Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12

Author Topic: The good, the bad and the ugly - Feedback thread for 34.xx  (Read 28046 times)

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The good, the bad and the ugly - Feedback thread for 34.01
« Reply #135 on: February 17, 2012, 06:57:50 pm »

+ Vampires
The moment someone was found drained of blood was like when i first startet playing df and someone built an artifact for the first time: fun, mysterious, interesting.

- Zombies
Current scenario undergoing: vile force of darkness arrives parallel to dwarven caravan. caravan kills some goblins and get slaughtered by the rest. dead goblins AND dead dwarves reanimate. now i have to smash them to get rid of them which means i cannot bury them which means i will have lots of ghosts and no way of getting rid of them since slabs don't work on caravan folks :(

Now that I am playing Fortress mode, I shall agree, even disliking vampires in adventure mode. I found two dwarves drained at the same time, and I have no idea yet which dwarf is the vampire.

I am playing in a terrifying area with a rain that causes blisters - small animals die, but dwarves just get annoyed. It is being very dificult to keep things organized and the dwarves are always unhappy. Very fun! Like you, I don't have this sense of awe in fortress mode for some time already.

I didn't like that tantrums are not being reported as crimes - a dwarf had all his teeth broken by a tantruming dwarf and the crime was not reported.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 17, 2012, 07:33:59 pm »

The Ugly: Item placement is, despite all the work that's gone into it, still kind of rocky. I'm talking 6 pages of copper greaves in one pile rocky. And the abandoned houses full of un-owned goods stacked three pages deep.

The density and distribution of shop types is also an issue. I know it's supposed to reflect what industries the city thrives on, but it generally just seems to be overkill and you don't see the differentiation at all. Far, far too many leather, cloth and general goods shops, packed end to end. Meanwhile there is one armor smith in the whole town. Honestly I think there needs to be about half as many shops in towns as there are now, and either they should be put in a district, or they should enforce some kind of spacing between them. I'd personally prefer to see shops scattered around the town. As it is, they tend to dominate whole swathes of the city.

If they're there to fill space, I think that would be done better by housing, even if it's abandoned. As a player you really want the shops to matter, but they don't. They can't compete with one floor worth of loot underground. And of the 4 armor smiths I've visited in 4 separate towns, not a one has had any armor in stock. I've found one bowyer over 4 towns, yet not a single melee weapon merchant.

So yeah. I know Toady really put serious time into it to get it this far, but I think it needs more. It's functional....but quite ugly, and actually works against making the player want to investigate their wares.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 07:36:35 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

nopil3os

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 17, 2012, 07:45:02 pm »

Now that I am playing Fortress mode, I shall agree, even disliking vampires in adventure mode. I found two dwarves drained at the same time, and I have no idea yet which dwarf is the vampire.

objection. i didn't mean fun in the df way. i really liked investigating the vampire. i found (so i thought) one candidate after going through the unit screens. very old one, no friends, no family. i walled him in. he died of thirst. meanwhile, 3 other citizen were killed by the real vampire. later i found him: he was in multiple high positions of multiple settlements before he came to mine and was even elected mayor at my fortress. he also worshipped a deity who cursed him and others. now he's in a special prison (serving a 800-day-sentence for the 4 murders). after that i set up a transit room and called it ellis island, where i check every migrant and in case i found a suspect i dump him in the vampire prison. if he is a vampire, i found another one. if not the current one gets to feed.

edit: i think i misunderstood. ah well someday i'll have to get into adventure mode too...
also: i just found out that recruits are utterly useless against undead :(
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 08:15:56 pm by nopil3os »
I'd be shocked if dwarves didn't eat the demons they killed. After all, if they're willing to eat a poison spewing monstrosity, why not a flying dinosaur thing that hates all life?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 17, 2012, 09:51:21 pm »

Does anyone know why my game crashes when I try to talk to someone? Its persistent across my worlds :I

It's a known bug and it's fixed for the next release (which should be within 24 hours).

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
« Reply #139 on: February 17, 2012, 10:59:33 pm »

Maybe we should petition Toady to procedurally generate all or most animal-men on a per-world basis? It could be a world-gen parameter then, like night-creatures, etc.

That sounds like a great idea not only for animalmen, but species to a lesser degree. I don't feel like we should be seeing every species in every world.

I'd prefer it if we just had specific types of animals, and they got traits based on their biomes, instead of numerous things that are basically the same.  What's that a yak?  No it's a cow from a cold biome so it has longer hair and more fat.  What's that a moose? No it's just a big deer.  Probably language based names for things.  It may be confusing when a vendor yells "I've got some nice fresh Apuiskak liver." But it would make wild life and livestock more varied between worlds. Toady would probably have to add a bestiary of discovered animals in the legends section, just so you know what your picking when play fortress mode.

*sigh* A king of all weasels can dream...

anyway on topic.

Good-Cities in general, merchants talking about their wares (could lead to conversations about rumors and other cool stuff), castle's holds actually being fleshed out (still weird box towers, haven't seen a necromancer tower but I assume they're based off the same thing.  Will be much better in the manor update I'm sure.)  Stones used in jewelery (good for training new jewelers since gems are super common lately at least for me)

Bad- Everything's way to powerful, except for like unturned were-s.  I play demigod characters (cause I like killing things) and I'm still getting taken out by kobolds, bandits, and... elves.....  Sewers had corpses of dead animal men, but not a single alive one.  Animal men in general (They should be specific races, lizardman etc.  And random animal men formed by forces of nature)

Ugly- Nothing really, I don't play on evil biomes, I haven't even met a vampire or undead yet (guess that would be bad I guess)
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 18, 2012, 12:39:07 am »

Ugly - Mechanics Workshop still has backwardly placed abbreviations in its job list.  Compare with Mason Workshop, which has all the abbreviated tasks/doables on the right, in an easily repeatable format.  Mechanic's doesn't return to the last placed task, nor have its abbv's on the left in cool looking parenthesis.  Eyesore, not eyecandy.  Minor flaw, yet quite ugly to me as a smooth fluid GUI, makes my old fingers happiest over the long haul.

Ugly - Workshops with blind corners and police tape, need enlarged, to allow for access from any diacardinal direction.

Edit: right for left, oh no, a dwarf has a dyslexic mood

VERY GOOD - The split up u list.  Love it.  That list is so readable now!  Hooya Boy.  Only the game is now missing a u menu option, in the root menu.  u works, but it isn't listed there as a choice, goes from t view items in buildings to v view something, hehe.  No u in there.  I imagine there lotsa of choices in there, and that could be keybound.  This one of them now?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 01:49:34 am by knutor »
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Hummingbird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 18, 2012, 04:28:40 am »

I'm just going to second everyone above on what is good. I love that there's so much to do in Adventurer Mode, and the zoomed-in travel map really gets you close to the lay of the land and the cities. I love walking into a city and seeing it sprawl all around me.

The ugly:
I'm going to have to second the above opinions on the shops. Currently, only two or three kinds of shops matter to the player: weapon, armor, and food shops. Food shops are all right, but the weapon and armor shops are seriously problematic. On the off chance that they do contain goods (possible but rare), most of them are very low quality, and are of really no use to the player, compared to the decent-quality armor and weapons that are just lying around in castle keeps.

The loot in the dungeons isn't currently very exciting at the moment: mostly it tends to be a bunch of gems (sells for a lot of money, but money isn't worth much due to the above issue) and crappy copper and silver weapons and armor. It ends up encouraging me to start characters with blunt weapons more often, since copper and silver are actually good for blunt weapons. I would appreciate a wider variety of loot in the underground.

About castle dungeons: It doesn't really make sense to me that bandits and baddies would be hiding out under there. The space in the basement is large, but finite; I never understood why the soldiers living in the castle above make no effort to eradicate the outlaws down there, or how they even got in there in the first place. It's just a personal flavor/immersion issue.

It's good to have werecreatures in the game, but I feel that there are too many quests to go kill a werecreature, and that these quests are drowning out the other types. Moreover, they're almost never in their beast form when I go to kill them, so it invariably ends up a matter of squishing some harmless naked peasant, even for lawgiver-level quests. These are disappointing quests at the moment, and it'd be nice to see them improved.
But Elves aren't Vegetarians. They eat people.
So they are humanitarians.

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
« Reply #142 on: February 18, 2012, 04:38:15 am »

I assume eventually werewolf quests would be more, someone has been murdered by a foul beast.  and you'd have to figure out who it was via tracking and eye witness reports or what not.  You know when that stuffs implemented.
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

Hummingbird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 18, 2012, 08:20:40 pm »

Another huge problem with this release is that enemy archers can shoot at you from farther than you can see. I know this problem has been around as long as there have been bows and crossbows in the game, but it's never been more egregious than now, when you can open a door in a dungeon and get immediately pumped full of bolts out of the darkness.
But Elves aren't Vegetarians. They eat people.
So they are humanitarians.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 18, 2012, 09:48:57 pm »

Has anyone actually found something in the sewers? I've spent at least a good 30 minutes between several sewers, and other than the occasional animal man skeleton, they're completely bare.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 19, 2012, 01:35:23 pm »

Has anyone actually found something in the sewers? I've spent at least a good 30 minutes between several sewers, and other than the occasional animal man skeleton, they're completely bare.

Try shorter worldgens. It appears that the stuff gets killed off relatively quickly.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 19, 2012, 04:29:20 pm »

That would explain it. Still, there's almost no evidence anything ever happened down there, other than the skeletons. There's no loot, no water, no plants, no slime....it's just very un-sewer like except for its shape. I'm more worried about getting lost down there and starving to death than I am about danger.

Also, weren't there supposed to be at least a few critters down there? I know Toady stopped animals from appearing in the sewers, but one would think there should be a few alligators or something.

The Grackle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 19, 2012, 10:28:17 pm »

That would explain it. Still, there's almost no evidence anything ever happened down there, other than the skeletons. There's no loot, no water, no plants, no slime....it's just very un-sewer like except for its shape. I'm more worried about getting lost down there and starving to death than I am about danger.

Also, weren't there supposed to be at least a few critters down there? I know Toady stopped animals from appearing in the sewers, but one would think there should be a few alligators or something.

It depends on the sewer.  If no bandits or animal-people moved in during world gen, it'll be empty.  You should wait until someone gives you a quest to go down there, or until you notice a massive FPS drop hinting at many many items below ground.  I just stick to the dungeons below keeps, because they are less confusing. Or at least more compact.

KillzEmAllGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Searching for the other sock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 19, 2012, 11:55:13 pm »

The Good: still die alot but more.

The Bad Bogeyman still round... and world gen way to slow.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 20, 2012, 02:56:44 am »

Good: 34.01 was only out for 4d, before it was fixed up to 34.02, Hoorah for speedy fingers.

Bad: Root menu is missing the u command.  Is it on the breakfast menu, Toady?  Does u disappear after eleven AM?  HEHE!

Sincerely, Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12