Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 645 646 [647] 648 649 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3733755 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #9690 on: March 20, 2014, 01:33:36 pm »

I must ask - I haven't been able to follow the development very well so what is in the next release? Is it stuff that's for adventure mode only? My favorite mode is Dwarf mode so I'm on the fence whenever I should be really excited yet.

Here's a fan-compiled changelog.  Features marked with an asterisk (*) pertain to Fortress Mode.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9691 on: March 20, 2014, 01:57:25 pm »

The main feature is that the world will be completely dynamic during play that goes hand to hand with the retirement and retirement of fortress that allow you to appreciate this up close with an adventurer.

So while you play a fortress things will change in the whole world. You could leave your fortress to become an adventurer, trail all the world and if survive go to retire in the very same fortress you started (if survived) and retake the fortress mode there. Or at least that's the plan.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #9692 on: March 20, 2014, 02:14:07 pm »

I wonder if how an animal smells/how smelly it is is governed by raws now.
How else would it be governed? I guess zombie smell could be hardcoded, but otherwise...

Sense of smell will be governed by raws for sure, but for smelliness, I kinda doubt it. It sounds like there are just two categories: rotten (i.e. has the rotting tissue flag) and normal (everything else).
Yeah, my post was mainly aimed at the sense of smell thing, since we only know about zombies being particularly smelly.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9693 on: March 20, 2014, 03:15:19 pm »

The main feature is that the world will be completely dynamic during play that goes hand to hand with the retirement and retirement of fortress that allow you to appreciate this up close with an adventurer.

So while you play a fortress things will change in the whole world. You could leave your fortress to become an adventurer, trail all the world and if survive go to retire in the very same fortress you started (if survived) and retake the fortress mode there. Or at least that's the plan.

The world won't be completely dynamic - many things that happen in world gen will still not happen after it. Basicly we will have born/death cycles. Night creatures won't harass villagers, people won't defile temples and get cursed, adventurers won't hunt dangerous creatures, etc.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9694 on: March 20, 2014, 03:53:58 pm »

Micro stuff may not be yet, however the macro will be, including (if I'm not wrong) real armies besieging your fort, heirs taking thrones and wars as well, things most important to the fortress player, meanwhile an adventurer getting cursed on the other side of the world wont matter that much (for the time being).
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9695 on: March 20, 2014, 04:30:58 pm »

Micro stuff may not be yet, however the macro will be, including (if I'm not wrong) real armies besieging your fort, heirs taking thrones and wars as well, things most important to the fortress player, meanwhile an adventurer getting cursed on the other side of the world wont matter that much (for the time being).

There are sucession stuff, people traveling between vilages and towns to marry and assume positions, new settlements being founded. I think settlements can be conquered, but I don't think new wars will be declared after world gen.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #9696 on: March 20, 2014, 04:43:45 pm »

There are sucession stuff, people traveling between vilages and towns to marry and assume positions, new settlements being founded. I think settlements can be conquered, but I don't think new wars will be declared after world gen.
There's been no real changes to fort mode sieges. The last change, and I cant remember if it was during this dev cycle, or the last, is that Seigers were pulled from actual population counts.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9697 on: March 21, 2014, 07:19:45 am »

That's what I meant by "real armies". Now they must come from somewhere instead of just spawn.

I don't think new wars will be declared after world gen.
I'm pretty sure, but you could be right.

Oh Great Toady! Maker of everything that's good to play, Lord of the Bits and Tamer of the Wildest Felines, could you in your infinite wisdom about the universe you have created for us, tell us if in the next release of your greatest work of all, new wars will be declared after world generation stops?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 07:22:55 am by LordBaal »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9698 on: March 21, 2014, 09:06:41 am »

Oh Great Toady! Maker of everything that's good to play, Lord of the Bits and Tamer of the Wildest Felines, could you in your infinite wisdom about the universe you have created for us, tell us if in the next release of your greatest work of all, new wars will be declared after world generation stops?

This is embarrassing.

Jiharo

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9699 on: March 21, 2014, 09:58:19 am »

On topic of sort-of-wars, how do goblin leaders decide when and whom to raid?

I mean, do their thought processes go as "Our relationship with this village is terrible, let's raid it if we can." or "It's been a long time without a raid and too many goblins hang out around the tower. Let's pick some target."?
All your goblin bone bolts, suddenly rising up in vengeance...
I wonder ... is it smart amunition or dumb amunition?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9700 on: March 21, 2014, 10:48:48 am »

On topic of sort-of-wars, how do goblin leaders decide when and whom to raid?

I mean, do their thought processes go as "Our relationship with this village is terrible, let's raid it if we can." or "It's been a long time without a raid and too many goblins hang out around the tower. Let's pick some target."?

Quote from: Nasikabatrachus
The presence of moving armies on the world map during play also raises tactical and strategic concerns about the placement of forts. How do hostile civs target each other's sites for attack? Could an "outpost" fort placed between a metropolitan fort and a necromancer tower or dark fortress divert attacks away from the larger fort? Will attack frequency and strength be reflected by proximity? (apart from the 20-tile necromancer tower "attack radius")

There's nothing interesting about the targeting at this point, and since human sites are the targets, your fort placement doesn't enter into it.  I haven't tried to do anything tactical or put much thought into the targeting because there are no army fights and no supplies/economics.  We're just starting with some stuff to get the ball rolling and it'll eventually make more sense.

Jiharo

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9701 on: March 21, 2014, 10:52:17 am »

Thanks!
All your goblin bone bolts, suddenly rising up in vengeance...
I wonder ... is it smart amunition or dumb amunition?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9702 on: March 21, 2014, 11:01:55 am »

This is embarrassing.

He says it in a silly and slightly embarrassing way, yes, but he does have a good question: Will new wars be declared after the initial worldgen stops.

catenate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9703 on: March 21, 2014, 12:10:27 pm »

This is embarrassing.

This is amusing, and tame.  Have you never consulted the Internet Oracle?  LordBaal is unlikely to be ZOTted, and Toady is unlikely to demand that LordBaal personally lead the charge against the goblins' new scratchy and hissy cat-a-pult.  Other than that, the quest for answers about the mysteries of dwarven lives does have similarities. ;)

Couverture: A chocolate-covered mod brings you a dark chocolate figurine of the deity of agriculture looking offended.

aban avuzsazirmafol tunur … kib saziradilîton kezkďg ugoshódkelid shatagistrath … kirondatanavuz ustosteshkad angngotololum―Bomonolthîkut fragments

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9704 on: March 21, 2014, 04:01:19 pm »

Bah Footkerchief! Your lack of faith and respect on the Toady shall not pass unattended for long, for his rage and vengefulness are bound by no limits beyond those of the 32 bits! Beware!
Pages: 1 ... 645 646 [647] 648 649 ... 748