Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12

Author Topic: The good, the bad and the ugly - Feedback thread for 34.xx  (Read 27986 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: The good, the bad and the ugly - Feedback thread for 34.01
« Reply #60 on: February 15, 2012, 05:34:55 pm »

I did expect it. This time we didn't have any big rewrite of fundamental systems as it was in 31.01 and the Z-level version, and Toady spend a good time fixing bugs prior to the release.

I think it's surprisingly bug-free, even taking that into account.  Cities were completely rewritten, and they look great and play well, sewer depopulation notwithstanding.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 15, 2012, 05:39:10 pm »

I did expect it. This time we didn't have any big rewrite of fundamental systems as it was in 31.01 and the Z-level version, and Toady spend a good time fixing bugs prior to the release.

I think it's surprisingly bug-free, even taking that into account.  Cities were completely rewritten, and they look great and play well, sewer depopulation notwithstanding.

Yeah, this is probably the most stable big release we ever had and heck, some of the problems people are having arn't new they are long standing problems that only now have complications making them noticable.

Mind you, I havn't been here that long.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 15, 2012, 05:41:39 pm »

It was not really a city rewrite, most of the building blocks were already in place. Toady spent just some few days coding the framework of cities (he spent a lot more tweaking it though)

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 15, 2012, 05:59:45 pm »

Dislike:  Book artifacts, which a dwarf crafter mood makes from the event of an earlier artifact book creation appear to be bugged.  They report to the player as Untitled.  Instead of being, simply the second volume of the same artifact book or a successful sequel.

Sincerely, Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

rex mortis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 15, 2012, 06:10:05 pm »

Good:
  • Towns, finally. Not perfect, but I did not expect them to be.
  • Hunger and thirst in adventure mode. Finally a reason to butcher the random critters I execute.
  • I like the travel map.
Bad:
  • The only weaponsmith's shop was full of silver crap. The only armorsmith's shop was empty.
  • Too many elves in my human capital.
Because death is peaceful and magma is lovely.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 15, 2012, 06:22:23 pm »

the bad this bit of boasting:
human 5 ango stands befor you.
human 5:i am human 5 choke!
human 5:killer of human 5 choke,blah blah .
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 15, 2012, 06:42:53 pm »

Especially consider some individuals historical kills go into the thousands. I almost kind of wish, instead of having baddies recite their bad-ass-itutde to us, it'd be cool to have a small dialog window where you could seek that information, or just attack them. Might be useful for other things too.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 15, 2012, 07:14:22 pm »

Like - Gods cursing mortals.  After about an hour of reading the scroll in Legends, I found a god cursing an already cursed mortal, that had been cursed by a prior God!  Must be a ton of immortal cursing going round, if they are doubling up on the poor mortals.  I cannot wait to see a shapechanging vampire, who got cursed out by two separate and distinct gods with seperate curses.  Will it happen, bets anyone?  One I found was a double Vampire curse.  Could have been a Curse on a native vampire, not sure.

Like - Noble marrying unknown entities.  Clash of the Titans?!  Is Toady a half god half man, Perseus fan?  I'm saying, YUPPER.

Like - Titles for the cult leaders.  X became the First Petal of the Circumstantial Order.  Worshipers of Tawki goddess of gambling, luck, games and lust.  ANYONE wanna take a stab at what race this god was? Sounds like an elf, but.. it is not.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Some of these cults are hilarious.  I saw one in this world, to the God of Labor, whose name was The Humming Denomination.  Who doesn't hum when they work?  HA!

Like - Vampire killing machines! Tobul Cryptspots, 9955+1 kills(1 notable)  Born Dwarf Vampire, of unknown parentage in b73.  Still prowling the world, in twelve hundred years after his birth, survival of the 1st to 2nd Ages.  A true Dwarf Dracula!  I'm trying to dig up more on this creature in Legends.  He is extreme.

Theres lots to like about this patch, LOTS!

Sincerely, Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.

Monkeyfacedprickleback

• Bay Watcher
  • Sweet flaming monkey fire WHY are they doing that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 15, 2012, 07:31:03 pm »

The good- Evil biomes, mist and rain, Reviving undead. Towns and vampires.

The bad- Revival time on undead needs nerfing,As it's impossible to do anything with the corpses before they come back to life. Need imported weapon stores so you can buy iron and steel weapons from the dwarves along with dwarven and elven armour. No store sells arrows, bolts, crutches, backpacks, quivers or waterskins. Can't buy booze anymore.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 15, 2012, 07:31:13 pm »

Like - Tobul Cryptspots(9,956 kills).  Ilral Archthrones(43,041 kills).  Both dwarf vampires, born into it.  I wish it would seperate bites, from kills, in Legends.  Wouldn't it be fun to track their Vampire lineages.  40,000 some of Ilral's kills were from the same dwarf fortress, Flankedpaged.  He spent a good bit of time, cult jumping, it appears he was a member of two dozen cults.  Ilral still prowls the night. Theres some great lore, to inspire long history game play.

Sincerely, Knutor

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 15, 2012, 07:58:32 pm »

Good
  • Cities are great, will be ten times more awesome with schedules, merchants coming and going
  • Love the traders calling out to you, especially when they try to sell the wolf fat just procured
  • New Fortress screens - every tweak to the UI is much appreciated

Bad
  • Is peasant adventurer even viable?  Maybe I'm playing wrong, but I survived a pack of wolves, was very pleased to punch their teeth everywhere, survived a kobold ambush, and another, then got a trouncing by a human bandit, all this just half a days travelling along a road between adjacent towns.  I'm too scared to even leave towns now!  (Same thing happened with a hero, thrice)  I get the feeling adventurer mode is doing everything computationally possible to kill me off before the first sundown.
  • I still really really want a Fortress Mode profession manager

On the fence
I can understand what everyone said about the animal men... when a Kea woman stole my axe I sent the starting seven to eradicate all Kea peoples on the map.  Then thrush people came (or was is wren people? I have immense difficulty visualizing such a bastardization of nature).  Then more kea people.  At which point I became philosophical about the bird-men in my camp, and figured my dwarves could tolerate them quite happily until my forge was running.  In the latest interview Toady talked about taking out real-world referents from names (like bactrian camel), and I like the idea of throwing the player into an unknown situation - animal men take you back and certainly give the setting an otherworldliness rather than fantasy-that-could-be-in-this-world kind of feeling.  But I do miss deer, bears etc.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 09:05:35 pm by hermes »
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Counter-Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 15, 2012, 08:02:56 pm »

Dislike:  Book artifacts, which a dwarf crafter mood makes from the event of an earlier artifact book creation appear to be bugged.  They report to the player as Untitled.  Instead of being, simply the second volume of the same artifact book or a successful sequel.
You might want to check to see if those are letters.  So far the only "Untitled" works I've seen are letters.  Essays, novels, poems, short stories, and guides have titles though.
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 15, 2012, 08:10:24 pm »

I still really really want a Fortress Mode profession manager

Because you're violently opposed to using Dwarf Therapist? (When it's working with the new version.)
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 15, 2012, 09:00:36 pm »

Hey Footkerchief, how do I got about using some of those seeds?

When I try to enter any of those into the custom world gen params, they're too long for the field. If I enter the world gen seed as a custom seed from the main screen of advanced world gen params, it fits.

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 15, 2012, 09:16:45 pm »

I still really really want a Fortress Mode profession manager

Because you're violently opposed to using Dwarf Therapist? (When it's working with the new version.)

Not really, I used it before and it was fantastic which is why I'd like something like that to make an appearance in DF.  However I'm using linux now and I don't think it runs on linux. (?)
But more than that, I like playing vanilla DF without any support programs and hope that one day there won't be a need for Therapist since, for me at least, the game becomes quite unplayable past ~60 dwarves without excessive micromanagement.
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12