Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 693 694 [695] 696 697 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3715163 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #10410 on: April 25, 2014, 07:45:35 am »

I was running a hermit fort and my hermit would keep running off a few steps towards the meeting area in between almost every job before the next one kicked in. Even after I removed the zone, she'd head towards her office or her bedroom - it was really getting in the way of productivity. I didn't know that was a bug, though.
That one was not bug (probably, you never can be sure with DF). Maybe your dwarf is very uncertain of his own decisions (some personality facet governs it, I don't remember which one). Toady's bug seems like either completely new issue or code accidentally started to check undecidendess between identical jobs, not only different jobs. Of course, I may be completely off the mark, as obviously I do not have access to DF code...

Yeah, sounds like they just stop doing the job and wander off instead of the one Authority2 is seeing. Also, completely new dwarf brain.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10411 on: April 25, 2014, 08:32:28 am »

So... are we in the bugfixing phase, or is the issues file a different thing?

That to me sounds like the bugfixing phase. (also optimizations and whatnot...)
Now is the time, people!

So, early-mid May release anyone? :D
OH BOY, I AM SO HYPED NOW, I WISH YOU COULD SEE IT!
Dude, I don't mean to sound like a smart ass, but usually the bug fixing phase has taken several weeks at least a month, especially after longer development cycles.
There's better numbers than that available I think. 0.34, 0.31, 0.28, and 0.27 I presume all had bug-fixing phases, that could be used as data points in estimating how long this one will be.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10412 on: April 25, 2014, 08:35:52 am »

Now is the time, people!

Dude, I don't mean to sound like a smart ass, but usually the bug fixing phase has taken several weeks at least a month, especially after longer development cycles.
There's better numbers than that available I think. 0.34, 0.31, 0.28, and 0.27 I presume all had bug-fixing phases, that could be used as data points in estimating how long this one will be.

*hissing* Ready... sssoon...

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10413 on: April 25, 2014, 08:47:46 am »

You can try to calculate it, but given the nature of the programming work you could be way off (shorter or longer than expected). There's no one that can say he'll take a week or 3 months. As mentioned he had fixed quite a few bugs while working and his goal is to make this release at least as playable as current version, that could mean a rather short trip by bugfixing avenue. However the nature and amount of bugs is unknown to us thus we don't have any data to work on a equation.

I stick with my early to mid June date out of a hunch and nothing more. Anyway I can feel the hype rising.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 09:21:25 am by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #10414 on: April 25, 2014, 08:48:58 am »

Why would you want to fell the hype? It's a beautiful thing!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10415 on: April 25, 2014, 09:22:09 am »

No I didn't... that edit on the post was for something completely unrelated...
>.>

<.<
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #10416 on: April 25, 2014, 10:51:12 am »

Is there a typo in the growth prints for the leaves in the new plant files? They all seem to have tile 7 (•) for their picked tile, rather than tile 6 (♠) that you've posted for mango and maple leaves. Or was that a deliberate change?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 10:53:06 am by Knight Otu »
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10417 on: April 25, 2014, 01:06:48 pm »

Now is the time, people!

The longest one ever is 0.31.01, with two months. 0.34.01 was two weeks, which is not at least a month. 0.27.169.32a looks to be about 3 days, so your "at least a month" is the opposite of right.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10418 on: April 25, 2014, 01:34:35 pm »

Now is the time, people!

The longest one ever is 0.31.01, with two months. 0.34.01 was two weeks, which is not at least a month. 0.27.169.32a looks to be about 3 days, so your "at least a month" is the opposite of right.

he actually said "usually" so his statement is accurate

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #10419 on: April 25, 2014, 01:37:15 pm »

Now is the time, people!

A few more data points (0.31.x had a few semi-major releases) - 0.31.13, which introduced town sprawl, seems to have had a bugfix phase of about two weeks. 0.31.17, which introduced night creatures, bandits, and outdoor fortifications, was about 10 days to two weeks, and 0.31.19, which introduced pottery, grazing, starvation, beekeeping, and egg-laying, also seems to have been about 10 days to two weeks.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10420 on: April 25, 2014, 01:57:54 pm »

Now is the time, people!

he actually said "usually" so his statement is accurate

One out of three is not usually. If you include the majorish updates that I'm aware of off the top of my head, that's one out of 7.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #10421 on: April 25, 2014, 02:00:04 pm »

But keep in mind that this release took two years, we have many more bugs. Toady probably will ignore most of them, release the game after a month(seriously, it can take up to a month this time...)  and fix things slowly from there.
In a time before time, I had a name.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #10422 on: April 25, 2014, 02:22:37 pm »

But keep in mind that this release took two years, we have many more bugs. Toady probably will ignore most of them, release the game after a month(seriously, it can take up to a month this time...)  and fix things slowly from there.
Of course it can. I don't think anyone denies that. But the claim was that the bugfixing phase usually takes that long, when it usually doesn't. I do think we should consider that it can last a month or longer this time, but it's not quite a foregone conclusion.
Direforged Original
Castle Otu

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10423 on: April 25, 2014, 02:34:45 pm »

I think people are very bored to spend this much time arguing over such a small thing...it will take as long as it does...I would imagine thats at least a month...and frankly would prefer he fix it + some older nagging bugs...but we shall see

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10424 on: April 25, 2014, 02:43:07 pm »

There's a perfectly reasonable explanation for all this arguing. We are hyped to the T and thus we need something to get busy while waiting for our fix...

While at it, Pi Is Exactly 3.

Discuss....
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 02:44:45 pm by LordBaal »
Pages: 1 ... 693 694 [695] 696 697 ... 748