Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress made me lose my humanity  (Read 9492 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Dwarf Fortress made me lose my humanity
« on: April 23, 2008, 01:44:00 am »

In fact, I think I'm going to fail a course because of unethical reasoning. Apparently people don't enjoy being considered as probability in the grand scheme of things and people don't like it when you reason justifiable murder in the face of potential gain.

Also, Facebook's evil-o-meter says I'm Satan, and that only happened after I started playing Dwarf Fortress. Everyone knows Facebook is always right, so that's irrefutable proof right there.

The side benefit is that I can assure you when I take over the world, everyone will die in a very humorous way that may or may not involve magma, kittens and a very, very big dining room.

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress made me lose my humanity
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 01:56:00 am »

A very, very big dining room?  Well, then everything is A-OK(or is that A(RM)OK?).  All is forgiven with a very, very big dining room.
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

Lyrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 02:02:00 am »

As long as we all get to eat in the dining room, too, I don't see anything wrong with that.
Witty

Comedian
Dabbling Pacifier
Dabbling Judge of Intent
Skilled Forum Poster

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 02:04:00 am »

It's simply conditioning.  You know how dwarves become hardened when they spend time around death?  Well, it happens to the players as well.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 02:29:00 am »

Why not tell us what happened in some details instead of popping in and saying "DF is gonna make me lose a class!"

This thread, so far, does not deliver.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 03:47:00 am »

Capntastic
quote:
Apparently people don't enjoy being considered as probability in the grand scheme of things and people don't like it when you reason justifiable murder in the face of potential gain.

Isn't it enough for you to explain what happened?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 03:59:00 am »

Yeah but I like specifics; I feel cheated if a story is only half told.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2008, 07:11:00 am »

While I'm sure the full specifics will only serve to bore you to death, suffice it to say is that I wrote a lengthy and decisive paper concerning the logic behind willingly and knowingly murdering someone for the unlikely prospect of a more interesting life. In the same way one would shoot a close friend, then maim his cold, lifeless corpse with a lawnmower when the payoff is the unlikely (but still entirely possible) chance of becoming Superman.

And while my peers thought it to be most engaging and logical, they also deemed me to be satan-spawn and a potential threat to humanity at my ability to quote-unquote "reason life away".

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2008, 07:23:00 am »

Things were going fine until I saw that last bit.  "Reason life away"?  That's not something you want to hear.  That's something a person who view life as supernaturally sacred says, and that's rarely a good sign.

Also, lawnmower?  Superman?  C'mon man, we're not gonna be bored by that!  Bring it!

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2008, 07:52:00 am »

tl/dr: I'm not showing off my baby! Gerrof my lawn!

I only gave that example because it's entertaining. The entirety of the paper is far more serious (it is a full-length academic paper) and the examples are more along the lines of justifying the holocaust through semantic externalism.

It's not really intended for casual, online reading and I have no intention of letting the general public get rifled up over some of the content that could potentially get me banned. It would be the same as intentionally saying "Apple sucks!" in a Mac forum (or going, "Christians suck!" in an internet forum). I fully understand this sounds entirely unconvincing, but that's how it is.

The simple fact of the matter is that 30 years in the future when you live underfoot the oppressive heel of a superconglomerate corporation, forced to eat and drink mushrooms and toil for meaningless mandates, you can only blame Dwarf Fortress.

edit: I also noticed I seem to type much longer posts whenever I'm on this forum.

[ April 23, 2008: Message edited by: umiman ]

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2008, 11:17:00 am »

GTA ain't got nothin on Dwarf Fortress it seems  :D
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Fishersalwaysdie

• Bay Watcher
  • Slayer of Threads
    • View Profile
    • http://chupacabra
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2008, 01:41:00 pm »

Yeah I got desensitized by DF too...
I hope it's not permanent.

[ April 23, 2008: Message edited by: Fishersalwaysdie ]

Cannot find self-destruction button, could have sworn it's somewhere here...

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2008, 04:14:00 pm »

A while ago, some people on a russian forumboard were discussing whether or no DF was a phenomenon in itself. Most thought it wasn't. I guess they were wrong...

Also, while I did not go down to specifics such as murder, I was considering that planet-wide war is good, in the way it would make life interesting, long before I ever heard of DF. I didn't write anything about it though.  :)

I guess it happens, some people get bored with life. It's just that some want to end it, and some go to great lengths to liven it up.

[ April 23, 2008: Message edited by: Sean Mirrsen ]

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2008, 05:10:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Sean Mirrsen:
<STRONG>I was considering that planet-wide war is good, in the way it would make life interesting</STRONG>

I suspect this opinion isn't entirely uncommon among people who've never fought in, lost anyone to, or otherwise been significantly affected by a war.  Those who have probably find this POV appalling.

Hypothetical course of events:  Life is dull.  Then it gets interesting.  Life is miserable.  Then it quiets down.  Life is dull.  Dull is good.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2008, 05:14:00 pm »

I think that, with the level of military technology we've obtained, a third world war would be game over for mankind.
Shoes...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5