Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 717 718 [719] 720 721 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3714774 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #10770 on: May 28, 2014, 03:02:35 pm »

To be done with it, I imagine it like this
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sorry if it's really crude, I literally made it in less than a minute with crayons and paint.

This is how I'd try to map DF worlds. A cylinder with circular caps on the ends with multiple regions using the surface area of the cylinder. Simple enough, the height and diameter of the cylinder would depend on the region size generated.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10771 on: May 28, 2014, 07:31:39 pm »

One problem I see with curvature expressing maps, is that currently even a large map is only about the size of New Zealand. It's not actually near the size of the earth or even the moon. The map would need to be much larger, and probably use 64 bit addressing before it would be realistic to make it curve into itself.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10772 on: May 28, 2014, 07:43:43 pm »

Nah, I mean, yeah, but are we really in need of such huge map? Or perhaps can be made in pieces and only completely load one region, like if you are in Europe it only loads that continent. Like currently loads sites. I don't really know...
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Spinning Welshman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10773 on: May 28, 2014, 09:12:53 pm »

Nah, I mean, yeah, but are we really in need of such huge map? Or perhaps can be made in pieces and only completely load one region, like if you are in Europe it only loads that continent. Like currently loads sites. I don't really know...

The issue with that is that while it only "loads" the local area (in the case of fortresses) or the local region (in the case of your idea) the rest is still loaded abstractly for the purposes of history progression. Toady wants the world to progress as you progress, and having regions offloaded would prevent that (I think, someone correct me if I'm wrong)
I also just had a human diplomat enter from the surface, hold a meeting, then exit the map via hell.... I guess he thinks he's pretty hardass.

Bortness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10774 on: May 29, 2014, 02:28:12 pm »

The issue with that is that while it only "loads" the local area (in the case of fortresses) or the local region (in the case of your idea) the rest is still loaded abstractly for the purposes of history progression. Toady wants the world to progress as you progress, and having regions offloaded would prevent that (I think, someone correct me if I'm wrong)

It would only prevent that from happening in real-time, which frankly is probably not desirable anyways due to frame rate concerns.  You got frame rate problems already with one (large) single-site fort?  Imagine the lag if you're processing the ENTIRE WORLD every single frame.

The obvious solution is to do live updates only in the local area (as it is now), and every 20 minutes or so, intentionally hang on a frame for 30 seconds or a minute while the rest of the world updates and "catches up" to your current timebase.

It's kinda complicated, but it's a solution that works in all situations - allows the world to stay current with your actual player maneuvers, and also avoids annihilating the gameplay frame rate.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10775 on: May 29, 2014, 03:28:39 pm »

A whole year of worldgen takes 20 minutes worst case. I don't think updating the world once every 1200 ticks will be too problematic.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #10776 on: May 29, 2014, 07:12:29 pm »

what do you do to make it take 20 minutes 0_o
even on a large world with 1k years of history I would say I barely get up to 1 minute per year
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10777 on: May 29, 2014, 07:20:55 pm »

The progress of off loaded sites is already implemented for the next release. Toady has said it is not a heavy FPS load in either play mode. It does use some of the same machinery as world gen itself, but in some way it is necessarily more detailed.

A larger map would indeed mean a higher FPS load, in part due to having more sites and events in the world, and in part because of less efficient caching. But maybe that increase would not be that high.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10778 on: May 29, 2014, 08:53:20 pm »

what do you do to make it take 20 minutes 0_o

Have the kind of toaster computer I haven't had for years, I imagine.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #10779 on: May 29, 2014, 09:23:07 pm »

On the biggest world with max civs, with nothing but livable land (teensy tiny oceans and smaller mountain ranges) and a ridiculous number of secrets, megabeasts, demons, etc, with cull history turned OFF, and 300 Z levels per layer or some such nonsense, with Masterwork Mod so there's like 300x the number of creatures and stuff, on an old old computer.

That's probably how you make it take 20 minutes a year. Just keep on piling up extra complexities until your computer overheats.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10780 on: May 30, 2014, 04:24:11 pm »

I for one wonder...
How huge is the changelog gonna be?

Because I can't imagine it being something for a quick at-school read...

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #10781 on: May 30, 2014, 06:12:10 pm »

Well i heard it will rival the bible in length and content.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10782 on: May 30, 2014, 06:14:49 pm »

Well, there used to be a very well organized googledoc with most of the coming features, but it has since been deleted.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10783 on: May 30, 2014, 06:33:03 pm »

Well, there used to be a very well organized googledoc with most of the coming features, but it has since been deleted.

Wherever did you get that idea?

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10784 on: May 30, 2014, 06:47:44 pm »

That document is completely blank, on my end at least.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.
Pages: 1 ... 717 718 [719] 720 721 ... 748