Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 626 627 [628] 629 630 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3714485 times)

Zarathustra30

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #9405 on: February 27, 2014, 09:35:36 pm »

Now that you can no longer effectively block an absurd number of attacks each step, will danger rooms be effectively useless next release?
How did we pass from inns with merry songs and happy music to temples of doom and medieval torture with so much easiness and eagerness??

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #9406 on: February 27, 2014, 09:44:31 pm »

I'm just wondering if he fixed the "shaft of enlightenment", which is a far bigger boost in exp. I hope he doesn't fix it because that's really entertaining to pull off.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

Irist GuruNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9407 on: February 27, 2014, 10:18:37 pm »

Every one of these make me more anxious for the next release but also reaffirms it's still a ways off.

The wait is going to be well worth it from the sounds of things  :D

PlayingGood

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok's laugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #9408 on: February 27, 2014, 11:13:32 pm »

Mass recruitment sounds awesome.

Like yelling in a town, and all those yummy body shields come running :P
*Create potion of immortality*
*Potion Created! Drink potion*
*Immortality gained!*
*You have lost your soul!*

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #9409 on: February 28, 2014, 12:48:38 am »

"Here me, puny peasants! The time to strike is ni-"
The spinning raw halibut (♀) strikes Jormund Adventurerman in the head, bruising the skull and bruising the brain!
The recruit is knocked unconscious!
"Fresh Halibut! Get your fresh Halibut right here!"
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Little Kingpin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9410 on: February 28, 2014, 01:56:09 am »

Cool, thanks Toady!

Now, when you mention the perceived strength of occupiers vs. your attempts to kill them, does it just take into account the number/equipment/skill level of the remaining soldiers or does it factor in player events such as how many people witness the fights, or your reputation? For example, if your world-famous dragonslayer comes into town and promptly starts killing goblins, will it affect the perceived strength differently than an equally skilled adventurer the town has never heard of?

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9411 on: February 28, 2014, 03:19:12 am »

Quote from: Toady One
Footkerchief had our quote, concerning what we were going for when we started, and the conversation infrastructure now supports many participants.  I haven't added a market-style yell out information option to the player's talking interface yet, but that would be all that is needed.  So far I've just been testing stuff by telling one person and letting them tell the others.  We'll probably have multi-person addresses for the release to facilitate mass order giving and recruitment, as much as anything.
Brilliant, thank you! And Footkerchief, of course. Recruiting death squads bold heroes will hopefully get rather easier.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

jocke the beast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9412 on: February 28, 2014, 06:54:41 am »

Perhaps a stupid question but...

Would it be possible to read the Legend-mode while playing a Fortress-game  (without the workaround everyone uses now: copy region/abbandon fortress/enter Legend-mode/copy back region)? If not, why? (if we disregard the spoiler-effect alá finding vampires etc).

Me: Come, Join me on my adventures!
Crossbowman: *spits at me* Surely any place is better than this, lets be off!

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #9413 on: February 28, 2014, 07:05:55 am »

Perhaps a stupid question but...

Would it be possible to read the Legend-mode while playing a Fortress-game  (without the workaround everyone uses now: copy region/abbandon fortress/enter Legend-mode/copy back region)? If not, why? (if we disregard the spoiler-effect alá finding vampires etc).

Quote from: tyrannus007
Can you make Legends Mode accessible from within Dwarf Mode or Adventure Mode, so you don't have to abandon fort to see it?

It's probably legitimate to have some kind of restricted mode, but being able to see everything would spoil stuff, including outside threats to your fortress, vampires and whatever else.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9414 on: February 28, 2014, 09:11:52 am »

Quote from: Sizik
Can Dwarves dig while climbing?
I don't think they'd know to do it, since the path component number of those areas is not set, and they don't do the expensive climb-pathing for jobs.

Hm, what if the only way to get to a job site is by climbing (say, getting to the dining hall, unless thats not classed as a job)? will they path then?

To clarify, what I'm asking is, for example, if a dwarf wants to eat and the only way to get to the dininhg hall is to climb, will said dwarf climb?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 10:44:22 am by smjjames »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9415 on: February 28, 2014, 10:20:59 am »

I don't think they'd know to do it, since the path component number of those areas is not set, and they don't do the expensive climb-pathing for jobs.

Hm, what if the only way to get to a job site is by climbing (say, getting to the dining hall, unless thats not classed as a job)? will they path then?

This seems pretty clear: "they don't do the expensive climb-pathing for jobs".

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9416 on: February 28, 2014, 10:27:01 am »

This seems pretty clear: "they don't do the expensive climb-pathing for jobs".

Yes, but will they en-route to a job? Or rather I'm asking is it possible to force them to.

Edited my question for clarification on what I'm trying to ask, thought it might have been clear what I was trying to say, plus I wasn't sure if the eat 'job' was considered the same thing as other job tasks.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 10:46:20 am by smjjames »

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9417 on: February 28, 2014, 11:00:09 am »

Quote from: Mephansteras
Will the faction AIs do anything on their own, especially based on player actions? For instance, if the player destroys much of an invading force will the AI then decide that it is safe to stage a rebellion to force them out entirely?

We should have (partial) AI insurrections, yeah.  I'm pretty much sitting on top of that with the day's work, though the end of the month is always strange and shot-through with non-programming obligations.  Should have something soon, anyway.  Since the civilian perception of the weakness of their rulers is based on defiance against the entity forces, player action or at least presence is at the start of it all (since nobody else among the civilians acts on their own when they aren't in your loaded area, in the absence of an ongoing insurrection).  Once the perceived strength numbers are low enough, things will ignite and play out without the necessity of your future contributions, though lack of said contributions might doom them to failure at times, especially if their perception of strength does not line up with reality (it will come to realign as they fail).
Thanks for the answers, and for all of your work on the game.

Do factions exist in any meaningful way in Fortress play?

I can imagine a handful of immigrants coming to the Fortress from the Mountainhome who happen to be disaffected with the ruler (they'd be more willing to pull up stakes and leave).  Either off-screen world evolution, or even an ambush on the Dwarven caravan, could weaken the ruler in the eyes of that faction... perhaps enough to spark an insurrection.  The Fortress, being aligned with the ruler, would be put in the unenviable position of quelling such a rebellion.  Unless the ranking noble is of the rebelling faction, in which case everyone else would rebel against the Fortress.

I can see this adding a lot of additional Fun for those who intentionally pick weakened home civilizations.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9418 on: February 28, 2014, 11:05:19 am »

Will creatures be able to ride a creature that can climb? And would they keep use of both hands in that situation?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9419 on: February 28, 2014, 11:12:38 am »

Will creatures be able to ride a creature that can climb? And would they keep use of both hands in that situation?

That is... a VERY interesting question actually. However, Toady One said that being grounded (or prone) makes you not able to climb and isn't the mount considered grounded/prone? or maybe it's the rider? I don't remember exactly.

Although, can someone correct me here whether Toady One is using grounded in the same way as being prone?
Pages: 1 ... 626 627 [628] 629 630 ... 748