Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 694 695 [696] 697 698 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3714636 times)

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #10425 on: April 25, 2014, 03:00:56 pm »

It's a shame it had to come to that.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #10426 on: April 25, 2014, 03:02:02 pm »

I have to say this part:
...getting it up to a state where it isn't an utter and fundamental degradation of the currently released version. There are crashes, optimizations that need doing, dwarves that seem to potter off without thinking in between certain jobs, and all manner of other trouble.
was interpreted by me less as "Ooo final step!" then as "Ooo, that sounds bad". For one he is going to want to be damned sure any bugs that would require breaking save-compatibility to fix are squashed.

Which is good for me personally actually. I hope it's delayed to the summer, or at least post-SATs.
There's a perfectly reasonable explanation for all this arguing. We are hyped to the T and thus we need something to get busy while waiting for our fix...

While at it, Pi Is Exactly 3.

Discuss....
3. (3+3+3)/9*1+2=3. Half-life Pi confirmed.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 03:04:07 pm by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10427 on: April 25, 2014, 04:15:23 pm »

I think people are very bored to spend this much time arguing over such a small thing...it will take as long as it does...I would imagine thats at least a month...and frankly would prefer he fix it + some older nagging bugs...but we shall see
Maybe it will keep everyone occupied until the release takes them by surprise.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10428 on: April 25, 2014, 04:53:04 pm »

The last devlog killed all the expectation I had for a release in the next weeks.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10429 on: April 25, 2014, 05:22:33 pm »

The last devlog killed all the expectation I had for a release in the next weeks.

How? Was your expectation of debug time somehow different than the one the devlog put forward?

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #10430 on: April 25, 2014, 05:32:59 pm »

If you ask me, we'll end up with DF2014 by the first week of may, or, if we're really lucky, the end of April.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Mipe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10431 on: April 25, 2014, 05:41:18 pm »

You do realize we're talking issues, right? Crashes, gamebreaking bugs and stuff?

We'll be lucky if it gets done this summer...

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10432 on: April 25, 2014, 05:46:32 pm »

How? Was your expectation of debug time somehow different than the one the devlog put forward?

I was expecting something positive like "Well guys, there only some bugs left. I will do some cleaning and make a release soon. It will be fun, he he he"

Uristsonsonson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10433 on: April 25, 2014, 10:34:44 pm »

And then the release drops and everyone's all excited and tries it out, has some fun, waits until the round of bug fixing and low hanging fruit is done over the next few months, then gets bored and starts hyping themselves up for the next major release 2-3 years away... -.-

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10434 on: April 25, 2014, 10:36:23 pm »

And then the release drops and everyone's all excited and tries it out, has some fun, waits until the round of bug fixing and low hanging fruit is done over the next few months, then gets bored and starts hyping themselves up for the next major release 2-3 years away... -.-

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/older_versions.html

Uristsonsonson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10435 on: April 25, 2014, 10:39:29 pm »

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/older_versions.html

I don't understand. What about it? :S

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10436 on: April 25, 2014, 10:41:16 pm »

Content updates to note are 0.34.08, 0.34.06, 0.31.19, 0.31.17 and 0.31.13. Look at the time those took.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10437 on: April 25, 2014, 11:40:29 pm »

While at it, Pi Is Exactly 3.

It will be when magic gets implemented and wizards can alter universal and mathematical constants.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10438 on: April 26, 2014, 04:27:57 am »

It will be fun, he he he"

Ahahaha!  Nailed it.

reality.auditor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10439 on: April 26, 2014, 04:38:57 am »

Content updates to note are 0.34.08, 0.34.06, 0.31.19, 0.31.17 and 0.31.13. Look at the time those took.
So?
I seen you already tried to "prove" that major releases do not take that long. Reality says otherwise. In fact, I would be not surprised if next major release would beat current record. For certain it will not be short.

It will be when magic gets implemented and wizards can alter universal and mathematical constants.
And then everyone will die horribly (or not horribly, some of these are so fast you will not feel anything) as soon as first magic user uses his powers.
Are weapons like the least lethal thing in DF?
Pages: 1 ... 694 695 [696] 697 698 ... 748