Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 680 681 [682] 683 684 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3729892 times)

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #10215 on: April 14, 2014, 02:46:01 pm »

Speaking of dyes, When converting from a color token to the nearest display color, does the game use the default RGB values for the comparison, or does it check the ones defined in colors.txt? Basically, can the displayed color of dyed/colored objects change based on the user's color palette?
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10216 on: April 14, 2014, 04:58:30 pm »

Let's see, what do we have to work with...

Animal training: Check
Hugging: Check
Beard, and lots of it: Check

:o

I will henceforth be adventuring as Urist "Grizzly" McAdams.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #10217 on: April 14, 2014, 05:53:51 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Dyeing and dye chemistry is also a hobby of mine, and as we speak I am procrastinating on working on my organic chemistry term paper on the synthesis and properties of 6,6' dibromoindigo (Tyrian Purple), so I feel I have a bit to contribute.
Long winded organic chemistry spoilered:

As for other purples, another commenter mentioned lichen purples used to extend dibromoindigo dyes.  He was referring to orchil, which is a deep reddish magenta dye produced by soaking certain lichens in ammonia (traditionally obtained from stale urine) for several months with frequent incorporation of oxygen. Orchil is a substantive dye, meaning it does not require a metal salt as a mordant, rather it directly bonds to the fiber.  This makes it somewhat selective in fiber, only bonding well to protein based fibers like wool and silk, as well as leather, feathers, and to a lesser extent bone, but due to the strong bond it is very washfast.  Unfortunately, it is not light fast, and is known for fading dramatically with excessive exposure.  It was used to extend Tyrian purple as it is much cheaper, has a similar color, is intense and solid (Tyrian purple had a tendency to be blotchy), and the lightfast Tyrian purple would help disguise the fading of the orchil.

True orchil is made from Rocella tinctoria, but any number of lichens can be used to produce similar dyes, which have been called cudbear, litmus, and a handful of other things.  I have actually made purple dye from at least 3 species, Umbillicaria spp., Evernia prunastri, and a Xanthoparmelia.  I got an intense blood-magenta from Umbillicaria, a not very saturated delicate gem tone violet from Evernia, which has since faded to nearly grey, and a slightly dirty/brownish rose from the Xanthoparmelia.  Here's a photo of a few dye samples, spoilered for size:

(I expect elves to REALLY hate the color purple. Made either from boiling their beloved trees, or from boiling poor innocent little ocean snails. I expect them to really like indigo blue, tannin based browns (from leaves and acorn hulls), and lichen based yellows, because they are atrocity and cruelty free.

So actually, with orchil, you can get good lichen based purples for the elves, as well as various reds and even a pale baby blue from Xanthoria (treat it like an orchil dye, but exposure to UV soon after removal from dye bath changes it from rose pink to pale blue), though they won't be extraordinarily lightfast  Since they only work on protein fibers, you won't be able to dye elven rope reed, but it really seems that they ought to prefer wool or spider silk, nonviolently harvested from beloved animal companions.  However, lichen dyes are usually by no means elf friendly.  Rock lichens tend to provide more intense dyes so are the most used, but are the slowest growing and harvesting usually means scraping the rock clean of lichen.  Overharvesting of dye lichens was typical wherever they were widely used, and the decline in abundance of dye species with overharvesting was noted even in ancient times (I'll have to look for the citation to that, but I know I read it somewhere).  I actually had an old hippie lady who was a mushroom dye enthusiast give me a very angry lecture on Destroying the Environment and Murdering Innocent Lichens and pretty much shun me from her table after I tried to show her my spiffy purple socks (this was at a mushroom fair, and she was an elf if I've ever met one).

You can produce elf friendly lichen purples, by using tree growing species and gathering them from the ground or from fallen dead branches (I do this because it is a lot less work than scraping rocks, aside from being less destructive).  Unfortunately, this limits the intensity of color that you can achieve.  In my dye samples shown, the first and most intense one was rock growing, while the other, less saturated (and lightfast) were quick growing bark dwellers.  You can get some pretty good yellows from found lichens, though.  Usnea will give various yellows potentially ranging from clear golden to sherbertey orange when boiled gently in water with optional alum mordant (overheating tends to brown the colors), and Xanthoparmelia gives a nice green-gold with a pleasant sheen and softness when treated the same (as opposed to the rose purple from the ammonia method).

To finally actually get to a more or less relevant topic, here are the colors you can achieve from plants currently in the game, with sources for most colors:

That's all the new plants, I haven't looked through the old plant list, but I know it has some worth mentioning, like an intense yellow from mango leaves and deep browns and blacks from oaks.  I'm sure I missed lots of stuff too.

I've been thinking I should go to the suggestions subforum and start or revive a thread on dyes, if anyone is interested.

Also, since linseed and it's oil has been added, all we need for oil paints is a job to mix powdered pigment with oil (we might want to conveniently ignore any other binders or additives that might be desired in real paint, and maybe ignore the necessary boiling of the linseed oil (or maybe not)), and a job to paint something.  I know there have been lots of suggestion threads about paints, I might go pick one to necro.

Also, the sizes of text throughout my comment got all screwed up, and I can't seem to fix it by just selecting it all and setting it to a size.  Anyone know how to make that work?
I stripped all the font and size tags using regular expressions which makes it more readable. A very interesting post. I've been tempted to make a suggestion thread, but decided I didn't know enough to merit it. I guess the question is how simplified the system should be. For my planned mod I was just going to have it so you mix dyes before applying them instead of applying multiple dyes, and similar for mordants. This was mostly to have it work within the current dye system, but also to make it simpler to use. There is a lot of scope for complexity. With smells being added to the game having the leather and dye district stink would be nice.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 06:59:01 pm by Vattic »
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10218 on: April 14, 2014, 07:42:27 pm »

Quote from: Log of Truth
Toady One Ah, sorry about that, I was... delayed.

Anyone else think of Gandalf?  *hits F5 10 more times*
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10219 on: April 14, 2014, 08:35:00 pm »

My bad about prussian blue synthesis--

should be this, for the original diesbach process.

Prussian blue was manufactured first in Germany by a color maker named
  Diesbach. The process included heating equal amounts of saltpeter (KNO.3)
  and potassium tartrate in a red-hot crucible. Dry powdered cattle blood
  was added and the mixture was heated to an incadescence then washed with
  water and treated with a solution of alum [K.2SO.4; Al.2(So.4).3 x24H.2O]
  and ferrous sulfate. A green precipitate was formed which turned blue with
  the addition of hydrochloric acid.

This was in the early 1700s, btw.

The reagents involved SHOULD be available to dwarves in fairly copious abundance. Potasium tartrate (The diesbach process does not look like it will be adversely impacted by the use of potassium bistartrate instead of real potassium tartrate) is also known as "Wine diamonds" and also as "tartar", and is commonly found in wine casks and bottles.

A process to refine pure tartaric acid from this (tartar) was known as early as 800AD, according to wikipedia.

Similarly, the synthesis of muriatic acid (HCl) and tincture of vitriol (sulfuric acid) were known in the target timeperiod as well. Muriatic acid is derived from heating table salt in sulfuric acid, and bubbling the resulting gas through distilled water.  Other than the non-obviousness of producing a complex blue pigment from the reduced iron and hydrocyanic acids produced by burning bloodmeal via this process, there isn't a technical reason why dwarven alchemists could not produce it.

One caveat of allowing it to be produced by an alchemist, is that it is also the foundation of one of the earliest forms of photography; the cyanotype process. (VERY SLOW exposure. requires very bright light, and absolutely motionless subjects. Produces a "Negative" image.)

The use as a photosensitizer for photographic medium only came about because of already existing work surrounding the emerging field of modern chemistry at that time, however-- so it is unlikely that dwarven alchemists would make the connection between potassium prussiate, light exposure, and the production of iron hexaferrocyanate (prussian blue) on exposure to an iron salt and oxygen necessary for the cyanotype process to occur. (IIRC, the deguerrotype, using mercury vapor development on sensitized glass panes, was known before the cyanotype process was invented.) As such, that little tidbit can probably be safely ignored. :D

It would *FINALLY* give a practical use for all those barrels of blood those stupid human merchants keep shipping.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10220 on: April 14, 2014, 09:53:27 pm »

Anyone else think of Gandalf?

"A release is never late, nor is it early; it arrives precisely when I mean it to."
       --Definitely not ToadyOne
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

Verdant_Squire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10221 on: April 15, 2014, 10:36:22 am »

Now that town guards have actual, important tasks, will we be unable to go to random forts and recruit all the guards? If so, will we be able to recruit actual warriors in taverns to make up for this?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 11:13:49 am by Verdant_Squire »

Zavvnao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10222 on: April 15, 2014, 11:28:55 am »

That line of thinking is making me think how situations like the Hunger Games or Dangan Ronpa could be set up for some reason.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10223 on: April 15, 2014, 04:22:27 pm »

Now that town guards have actual, important tasks, will we be unable to go to random forts and recruit all the guards? If so, will we be able to recruit actual warriors in taverns to make up for this?

Warriors in fake taverns is in for this release.  I don't know about guards resisting recruitment if they have duties.  In past versions, any leadership position stopped dwarves from joining up.

On the topic of the latest dev-log, is that the last of the 6 items before debugging?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 08:45:25 pm by Rockphed »
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #10224 on: April 15, 2014, 08:47:04 pm »

So, how does dialogue work now? You said that you obliterated the current speech system in favor of something else; you said you didn't like dialogue trees, either. What is the current decision about conversation?
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10225 on: April 15, 2014, 09:20:06 pm »

On the topic of the latest dev-log, is that the last of the 6 items before debugging?

Quote from: 2014-03-19 devlog
In terms of these finalizations I've been doing, there are six left:
  • Doing a test run with a dwarven adventurer from depot to depot through a tunnel,
  • the liaison commenting on the world situation in dwarf mode,
  • that information screen I mentioned in the FotF thread not too long ago,
  • the plant list,
  • some checks with guards/intruder, and
  • some sort of nod to vampires/gods ruling civilizations (since it gets stranger and stranger for them to be there without any comment at all).
Then we'll have a steaming pile of game that needs to be debugged and otherwise made playable.

That's certainly the message I read!
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #10226 on: April 15, 2014, 11:52:32 pm »

"A release is never late, nor is it early; it arrives precisely when I mean it to."
       --Definitely not ToadyOne
Sigged.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #10227 on: April 16, 2014, 11:01:54 am »

So, how does dialogue work now? You said that you obliterated the current speech system in favor of something else; you said you didn't like dialogue trees, either. What is the current decision about conversation?
Toady talked about the workings of the new conversation system in DF Talk, spoilered below. I know there are a few more places where he's talked about the system, though.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10228 on: April 16, 2014, 11:27:24 am »

Toady talked about the workings of the new conversation system in DF Talk, spoilered below. I know there are a few more places where he's talked about the system, though.

He has also talked about it in some FotF Q&As and devlog posts. You'll have to hunt down the relevant FotF replies as they are scattered about. I'm sure footkerchief, our local quote wizard, can find the ones that answer your question.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10229 on: April 16, 2014, 11:28:32 am »

Footkerchief can summon relevant quotes with his/her/xer/their middle-click button.
Pages: 1 ... 680 681 [682] 683 684 ... 748