Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 658 659 [660] 661 662 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3710172 times)

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #9885 on: April 01, 2014, 03:48:28 pm »

They will most likely be handled the second way, since the site(s) would be "unloaded" in fortress mod. In adventure mode I don't know but it seems possible for you to run into the middle of a war if you are really (un)lucky, in which case I guess you could see the individual entities duking it out in specific ways, else the game will just create it based on some data "just" (or at least sort of) like it does now during world gen.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 03:54:45 pm by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9886 on: April 01, 2014, 05:53:26 pm »

I also haven't understood a thing (i'm not english skilled :P): are you talking about only of army formations? While the "4x" evolution of the game? Even here there's nothing planned?

Probably Toady should make that an init file option while it is broken......

No sign of a monthly dev report yet either.

I really liked the fact that any creature with [can_speak] will have something to say now.

It would be great if they would write diaries or something.

This is a horse leather diary for the year 1051 by [NAME], a tigerman.

1st Granite 1051: Got up, found dwarves building a fortress in this neighbourhood. Getting out of here before things get worse.

2nd Granite 1051: Finally reached the forest. It is quite calm, though there are trumpeting noises coming from nearby. I wonder what is making them?

The diary is covered in tigerman blood.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Paaaad

• Bay Watcher
  • Mainly a lurker unfortunetley.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9887 on: April 01, 2014, 08:34:51 pm »

Will wooden blocks finally get stored properly? What about large gems?

Wooden blocks were supposedly fixed in 0.31.22.  If you have a save that reproduces the problem in 0.34.11, contact me (or another manager) to get the report reopened.

*Vows to check my .31.25 game for the issue, feeling slightly embarrassed.*
Unity! Duty! Destiny!

Does the walker chose the path, or the path the walker?

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #9888 on: April 01, 2014, 09:58:09 pm »

Thanks for the reply! I'll use green color in future (can i ask more than one question at separate times?).. anyway i meant adventurers mode, not legend. I also haven't understood a thing (i'm not english skilled :P): are you talking about only of army formations? While the "4x" evolution of the game? Even here there's nothing planned?

Their wouldnt ever really be a 4X kinda game play found in Dwarf Fortress. At least not as an explicit goal. You might be able to play DF in sometime in the distant future when, whats been loftily called "Kingdom Mode", where you manage a kingdom. Nothing been terribly said about this mode, other then ToadyOne and ThreeToes thinks it cool and natural extension to manage a kingdom.

And ToadyOne has talked about arbitrarily stopped WorldGen, take over any Historical Figures and taking over any responsibility they may have.

So, in this distant, maybe post v1.0 future, you might be able to get a a really shitty 4X feel if you start playing from like the first 10 years into WorldGen.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 07:04:15 pm by MrWiggles »
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9889 on: April 02, 2014, 04:05:11 am »

Then Dwarf Fortress would eventually become the first RPG/Management/Sim like/4X/Hack'n slash game.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #9890 on: April 02, 2014, 05:20:37 am »

Then Dwarf Fortress would eventually become the first RPG/Management/Sim like/4X/Hack'n slash game.
RPG/Adventure/RTS...

Now all we need to do is shove FPS in there somewhere and we're good.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9891 on: April 02, 2014, 05:23:42 am »

RPG/Adventure/RTS...

Wasn't the original Slaves to Armok first person?

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #9892 on: April 02, 2014, 05:39:11 am »

I would need to dig it up from the depths of my hard drive to make sure, but I'm pretty sure it's in a weird not-quite-top-down-ish something.
It's not first person, because you can see more than just your hands, but it's also not traditional 3rd person, because the camera isn't behind your head. I've seen it in other games occasionally. It's got a name, but I can't think of what that name is.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9893 on: April 02, 2014, 08:40:14 am »

If it's not looking through the eyes of the character, it's third-person.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Zavvnao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9894 on: April 02, 2014, 09:21:31 am »

and everything is already an fps due to the lowest common denominator controlling the market and controlling big companies. Dwarf Fortress has no need to follow that trend.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9895 on: April 02, 2014, 09:25:14 am »

It was a joke about DF being all kind of games at the same time... FPS aren't so bad, some are quite awesome. I don't play them much online but I like the campaigns and such. I'm mainly a strategy games guy.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9896 on: April 02, 2014, 09:43:04 am »

RPG/Adventure/RTS...

Wasn't the original Slaves to Armok first person?
It was first and third, depending on how you wanted to play. The third person camera had a weird angle.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9897 on: April 02, 2014, 10:01:48 am »

I'd like a lot a 3D-Dwarf Fortress, seen from the eyes of UristMcFPS.
The trees in 3D with ASCII...^^

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #9898 on: April 02, 2014, 11:12:57 am »

Hill dwarves sound great.

Quote from: J.R.R. Toadykien
In a hole in the ground, there lived a dwarf. A nasty hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell; dry, and sandy, with nothing to sit down on...
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9899 on: April 02, 2014, 11:26:54 am »

In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand
Pages: 1 ... 658 659 [660] 661 662 ... 748