Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 696 697 [698] 699 700 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3714644 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #10455 on: April 28, 2014, 09:05:39 am »

Given how complex and interconnected the historical part is, I don't see such an editor for that being feaseable.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #10456 on: April 28, 2014, 09:13:57 am »

Given how complex and interconnected the historical part is, I don't see such an editor for that being feaseable.
It would definitely be tough. At the very least, it'd need some kind of auto-complete for things you didn't touch.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10457 on: April 28, 2014, 09:15:16 am »

It its complex because of world gen I think. I sense that starting scenarios, no matter how complex you make them, will pale in detail and complexity over procedurally/naturally made by the game, unless you spend a lot of time or somehow a lot of people work on it.

If you think about it, for the basics you don't need "all that much". Things like a world and local map editor seems fairly easy to do (now, to do them fool proof it's another thing). Next would be being able to create civilizations, factions and their respective characteristics and stances against each other (including assigning places/local maps/areas/regions to them) and lastly being able to create nobles, family trees and other special characters would allow you to outline almost any scenario you could think off.

Now, being able to write the history behind all that could be "easy" but bothersome, probably you would need to create whole lines of characters and depict their actions and how they killed/helped/conquered/fathered each other and so on. I mean, it could be just text if you want to, because "getting there" the old way would be simply impossible.

Dunno, I'm just bored and hyped.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 09:18:54 am by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10458 on: April 28, 2014, 10:25:22 am »

It its complex because of world gen I think. I sense that starting scenarios, no matter how complex you make them, will pale in detail and complexity over procedurally/naturally made by the game, unless you spend a lot of time or somehow a lot of people work on it.

If you think about it, for the basics you don't need "all that much". Things like a world and local map editor seems fairly easy to do (now, to do them fool proof it's another thing). Next would be being able to create civilizations, factions and their respective characteristics and stances against each other (including assigning places/local maps/areas/regions to them) and lastly being able to create nobles, family trees and other special characters would allow you to outline almost any scenario you could think off.

Now, being able to write the history behind all that could be "easy" but bothersome, probably you would need to create whole lines of characters and depict their actions and how they killed/helped/conquered/fathered each other and so on. I mean, it could be just text if you want to, because "getting there" the old way would be simply impossible.

Dunno, I'm just bored and hyped.
Yeah, I think doing worldgen by hand is a bit tedious.  But it should be possible to set up the initial stuff and let the world spin.  It might even be possible to put constraints on the worldgen (Human Civ England and Human Civ France at war >=25% of time, >3 Elf Civs in year 100, >2 Elf Civs in year 500, etc.) but that would have dependencies on all the same things as the editor, so it will be a long way off.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #10459 on: April 28, 2014, 10:26:25 am »

In the next release will eggs hatch in adventure mode?  Specifically those dragon eggs people keep finding.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10460 on: April 28, 2014, 10:39:41 am »

I hope so, that's the kind of stuff one expects from an activated world... however it's a very fine question.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10461 on: April 28, 2014, 10:49:54 am »

In the next release will eggs hatch in adventure mode?  Specifically those dragon eggs people keep finding.

If you take some eggs from a dragons nest in adventurer mode and bring it to a fortress, will they still hatch? Assuming your dwarves don't make omlettes out of them between retiring the adventurer and taking control of the fort again.

If so, then baby Dragonlets! :D  People might mod them to grow up faster rather than taking a thousand years to grow to full size if they do this.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10462 on: April 28, 2014, 12:08:37 pm »

If you take some eggs from a dragons nest in adventurer mode and bring it to a fortress, will they still hatch? Assuming your dwarves don't make omlettes out of them between retiring the adventurer and taking control of the fort again.

If so, then baby Dragonlets! :D  People might mod them to grow up faster rather than taking a thousand years to grow to full size if they do this.

Don't you have to mod dragons currently to ever get them to hatch at all outside of world gen? I doubt Toady have strayed into fixing small issues like that since it's not really related to anything in the soon to come release more than general worldiness. Might be something that'd get sorted in the post-release fixing period though.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10463 on: April 28, 2014, 04:05:12 pm »

Don't you have to mod dragons currently to ever get them to hatch at all outside of world gen? I doubt Toady have strayed into fixing small issues like that since it's not really related to anything in the soon to come release more than general worldiness. Might be something that'd get sorted in the post-release fixing period though.

That was before he activated the world though, so we don't really know what will happen with the eggs for sure.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #10464 on: April 28, 2014, 04:38:22 pm »

I just know that every couple months someone finds a dragon egg and comes to the adventure mode forums asking what they can do with it.  Maybe that's dropped off, I haven't been by the adventure mode forums much recently.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #10465 on: April 28, 2014, 04:44:00 pm »

I'd be rather surprised if found eggs hatch in the next version, to be honest. I don't recall any specific mention that Toady looked at eggs, and the new births that are getting scheduled are likely to always be live units for now, and not items. Besides, found eggs would be outside nest boxes, which I think are still the only way to hatch eggs, so those found eggs would need new mechanics to be able to hatch.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10466 on: April 28, 2014, 04:53:17 pm »

That was before he activated the world though, so we don't really know what will happen with the eggs for sure.

Activating the world isn't really a flip of a switch that just makes things work in new ways. Unless he specifically changed eggs and/or dragons there won't be anything new with them, since the issue isn't so much with lack of an activated world as with eggs being very much unfinished overall. They'll obviously be sorted at some point, but I doubt Toady has taken the time to fix that particular tiny detail out of nowhere when he had a hundred vastly bigger prospects to deal with. I'd love to be wrong though of course, but to me expecting that kind of change doesn't make sense.

Fixing eggs certainly has a somewhat higher prio now though. It wouldn't surprise me if it got touched upon when Kobolds get sorted (hopefully in one of the smaller releases following bugfixing, since it should've been in this release to start with).

Ninjaed by Knight Otu it seems ^^

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10467 on: April 28, 2014, 05:35:28 pm »

Now that the release is just in the debugging stage (to make it playable).......

With this release having taken nearly two years so far, do you think future release cycles will be shorter or could we see long intervals of 6 months to 2 years again in the future?
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10468 on: April 28, 2014, 05:53:54 pm »

Now that the release is just in the debugging stage (to make it playable).......

With this release having taken nearly two years so far, do you think future release cycles will be shorter or could we see long intervals of 6 months to 2 years again in the future?

I'd assume it's the same as with every other long release cycle. He doesn't want them to take that long and hopes to do better, but will most likely slip back into massive releases every now and then anyway. Personally I don't really mind, since it's still the same amount of content that gets done over the same time ish. Then again I'm kind of weird xP

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10469 on: April 28, 2014, 06:10:58 pm »

Quote from: Twitter
My previous estimates have been trash.
Pages: 1 ... 696 697 [698] 699 700 ... 748