Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 657 658 [659] 660 661 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3729772 times)

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #9870 on: April 01, 2014, 03:54:53 am »

Thanks for the wall of text, as always!

With all these real-world plants going in, will they have more realistic growth times (plant in spring, harvest late summer/fall, etc.)? Or are you sticking to the 'one crop every season' plan for now?
He just added new content, if he changed (or planned on changing) how farming worked  in Fort Mode, he probably would have said something.

There's a way to set up army formations and move the units all together, keeping that formation? like in some rts games. If not, i suggest it! also for enemy armies

Some times ago someone told me which the game will become a 4x like game (that's why i thought about army formations and large battles).. is this still true? if yes, in which game mode? Fortress or legend?
'
First! Welcome to the Forum!

Second, if you want your questions to be viewed by Toadyone, they needed to be denoted in green.

Third! Its planned but no time line. It was going to go in during the 2010 Dwarf Release I wanna say... Maybe not for Siegers but defiantly for Fort Armies.

Also, Dwarf Fortress is the kind of game, and due to its age, where its either planned, or been suggested at one point. Though hardly ever suggested once.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #9871 on: April 01, 2014, 03:57:26 am »

Quote from: Deboche
Will creatures be able to ride a creature that can climb? And would they keep use of both hands in that situation?

Yeah.  Jumping mounts, maybe, too...  though I'm not really sure what happens code-wise currently when a mount becomes a projectile (which is how jumping works).  The rider may detach, which'll be funny until it is fixed.

Does this mean that an adventurer also becomes a projectile when jumping? Is it possible to jump at an enemy and damage them and would you take damage from the impact? Is it possible to lodge yourself or your mount in bits of enemies, and if so, how do you dislodge yourself? If damage and lodging is possible but unintended, can you leave it in as a "feature" for at least a few versions?

(I only ask because corpse-shurikens and fluffy-wambler-throwing are time-honored tactics for many adventurers. But if you could throw yourself or your mount by jumping, the results may be rather amusing (and lethal) in the combat logs. I'm assuming human adventurers are considered blunt weapons with a large impact area.)
That is the greatest idea. I'm definitely making an adventurer who kills his foes by jumping at them.

There's a way to set up army formations and move the units all together, keeping that formation? like in some rts games. If not, i suggest it! also for enemy armies

Some times ago someone told me which the game will become a 4x like game (that's why i thought about army formations and large battles).. is this still true? if yes, in which game mode? Fortress or legend?
I think I recall something like that being said, but that's not in now almost definitely not happening in DF2014.

Edit: MrWiggles beat me to it.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #9872 on: April 01, 2014, 04:18:22 am »

It happen to be one of the rare questions I asked myself.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=30026.0  This is the dev goals for the 2010 release, and in the squad sub section they're crossed out.

I found the link to my question regarding them being crossed out, but its super funky page...

So here it is.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=60554.235;wap2

Just search for my user name, and you'll find it.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 04:29:48 am by MrWiggles »
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Spitzkrug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9873 on: April 01, 2014, 05:56:23 am »

Thanks for the wall of text, as always!

With all these real-world plants going in, will they have more realistic growth times (plant in spring, harvest late summer/fall, etc.)? Or are you sticking to the 'one crop every season' plan for now?
He just added new content, if he changed (or planned on changing) how farming worked  in Fort Mode, he probably would have said something.

'
First! Welcome to the Forum!

Second, if you want your questions to be viewed by Toadyone, they needed to be denoted in green.

Third! Its planned but no time line. It was going to go in during the 2010 Dwarf Release I wanna say... Maybe not for Siegers but defiantly for Fort Armies.

Also, Dwarf Fortress is the kind of game, and due to its age, where its either planned, or been suggested at one point. Though hardly ever suggested once.
Thanks for the reply! I'll use green color in future (can i ask more than one question at separate times?).. anyway i meant adventurers mode, not legend. I also haven't understood a thing (i'm not english skilled :P): are you talking about only of army formations? While the "4x" evolution of the game? Even here there's nothing planned?

chevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9874 on: April 01, 2014, 06:04:47 am »

If I abandon my fort then you mentioned that my military dwarves may become bandits if the leader is a jerk. How does the game decide who will become the leader? Is it the squad leader or does the leader skill or personality matter in the selection process?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9875 on: April 01, 2014, 09:05:11 am »

Are we going to see material-based mandates go back in anytime soon, or are you going to be reworking that system?

Material-based mandates may get reinstated when this is done:
Workshop Material Use and Specific Object Construction
    Ability to specify material used in jobs
    Ability to order the construction of a specific item or decoration of item in complete detail

However, mandates are still a placeholder feature in many ways -- they don't currently reflect the economic situation and the official's personality/mood as much as they should.  So it's all subject to change.

I also haven't understood a thing (i'm not english skilled :P): are you talking about only of army formations? While the "4x" evolution of the game? Even here there's nothing planned?

To me, 4X implies certain fixed goals and win conditions.  DF won't have those.  It does aim to support many aspects of 4X gameplay, if that's the kind of fortress the player wants to have.

It's unclear whether the game will ever have tech trees:
It's possible to get sort of tech-treey with it, but I haven't done anything like that, and it's not set up to point to certain positions or to have positions confer any abilities on their own.  The larger questions surrounding knowledge and technology have not been resolved.

You might be interested in the dev page to see what's planned.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 09:07:50 am by Footkerchief »

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9876 on: April 01, 2014, 09:24:04 am »

Cool, thanks for the answers, Toady.  I hope some of the original plants remain in some form within the game... being sentimental but they are just as important as the names of dwarves IMO.  I can't imagine a world without purple plump helmets.

I second this sentiment. Don't forget that there is a bit of cultural heritage within the game that will always add to the fun. Like wearing mismatched shoes!
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

Kriby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9877 on: April 01, 2014, 09:44:28 am »

Thanks for the reply Toady! :)

Villagers are gonna be such wrecks when the necromancer adventurers roll in.

Yes - Your brother is dead.
Yes - His body has been twisted and desecrated into a shambling monster.
Yes - That twisted corpse of your brother is about to mindlessly rip you apart.

>:D

Paaaad

• Bay Watcher
  • Mainly a lurker unfortunetley.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9878 on: April 01, 2014, 10:09:25 am »

Will wooden blocks finally get stored properly? What about large gems?
Unity! Duty! Destiny!

Does the walker chose the path, or the path the walker?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9879 on: April 01, 2014, 10:34:38 am »

Maybe that'll get touched on during the bugfixing phase? Gemstone artifacts other than crafts would also apply.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9880 on: April 01, 2014, 10:45:06 am »

I really liked the fact that any creature with [can_speak] will have something to say now.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #9881 on: April 01, 2014, 11:00:35 am »

Apologies. for the elsewhere amply discussed suggestion.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 03:32:34 am by Areyar »
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9882 on: April 01, 2014, 11:02:45 am »

Wooden blocks were supposedly fixed in 0.31.22.  If you have a save that reproduces the problem in 0.34.11, contact me (or another manager) to get the report reopened.

The report for gems is here.  In general, it's safe to assume that bugs haven't been fixed unless Toady mentioned them.

On pathing:
(a bit suggestion-y, but it is also a question about feasability)

Would player-defining   (limited number of waypoints) paths between say two specified burrows/zones/workshops/jobs help in the climbing/jumping pathfinding problem?
I was thinking of dwarves learning these routes from being guided by a manager, then (perhaps even optimising the defined route in a limited way and) sharing/updating the new route by way of gossipping about it and/or sharing it with the manager or other dwarves.
In essense creating a small library of 'shortcuts' to cut short the pathfinding algorithm.

As with many suggestions, this already has a thread.  There are also several threads on path caching:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=24790.0
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=74846.0
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65905.0

Please ensure that any feasibility discussion goes in an existing Suggestions thread, and doesn't derail this one.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 12:03:01 pm by Footkerchief »

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9883 on: April 01, 2014, 02:11:09 pm »

We'll never know what golden salve does, EnigmaticHat. We'll never know.
It's the dwarven equivalent of the philosopher's stone.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 02:36:31 pm by Melting Sky »

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9884 on: April 01, 2014, 02:32:08 pm »

Hill dwarves sound like they are basically one layer of abstraction above fortress mode dwarves. The way Toady One describes how they will come into play suggests that perhaps war will also be handled at this higher level abstraction? Basically what I am asking is will attacks on enemy sites happen in a fortress mode style setting where individual creatures duke it out and interact with the terrain in a very detailed manner or will an attack be more abstracted, happening "behind the scenes" where the forces that fight each other basically compare their strengths and produce the battles results using more generalized rules?

My second question concerns immigration. When it comes to immigration, is the selection of dwarves that arrive determined randomly aside for the fact that the number of immigrants is set by how much wealth your fort has produced over the last year or are other things taken into accounts such as size and proximity of parent civilization?

Are there any future plans to incorporate into immigration the work that is currently being done on group entities and their various reputations and inclinations to make it more dynamic? Will personal attributes like a dwarf's social standing, personality and conditions in his current home etc. ever play a roll in determining if he decides to emigrate to the frontier? For instance will adventurous, outgoing dwarves be more likely to immigrate than cautious, nervous ones. Will dwarves who live in a poverty ridden, beleaguered city, beset with constant invasions from a nearby necromancer tower be more likely to leave and immigrate to our fortresses than those who are living it up in our gold clad capital city etc.? Or conversely, if our fortress is a war ridden, lawless hell hole would it tend to attract violent criminals, military dwarves and similarly motivated individuals rather than cautious, peaceful and urban dwarves?

I've done a lot of reading on the subject of hill dwarves but haven't seen this discussed. If this question has already been answered I apologize.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 04:12:57 pm by Melting Sky »
Pages: 1 ... 657 658 [659] 660 661 ... 748