Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12

Author Topic: The good, the bad and the ugly - Feedback thread for 34.xx  (Read 27988 times)

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The good, the bad and the ugly - Feedback thread for 34.xx
« on: February 15, 2012, 08:20:55 am »

Use this thread to say what you like, what you dislike, and what could be improved to make DF better after the newest version. Point bugs that are hindering the experience, features that don't work or aren't interesting. Say about what you like and how it could be better. But do not extend yourselves too much - do not go too far into suggesting new features. Let's attain in how to improve what we already have.

I hope that Toady this information to have a concise feedback about what the community thinks about 34.01.

I will start; I just played adventure mode for now, but I think I have a general idea of the new version already. My opinions about fortress mode I will post after playing it.

The awesome:

The towns - they are really fun to walk around. It will be better when the citizens have their schedules.

The good:

Dwarves aren't dying so easily in world gen anymore.
The Town travel map is really helpful after you understand them.
The catacombs and dungeon are fun to explore
Legend mode is making some really interesting stories this time
Lots of companions even in the hamlets.

The bad:
The world gets a lot less interesting after 500 years of generating - empty cities, sewers and dungeons where every critter not immortal dies of old age. The world isn't dynamic as it should be even before world gen ends.
The sewers are not fun. It's almost impossible to find someone specific on them.
There are very few goblins surviving world gen. One had 100.000 dwarves but 2000 goblins - I think most of them are night creatures or prisoners.
Bandits are really difficult this time.
Markets are fun, but lag too much that I always avoid them.

The Ugly -

Vampires can be seen in adventure mode from a mile away - they brag about their human kills, and they use trinkets made of human bone. They can be vicious in combat, but sometimes they are easier to kill than civilians. They should impersonate a normal civilian of the world instead.
Anti-climatic werewolves - When you get a mission to kill them, chances are that you will find them in their normal form. They can be dispatched easily this way. Maybe you couldn't find them in human form, or they should live among normal people while not rampaging, or yet they should only be used in ambushes in the full moon.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 04:35:40 pm by thvaz »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: The good, the bad and the ugly - Feedback thread for 34.01
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 08:40:33 am »

Personally I like DF2010 more, mainly because I feel so out of depth with DFVD ;P

Needless to say, once all the hilarious (yet game crunching) bugs are ironed out, it's going to go on the top of the list :3

Absolutely loving evil biomes.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 08:59:17 am »

DFVD
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I can second the fun of exploring the new cities. It's mostly nice just to see friendly elves and dwarves in adventure mode again. As for bad... yeah, the worldgen survival rate seems to be unbalanced. But not just with goblins. The humans always seem ridiculously outmatched when they get involved in any battles.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 10:03:23 am »

Conversation crash bug brought me to a screeching halt. Pretty vital part of the adventure experience.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 10:04:36 am »

Conversation crash bug brought me to a screeching halt. Pretty vital part of the adventure experience.

I had this problem on the first two worlds I generated - haven't had it ever since.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 10:14:26 am »

I find it odd that Megabeasts are once again being killed on mass. Even the nearly impossible to kill ones.

less then 300 years is all it took for the vast majority of my megabeasts to die off (Bronze collosus' were also slain SOMEHOW!).

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 10:15:24 am »

The Good:

Towns! (lack of real towns was once an FFXIII complaint, irrelevant fact.)
Interactions!
Better dungeoneering!

The Bad:

There's a lot of CREATURE-men roaming outside. Looks like anthropomorphic town outside the towns themselves.
Anticlimactic werecreatures.
Vampires BRAG about their terrors instead of attempting to hide it.

The Ug:

Could not find an entrance into the sewers, and most sections of it are inaccessible, excluding your attempts at swimming inside. Would be nice if some of the grates were hatches instead.

Zombies: People don't react when seeing you reanimate the dead (could be circumvented by making a peoples' reaction tag, like INTERACTION_SHUNNED or something like that.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Felgar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 10:15:39 am »

I did 4 medium world gens in a row with the gen set to stop if dead megabeasts exceeded 80%. I began tracking the beasts deaths at year 100. Every single gen ended before year 200 with three of the four ending before year 150 due to megabeasts dying.

I did a 200 year large gen and 100% of the megabeasts were dead as the tracking for that gen wasn’t supposed to start till year 300.

Something is killing off the megabeasts in world gen.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 11:53:08 am »

Zombies: People don't react when seeing you reanimate the dead (could be circumvented by making a peoples' reaction tag, like INTERACTION_SHUNNED or something like that.

Or maybe necromancy should fall under entity ethics like cannibalism and slavery.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2012, 11:58:04 am »

I think I genned about 4 worlds before I sat down to play one. Two large, one medium and one pocket. And after trying the medium, it still crashed.

I'll take another run at it though. Seems like if it's going to happen at all, it'll happen the first time you try to talk to someone.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2012, 12:07:26 pm »

I think I genned about 4 worlds before I sat down to play one. Two large, one medium and one pocket. And after trying the medium, it still crashed.

I'll take another run at it though. Seems like if it's going to happen at all, it'll happen the first time you try to talk to someone.

I didn't get any crashes with these seeds:

Code: [Select]
Generating world using parameter set CREATE WORLD NOW = 4333333

Seed: Ljg6l4AUwonh3TNdZ0Z6

History Seed: bmMfcYz4ExFUpETur9d6

Name Seed: Rh61jOh79CncEbJTxbtg

Creature Seed: kHGqky2G8I4teFqKcrby

Blah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2012, 12:20:16 pm »

The good:

Some cool new stuff

The bad:

Adventure mode still consists to 75% of trying to find needles in haystacks (finding entrances/exits/etc)
More information and options also means the graphics are struggling even more to properly convey them.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2012, 12:20:50 pm »

Honestly the more I hear about vampires the more I think they are absolutely hillarious!

They are like the obvious villain in every movie who pretends they arn't the villain.

nukularpower

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2012, 12:45:17 pm »

good:  Interactions will add some crazy new stuff for modding
All the adventure stuff

bad:  I personally find the new evil biomes practically unplayable.   Especially terrifying - How can you possibly survive being swarmed by multiple "giant" (that will knock over and mutilate any military dwarves you embark with) zombies that come back to life 5 seconds after you kill them?

Even haunted are ridiculously hard now,  cuz of how fast zombies reanimate.  IMO they should wait for the next full moon or something like that to give you SOME time to figure out a way to deal with them rather than a constant and unstoppable onslaught.

ugly:  Getting swarmed by 95 zombie giant mosquitos within 20 seconds of embark. 

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2012, 12:51:01 pm »

The Giant animal spam is a bug, plus the constant reanimation is a plus D:<
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12