Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12

Author Topic: The good, the bad and the ugly - Feedback thread for 34.xx  (Read 27956 times)

nukularpower

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The good, the bad and the ugly - Feedback thread for 34.01
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2012, 01:00:30 pm »

How is it a plus?  I'm all for constant reanimation, but there should be SOME break time to take preventative measure, from an interesting gameplay perspective if nothing else.  Not 5 seconds later - how is it fun, or even !FUN!, to just lose as soon as you start no matter what?  How can you possibly get a fort going on an evil biome with the way it is currently set up?  Like I posted elsewhere, I'm not a super pro at this game, but I tried about 12 different embarks on a variety of terrifying and haunted embarks that all failed miserably within, at most, 15 minutes (many obviously much shorter than that) without even being able to get a hole dug to stuff my dwarfs in in any single one of them.

Also, everything that dies turning immortal just doesn't make sense, and given how much death there is in DF, is clearly not sustainable for any kind of decent FPS. 

Maybe the zombification on death shouldn't be 100%...

I just don't really feel that this is an improvement to the DF2010 evil biomes.  They just might as well not be there any more, for me.    Really hoping it gets toned down, or can at least be modded.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 01:06:16 pm by nukularpower »

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2012, 01:18:54 pm »

Ditto on the animalmen

In my embarks so far there just a silly amount of animalmen roaming into the map.

Embark in evil biome, get swarmed by animalmen zombies.

The good? Haven't survived long enough to find out yet  :P

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2012, 01:41:27 pm »

How can you possibly survive being swarmed by multiple "giant" (that will knock over and mutilate any military dwarves you embark with) zombies that come back to life 5 seconds after you kill them?

Even haunted are ridiculously hard now,  cuz of how fast zombies reanimate.  IMO they should wait for the next full moon or something like that to give you SOME time to figure out a way to deal with them rather than a constant and unstoppable onslaught.

You kill them better.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

utuki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2012, 01:48:46 pm »

How is it a plus?  I'm all for constant reanimation, but there should be SOME break time to take preventative measure, from an interesting gameplay perspective if nothing else.  Not 5 seconds later - how is it fun, or even !FUN!, to just lose as soon as you start no matter what?  How can you possibly get a fort going on an evil biome with the way it is currently set up?  Like I posted elsewhere, I'm not a super pro at this game, but I tried about 12 different embarks on a variety of terrifying and haunted embarks that all failed miserably within, at most, 15 minutes (many obviously much shorter than that) without even being able to get a hole dug to stuff my dwarfs in in any single one of them.

Also, everything that dies turning immortal just doesn't make sense, and given how much death there is in DF, is clearly not sustainable for any kind of decent FPS. 

Maybe the zombification on death shouldn't be 100%...

I just don't really feel that this is an improvement to the DF2010 evil biomes.  They just might as well not be there any more, for me.    Really hoping it gets toned down, or can at least be modded.

I am currently playing in terrifying biome and it feels mostly same as before, monsters just resurrect instead of respawing at edge. Tactics is the same - embark with wood and stone, build wall with stone door around wagon with space for stairs.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2012, 02:00:33 pm »

I forgot about this

-The Ugly
Infestation of stupid donation animalmen.

I liked the animals, but I can't stand the new animalmen (Damselflyman? WTF?). I had to take them by hand from the raws. And of the Giant variety I left just some.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2012, 02:14:31 pm »

I think part of the issue with undead is Toady hasn't yet put in the "pulping" framework that would make them a little easier to kill.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

nukularpower

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2012, 02:16:49 pm »

I forgot about this

-The Ugly
Infestation of stupid donation animalmen.

I liked the animals, but I can't stand the new animalmen (Damselflyman? WTF?). I had to take them by hand from the raws. And of the Giant variety I left just some.

Yeah, I'm not really sure why each new animal needs a "man" variant.  Seems kinda silly :/

Any chance you would post those raws just to save me the trouble of taking them out?

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2012, 02:19:35 pm »

the good, vampires aren't in hiding nor need to, foolish necromancers thrall back fire, fix the whole lack of parent thing, TONS of BANDITS, BANDITS far as the eye could see you will fear the Fast travel system.

the bad reports of above being bad, Rivers being able to cross in normal mode but a major road block in fast travel.

the ugly news of the remove of certain words.

I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2012, 02:45:35 pm »

Yeah, I'm not really sure why each new animal needs a "man" variant.  Seems kinda silly :/

Agreed.   Its nice having the extra variation for forgotten beasts and such, but I'm not a fan of the every possible kind of animal man thing.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2012, 02:54:17 pm »

Agreed.   Its nice having the extra variation for forgotten beasts and such, but I'm not a fan of the every possible kind of animal man thing.

I am just not a fan of it using absolutely all of them for every world.

Though it is as I said before. Dwarf fortress as it currently is cannot handle variety.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2012, 02:55:20 pm »

Back in one of the older versions of DF I created a script which automatically went through the animal raws and created a procedurally generated animalperson creature and civilization for nearly every animal in the raws.  It was very silly, and I didn't play with that mod because it just got silly seeing so many animalmen showing up.  When I finally start a fortress in the new version, I'll probably mod out most of the animalpeople first.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2012, 02:57:32 pm »

Back in one of the older versions of DF I created a script which automatically went through the animal raws and created a procedurally generated animalperson creature and civilization for nearly every animal in the raws.  It was very silly, and I didn't play with that mod because it just got silly seeing so many animalmen showing up.  When I finally start a fortress in the new version, I'll probably mod out most of the animalpeople first.

I don't know I still say there is a way to handle all these animalmen in a better way.

I mean what part of having soo many animalmen is the exact problem? Is it because the second you step outside there are like 20 different animalmen of different species?

I will admit my bias is that I actually like the idea of a lot of types of animalmen.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2012, 03:01:01 pm »

I don't know I still say there is a way to handle all these animalmen in a better way.

I mean what part of having soo many animalmen is the exact problem? Is it because the second you step outside there are like 20 different animalmen of different species?

I will admit my bias is that I actually like the idea of a lot of types of animalmen.

I think I just don't like how specific they are.  Reptile men, snake men etc are fine because those describe large groups of creatures.  But having a humanoid version of every single species gets a little weird.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2012, 03:02:10 pm »

The problem for me is having some silly animalmen, like the cited damselflyman, and to have many too similar animalmen, for example, rattlesnakeman and adderman, when I was happy with just the serpentman.

Any chance you would post those raws just to save me the trouble of taking them out?

I can't upload any file where I am right now, but I can later.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2012, 03:04:17 pm »

I think I just don't like how specific they are.  Reptile men, snake men etc are fine because those describe large groups of creatures.  But having a humanoid version of every single species gets a little weird.

Yeah, and the fact that alot them exist outside the caverns too. Kinda breaks the fantasy feel in some ways, if you ask me.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12