Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 745 746 [747] 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3715048 times)

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #11190 on: July 06, 2014, 07:46:51 pm »

Completely and utterly, those without i9 twenty core processors beware.

But no, I don't believe so. I think he stated there wasn't much of a noticeable difference for himself, but chances are once it hits the public we'll probably see some differences on the more lower end computers.

sal880612m

• Bay Watcher
  • [SANITY:OPTIONAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11191 on: July 06, 2014, 08:29:29 pm »

Isn't DF not capable of properly utilizing multiple cores?
"I was chopping off little bits of 'im till he talked, startin' at the toes."
"You probably should have stopped sometime before his eyes."

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11192 on: July 06, 2014, 08:36:43 pm »

Isn't DF not capable of properly utilizing multiple cores?

Correct. DF is a single-threaded program.

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #11193 on: July 06, 2014, 08:44:12 pm »

I think some code relating to display is on another core, but it was contributed far in the past by someone other than Toady, so for all intents and purposes it is single core
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11194 on: July 06, 2014, 09:32:37 pm »

That's correct, graphics are a separate thread. This is why FPS and graphics FPS are two different settings. So you get some marginal benefit from running on a 2 core machine.

mineforce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11195 on: July 07, 2014, 12:15:02 am »

512 mb ram 1.6 ghz and gma booster thingy. Sidewalk curve.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 09:09:07 am by mineforce »
Who's born in the fortress, die in the fortress

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11196 on: July 07, 2014, 07:01:14 am »

So.... "next week" has begun today... :D

Buut I rather you take all the time needed.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11197 on: July 07, 2014, 11:03:42 am »

Goddamn instant gratification generation.

DAE THIS GENERATION SUCKS HOW LE WORLD HAS FALLEN I WAS BORN IN LE WRONG GENERATION LEL

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11198 on: July 07, 2014, 11:08:13 am »

Hehehe that post from reality.auditor made me laugh a lot! I don't really know why. I just keep imagining him all angry shouting at the screen while typing the post... hahahaha!!!

But well, in fact a few pages ago I did pointed the release could be in august? That wouldn't be bothersome for me, I rather Toady bug out most mayor things and then we only work out what we can find. I think that way he would be less overwhelmed by a gazillion people posting the same bugs over and over.

I know they said this week, but I wouldn't mind if they take another week or two for a better test drive.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11199 on: July 07, 2014, 11:28:11 am »

Just one small minority will use the bug tracker. Some will suffer in silence. Many will flood the forums to complain. And the majority will wait until the bugs are ironed out. So, it is better we begin as soon as possible.

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11200 on: July 07, 2014, 11:55:28 am »

So not this minute, but soon? And soon as, today?

Depends on a lot of things, all technical at this point...  like what happens when I turn on the other computers that haven't been turned on for 2 years.  And what this mem leak analyzer thingy tells me.  That sort of stuff.  I'm not sure if it will be ready before you have to go to work all month, unfortunately.  Maybe at exactly the wrong time.

So, it seems the glorious Sequence has started. Reading such a small and cherised info snippet, I wonder what are the odds, exactly? This will be a historic moment for the Bay12 forums, and I want to be prepared.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11201 on: July 07, 2014, 05:18:50 pm »

Is it weird that I'm usualy more excited about testing a new and possibly very buggy version of DF rather then mainstream game releases? :P
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #11202 on: July 07, 2014, 05:26:08 pm »

Is it weird that I'm usualy more excited about testing a new and possibly very buggy version of DF rather then mainstream game releases? :P

I was so happy when I reported the creature cloning bug before anyone else and thus got to have one of those bugs that has a whole list of other bugs attached to it.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11203 on: July 07, 2014, 05:59:19 pm »

I was so happy when I reported the creature cloning bug before anyone else and thus got to have one of those bugs that has a whole list of other bugs attached to it.
I had a little one where irregular-shaped stockpiles wouldn't fill properly, I was quite proud when it got fixed.
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #11204 on: July 07, 2014, 08:07:20 pm »

I'll post a new one of these in a bit when the dust settles, and I'll probably link back to some answers to relevant questions.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!
Pages: 1 ... 745 746 [747] 748