Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 659 660 [661] 662 663 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3715021 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #9900 on: April 02, 2014, 11:58:17 am »

In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
:D
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9901 on: April 02, 2014, 12:24:25 pm »

In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.

Sigged.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

Zavvnao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9902 on: April 02, 2014, 02:33:15 pm »

And Baal, I know that, don't worry.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #9903 on: April 02, 2014, 03:19:49 pm »

Here is the followup on raws:

Critters:

[SMELL_TRIGGER:50] how good is your nose?  low is better.  minimum 1, default is 50, humans set to 90 because they suck
[ODOR_LEVEL:50] how stinky are you?  zero = odorless, default is 50, smell_trigger greaterless than or equal to odor_level detects w/ wind
[ODOR_STRING:wet dog hair] <-- optional, displays race name (not caste name) if you don't provide a string
[LOW_LIGHT_VISION:100] bonus percentage, cannot penalize yet, default is zero, just throw in 10000 to make it perfect

Garden plants (the file names probably aren't entirely accurate with respect to what is in them):

Garden
Crops

There's still some messiness with exactly how seeds are going to work -- the new brew-from-fruit job takes any growth and gives back drink and seeds, using the mats you provide in the normal reaction way, but other actions like eating aren't reactions, so they have to go with the growth flag GROWTH_HAS_SEEDS.  There are also some discomforts w/ whole plants vs. their growths that aren't entirely resolved.  This is what I'm working with, anyway.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 03:32:07 pm by Toady One »
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9904 on: April 02, 2014, 03:24:26 pm »

Oh God, Oh God, Oh God, Oh God, Oh God, Oh God, Oh God, Oh God, Oh God, Oh God, Oh God, Oh God.... please excuse me while I piss like an excited dog.

Ok, so it's a simple enough system to be just brilliant. So, we'll get an announcement whenever we smell something funny and/or new? And it's going to be labeled with whatever thing is emanating the odor like "you smell a zombie" or do we get more vague hints like "you smell rotten meat" which could be whatever between just bad food up to a zombie titan.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 03:27:22 pm by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #9905 on: April 02, 2014, 03:25:34 pm »

He he he, it's not that exciting.  The flower blooming times are all the same.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9906 on: April 02, 2014, 03:28:34 pm »

Any thought toward new materials from the plants, like being able to make linen from flax, or burlap from jute?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Mopsy

• Bay Watcher
  • loveless power is abusive powerless love is anemic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9907 on: April 02, 2014, 03:30:27 pm »

[SMELL_TRIGGER:50] how good is your nose?  low is better.  minimum 1, default is 50, humans set to 90 because they suck
[ODOR_LEVEL:50] how stinky are you?  zero = odorless, default is 50, smell_trigger greater or equal to odor_level detects w/ wind

Shouldn't that be "odor_level greater or equal to smell_trigger detects"? If you have a good (low) SMELL_TRIGGER, then you require only a small amount of odor to detect a creature, so if a creature's odor level is greater than your trigger level, then you detect the smelly creature, right?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #9908 on: April 02, 2014, 03:31:38 pm »

Ah, yeah.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9909 on: April 02, 2014, 03:36:41 pm »

Thank you, Toady! You're pure awesome. I'm excited - going to look at the new raws now.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Mopsy

• Bay Watcher
  • loveless power is abusive powerless love is anemic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9910 on: April 02, 2014, 03:38:52 pm »

Ah, yeah.

Mopsy rescues DF 2014 from odor bug perdition.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9911 on: April 02, 2014, 03:39:06 pm »

Is there something about the strength of the odor ? Okay, the smell can be good or bad, but is there a raw for the force of the smell (the distance from where it can be smelt with a normal nose ?)

Anatoli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9912 on: April 02, 2014, 03:41:57 pm »

Here is the followup on raws:

Critters:

[ODOR_LEVEL:50] how stinky are you?  zero = odorless, default is 50, smell_trigger greaterless than or equal to odor_level detects w/ wind
Do members of a race all get the same SMELL_TRIGGER, or is it individualized? Can it be improved? (Since it can in real life.)
Is it going to be affected by genetics?
Is the detection going to be randomized in any way besides the wind?

What affects the ODOR_LEVEL?
(Not sure if I missed that somewhere.)

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9913 on: April 02, 2014, 03:45:13 pm »

Thanks Toady!

I want a release.

The smell system allow for detection of corpses and carrion? I'm asking not with undead in mind, but with normal corpses and miasma.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9914 on: April 02, 2014, 03:46:59 pm »

Ah, yeah.
Mopsy rescues DF 2014 from odor bug perdition.
No doubt a inspiring tale of bravery for the annals of our beloved game.

It's exciting news because well, at this point anything regarding this release is just pumping out the expectations.

I'm asking basically the same. Do we get a clue of what we are smelling or do we get precise info? I think that being an entity tag it's bound to be the latter. It may be obvious but recently I've been kind of slow.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 03:52:12 pm by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!
Pages: 1 ... 659 660 [661] 662 663 ... 748