, 11:41:00 pm »

Any idea when we can get a DF2014 pre-release?  :P

Toady did an advance bug-test copy a few years ago for an elite team of supersoldiers but I think he decided that it wasn't that beneficial in the long run.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #9383 on: February 26, 2014, 12:27:09 am »

To continue the line of thought I had in that thread, it's fairly accurate to call the initial release the early release given how much is changed in the minor updates immediately after. I mean we got minecarts in the little updates.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9384 on: February 26, 2014, 12:30:15 am »

To continue the line of thought I had in that thread, it's fairly accurate to call the initial release the early release given how much is changed in the minor updates immediately after. I mean we got minecarts in the little updates.

And adventurer reactions, bogeymen, night creatures...

Uristsonsonson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9385 on: February 26, 2014, 01:46:00 am »

I'm sure he has devtools that can look and see what is happening with the coding.

Unless of course it can figure out how to manipulate the results... :P

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9386 on: February 27, 2014, 12:50:27 pm »

Unless of course it can figure out how to manipulate the results... :P

I'm pretty sure that's not a deal yet, though I guess it's possible. Someone says the truth or lies when the code says he should be doing the opposite or something due to a bug. Maybe.
Damn, if the dwarves don't become SkyNet I don't know what will.
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9387 on: February 27, 2014, 01:22:53 pm »

If it's something you already have made for your own purposes is there any possibility that you could share a schema of sorts for the .dat save files?  I'm hoping to utilize them for World Viewer as well as related tools, but painstaking research into the format of the saves files by others, though commendable is still very limited.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9388 on: February 27, 2014, 02:09:59 pm »

If it's something you already have made for your own purposes is there any possibility that you could share a schema of sorts for the .dat save files?  I'm hoping to utilize them for World Viewer as well as related tools, but painstaking research into the format of the saves files by others, though commendable is still very limited.

Is this the research you mean?  It's helpful to link these things since Toady may not know the state of the research.

nighzmarquls

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9389 on: February 27, 2014, 02:59:13 pm »

I'm pretty sure that's not a deal yet, though I guess it's possible. Someone says the truth or lies when the code says he should be doing the opposite or something due to a bug. Maybe.
Damn, if the dwarves don't become SkyNet I don't know what will.

I think there are honestly better contenders.

Just saying.

Honestly a lie is not all that impressive. Then again I hear they are opening up a Watson SDK, so maybe at some point in the next ten years toady might hook that up.

Pages: 1 ... 624 625 [626] 627 628 ... 748