Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress made me lose my humanity  (Read 9491 times)

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress made me lose my humanity
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2008, 05:28:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Cthulhu:
[QB][/QB]

How interesting you should post. While I've never thought the concept of world war would be beneficial, I have considered the prospect of Cthulhu rising out R'lyeh to be potentially exciting!

Nesoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2008, 05:32:00 pm »

That really really big dining had better have one chair per table or I will be seriously angry. As long as such is the case, everything is cool  :D
000508 □ [dwarf mode][flows] flooding over a full pond will kill the fish inside

Istrian

• Bay Watcher
  • Malevolent Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2008, 05:42:00 pm »

quote:
<STRONG>I think that, with the level of military technology we've obtained, a third world war would be game over for mankind.</STRONG>

So what ? We can always generate another world. At least we are unlikely to get the same civs/religions twice in a row.

Actually, if we do two world-gens in a row, we are likely to get overpopulation through overbuilding cities in every available non-mountain square.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2008, 09:29:00 pm »

Not overpopulation so much.  Just far too much claimed territory per capita and a very large distance between houses.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2008, 10:08:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Nesoo:
<STRONG>That really really big dining had better have one chair per table or I will be seriously angry. As long as such is the case, everything is cool   :D</STRONG>

Geez, what do you think I am? Cruel? Of course each table will have one +andesite throne+ each.

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2008, 10:16:00 pm »

quote:
<STRONG>I think that, with the level of military technology we've obtained, a third world war would be game over for mankind.</STRONG>

And Jesus would be our "Continue? [9]" screen.

(Lighthearted joke. Please don't take offense anybody.)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2008, 10:20:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by umiman:
<STRONG>(or going, "Christians suck!" in an internet forum)</STRONG>

Atheists rule the internet, we all know that.  I don't see how it's the same thing as proclaiming your choice of fruit in a Macintosh forum.

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hey urist! I think that cat is having a seizure!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2008, 10:50:00 pm »

Apples are discusting! Bananas for life!
ooooo! Swamp wiskey! Yeah!!

Sylverone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://sylverone.deviantart.com
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2008, 11:35:00 pm »

"Also, Facebook's evil-o-meter says I'm Satan, and that only happened after I started playing Dwarf Fortress. Everyone knows Facebook is always right, so that's irrefutable proof right there.

The side benefit is that I can assure you when I take over the world, everyone will die in a very humorous way that may or may not involve magma, kittens and a very, very big dining room."   -umiman (sorry, for some reason quote tags weren't working for me)

"Dang it! Why does the world generator keep giving me these wacked dictators?! All of my adventurers are getting gruesomely murdered in their starting towns! I quit Dwarf Fortress!"      -me

-=-=-

Now I'll be a bit more serious with my following comment.

Umiman, if Dwarf Fortress has desensitized you, it's at least partially because you have allowed it to. I don't know if you care, or have any desire to be otherwise, but I figured I may as well say this. When I began playing Dwarf Fortress (and it took me a while to actually do so because of some of its content), I decided that I wasn't going to allow it to desensitize me. I just don't do things in the game that I dislike from a moral standpoint. Most "evils" that I do in the game are accidental, and I work around them and try to avoid them in the future. Don't get me wrong; I can get some enjoyment out of the silly gruesome fights, morbid happenings, and the sillyness of the game, but I treat it in this manner because I want to avoid it affecting my real-world judgement. For instance, I refuse to let the game affect my thoughts on murder, as I believe in avoiding killing at all costs in reality.

Also, if you want to avoid being desinsitized, don't treat DF as more real than it really is. The way I see it, something's wrong when you allow your in-game decisions and choices to affect your real-life ideas and choices concerning the matter.

I apologize if I sound judgemental; I have my own problems (and I should know better than anyone). Actually it's to your credit that you recognise the change in your thinking. Simply knowing such things about yourself can give you much more control over your life on the personal level. I don't mean to instruct anyone, as these are my personal beliefs. You may choose for yourself whether to do anything with it or not, and I respect that choice.

Also, I recognise that the original post was meant partially as humor. My purpose isn't to kill that, so you may continue now. Don't worry; no more text blocks from me in this thread.    :)

[ April 24, 2008: Message edited by: Sylverone ]

[ April 24, 2008: Message edited by: Sylverone ]

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2008, 01:37:00 am »

I know exactly what you mean. About a week ago I was joking to someone about something, and I said something that would have resulted in the death of a kitten. I don't quite remember what it was, but I didn't even think about it when I said it, and then I got this look, and I was like "what"?

I didn't even realize at that moment that kitten murdering jokes weren't okay outside of dwarf fortress.

Seriously though, I would like to see that paper, though you definitely should stick with your gut and not let anyone see it.

For those who are arguing about the very existance of such a paper, consider this:

The bombing of Hiroshima... Mass murder, or war act. Was it justifiable, and without dropping it there, would the world be a better or worse place?

Who can argue with murdering for gain, when you consider that all war is is institutionalized murder for gain?

War brings no good, but without it 90% of us would still be living in impoverished villages if not hunting/gathering tribes, having never been subjected to a romanized tradition that allowed the world to become organized (if not civilized)

... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2008, 03:05:00 am »

It is, however, a big jump from wars that have brought about the spread of cultures and civilization, fought with gladius and pilum, to mustard gas, daisy-cutters, minefields, WMDs and ethic 'cleansings'.  It could be argued that the time when war can change the whole world for its ultimate betterment is past; failing that, you could argue that the stakes have indeed become so high that a conflict of sufficient size would return us to a state where pre-romanization looks like an attractive prospect.

I've never experienced war firsthand, and I don't care to.  I believe what the people who have say about them, and I doubt there's much excitement at all in nigh-unstoppable pain, horror, suffering and death on a scale no sane person can comprehend.

On a more humorous note, the title of this thread keeps making me think 'omg DF made me botch my humanity roll!'

[ April 24, 2008: Message edited by: McDoomhammer ]

"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

Lyrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2008, 03:23:00 am »

If it weren't possible to reason murder for profit, we'd have little murder.

Now the mower/superman example was really weird and not... testable, but there are plenty of other examples throughout history.  Could you kill a known mass murderer, in order to save the life of a friend?  Most likely.  Would you consider killing a ruthless dictator who wanted to imprison you for political reasons?  Probably.  Would you be willing to kill a mafia don on the off chance he might be plotting your demise?  Maybe.  It all depends on a lot of things, but I'm fairly certain that if enough is known about a person's moral standings, it's possible to come up with a situation in which they'd be willing to kill someone else.  Nearly everyone has at least one such situation, and most probably have far more.  I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing.

Also: are you considering murder to be the same thing as letting someone die?  If you do, then there's a whole 'nother category that gets examined.

Witty

Comedian
Dabbling Pacifier
Dabbling Judge of Intent
Skilled Forum Poster

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2008, 03:35:00 am »

Sylverone: It is just a comedy thread highlighting a nonsensical correlation. Of course I understand it isn't Dwarf Fortress that desensitizes, it should be common sense, innit? Dwarf Fortress is merely an interface on which you act out upon. The program on its own does nothing. Everything depends on the user himself and as such, any derived effects people might claim from Dwarf Fortress would stem from the user himself. This would be the same as holding a kitchen knife. You could kill, or you could cook, but that kitchen knife on its own isn't going to do anything by itself.

I never get people who blame things on unrelated matters, the fact of the matter is that the human mind was created to process information. The external world only exists as it is, an external world. The world doesn't do anything beyond merely existing. The only thing that applies meaning to the world is the conscious human being. Anything you learn from this external world is merely a byproduct of your own thought process. That's why when one person sees something, he might see something completely different than another. This is the reason why one person might view the cover of the latest Bangkok Dormitory Boys DVD to be insanely funny, but others might question his sexuality. (Look! It really is funny, okay!)

After all, in reality, I would much rather prefer saying I am evil because I am evil... rather than saying I am evil because some game made me evil... but that's just me.

edit: though it won't stop me from saying so for the purpose of comedy.

[ April 24, 2008: Message edited by: umiman ]

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2008, 04:11:00 am »

Look, it's called a chef's knife.  There's no such thing as a "kitchen knife".

And I can in all honesty say that I'm not the one making it dance the tango.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2008, 04:14:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by McDoomhammer:
<STRONG>I doubt there's much excitement at all in nigh-unstoppable pain, horror, suffering and death on a scale no sane person can comprehend.</STRONG>

I'm sure it's quite exciting.  That doesn't mean I want that sort of excitement.    :p

Also,

quote:
Originally posted by McDoomhammer:
<STRONG>On a more humorous note, the title of this thread keeps making me think 'omg DF made me botch my humanity roll!'</STRONG>

I approve.

[ April 24, 2008: Message edited by: Earthquake Damage ]

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5