Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 627 628 [629] 630 631 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3714607 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #9420 on: February 28, 2014, 12:41:19 pm »

I don't think the mount would be considered prone, because that would mean that any ridden horse would be crawling on its belly instead of walking/running. Which would be silly.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9421 on: February 28, 2014, 01:34:59 pm »

Cue goblins falling off of their voracious cave crawler mounts when they decide "across the cavern's ceiling" is the best route into the fortress.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #9422 on: February 28, 2014, 02:03:23 pm »

Cue goblins falling off of their voracious cave crawler mounts when they decide "across the cavern's ceiling" is the best route into the fortress.

Now that would be funnier than merely bringing them to a watery death! It's raining gobbos! Merry Goblinmas, everyone, and a Bloody New Year!
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9423 on: February 28, 2014, 02:12:20 pm »

will we be able to harvest dwarf tears?
May I sig this?

Also,Will we be able to incite emotions with interactions in the next version? Like making some elves go beserk and attack something for you?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9424 on: February 28, 2014, 02:13:05 pm »

will we be able to harvest dwarf tears?
May I sig this?

Also,Will we be able to incite emotions with interactions in the next version? Like making some elves go beserk and attack something for you?

Hasn't gone in yet.

Rapozk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9425 on: February 28, 2014, 02:43:00 pm »

Quote from: Manveru Taurënér
If one were to be at war with the elves, killed a siege and left the bodies to rot and then had a later siege contain family members of the fallen... Would they react upon seeing the bodies? If not, what more is required to have this happen?
Quote from: smjjames
Toady One, can we have confirmation that siegers, aside from generals, will now come from the worldgen population rather than generated in the new version? There seems to be some confusion about whether or not that actually happens in the next version.

Will kobold thieves now come from worldgen rather than being randomly generated as I think they are?

Yeah, assuming you can get a relation to come, it'll happen.  You get historical figures quite often with armies now since it tries to snatch up those people preferentially.  You'll get a horror reaction out of them from other bodies.  Body dumps at tactically sound times and so on can all come into play.

Hoping to not have any generated units, yeah, though we still have to consider thieves and necromancers since they aren't currently running around attacking towns and so on.  I'm not sure what'll happen there yet.

So, piling up bodies on hatches, and releasing them simultaneously as your soldiers are charging is now a viable tactic. And they will also get hurt from the falling bodies, I guess. Very good...

Now that we got this, let us launch corpses in our catapults... less effective than firing rocks, if fired upon a colossus or similar. Much more effective against relatives of the dead...

I guess that wielding a human skull can now go as an acceptable alternative to a shield, although using the word "acceptable" may be slightly debatable. The fear factor produced from bashing the enemy skull with another skull shall give you an advantage.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 02:50:36 pm by Rapozk »

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #9426 on: February 28, 2014, 03:46:39 pm »

Would the killer of someone be disturbed by the corpse of his victim? For example, someone gives you a quest to kill his brother and then you recruit the quest giver and have him kill his own brother. Would he break down and start crying over what he has done?

What if the discovered body was a night creature? Would that make it more or less disturbing?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 03:49:11 pm by Parisbre56 »

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #9427 on: February 28, 2014, 03:57:38 pm »

Thanks for the reply, Toadster.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.

GrizzleBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9428 on: February 28, 2014, 04:56:49 pm »

Now that we got this, let us launch corpses in our catapults... less effective than firing rocks, if fired upon a colossus or similar. Much more effective against relatives of the dead...

wasnt this a genuine tactic in medieval warfare, to catapult rotting corpses at the enemy? Im sure I read that somewhere.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9429 on: February 28, 2014, 05:35:04 pm »

Famously, the Mongols used it to spread the Black Plague. Also: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_RgNLI1rYY

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #9430 on: February 28, 2014, 05:59:14 pm »

Yes, it was also used quite extensively to lob heads over the walls of Minas Tirith. Perhaps you saw the documentary about the event?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9431 on: February 28, 2014, 06:33:41 pm »

The Romans were known to do the whole corpse-of-your-friends thing, as well as throwing rotting cow carcasses in with the hope of spreading disease.

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9432 on: March 01, 2014, 05:24:44 am »

The Romans were known to do the whole corpse-of-your-friends thing, as well as throwing rotting cow carcasses in with the hope of spreading disease.

Oh, how I can see that early form of biological warfare coming to DF's sieges some time.

Yeah. I think catapulting corpses and such is viable in the future, though maybe not this release. (But minecarts filled with corpses are good, so that'll have to do instead.)
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #9433 on: March 01, 2014, 05:52:17 am »

There are better things than corpses to catapult in DF. Corpses soaked in Forgotten Beast extract, for one.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #9434 on: March 01, 2014, 02:01:00 pm »

Strategic body dumps...

Darn it, now I want to build the giant skull-avalanche machine from the LOtR movie.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?
Pages: 1 ... 627 628 [629] 630 631 ... 748