Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Beware the Zombie Mussel Shells!  (Read 15520 times)

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Beware the Zombie Mussel Shells!
« on: February 15, 2012, 01:51:42 pm »

Soooo, I just started up my first fortress with the new version, hoping for some spectacular undead !!FUN!!, as it was set up close to a necromancers tower. Things were coming along nicely, although I as usual had neglected my defences somewhat. Anyhow, right after the arrival of the first caravan, I get notified that "the dead walk the land", and find 4 zombies at the map edge, a goblin, 2 elves and a human. Great timing I think, as the caravan guards should be able to help me to dispose of these. The zombies approach my entrance and with perfect timing coincide with the caravan, whose guards quickly dispatch them, or so I think...

Suddenly, 20 or so mussel shells spring to life from my nearby fishery, quickly kill the nearby caravan axedwarf and proceed to wreak havoc in my fortress. Shortly after the zombies who I thought dead rise again and join them, along with an undead capybara head, it's mutilated corpse and the newly killed dwarves. I couldn't bring myself to try and stop it, it was too much fun watching my dwarves run in panic from the swarm of mussel shells.

Anyway, I guess now any kind of refuse or animal remains should be considered hazardous material? The biome wasn't even evil, so didn't expect to have anything but the invading undead attacking me, and am not sure how to proceed with making my next fortress safer :>

Crinkles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beware the Zombie Mussel Shells!
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 01:58:18 pm »

Animal remains are hazardous only if you let the undead get near it in the first place. If you build your food-processing workshops and refuse stockpile deep within the fortress, it should be relatively safe. That does mean your fortress will be in more danger if the stockpile does become post-mortal, but you can always hook up some sort of quarantine mechanism.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 01:59:17 pm »

Ah, good to know, thanks ^^

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 02:03:39 pm »

...some sort of quarantine mechanism.

Oh god, DF just got a whole lot worse with that statement, Resident Evil anyone?
Wow, that's actually really friggin' awesome looking.
That is brilliant.
That is hilarious, Ashton. I love it.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

Totally not a narcissist.

werechicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 02:14:30 pm »

This sounds like a bug. I mean how would a zombie shell even move or, for that matter, attack things?

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 02:15:14 pm »

This sounds like a bug. I mean how would a zombie shell even move or, for that matter, attack things?

Like a mussel would. Clack it's shell halves together and bounce around.
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 02:18:52 pm »

Like a mussel would. Clack it's shell halves together and bounce around.

In short, the same way an undead carp would move on land.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 02:26:50 pm »

...some sort of quarantine mechanism.

Oh god, DF just got a whole lot worse with that statement, Resident Evil anyone?

No, more like the 28th of Felsite later.

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 02:28:27 pm »

We need to know what happens with zombie mussel shells dipped in forgotten beast extract. :o
He stole an onion. Off with his head.
I wonder, what would they do if someone killed their king.
Inevitable, who cares. Now an onion...

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2012, 02:50:47 pm »

So ... does this mean we can be attacked by zombie water buffalo cartilage?   :o  *sproing*  *sproing*  *sproing*  Look out!  Here it ...  URK!  *messy sound of someone being garrotted by a stretchy cord*
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2012, 02:51:33 pm »

So ... does this mean we can be attacked by zombie water buffalo cartilage?   :o  *sproing*  *sproing*  *sproing*  Look out!  Here it ...  URK!  *messy sound of someone being garrotted by a stretchy cord*

I imagine them to sound like they are going "RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!" as they swarm around the floor in a black carpet of nippling shells and razor edged lips.
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2012, 02:53:50 pm »

I imagine them to sound like they are going "RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!" as they swarm around the floor in a black carpet of nippling shells and razor edged lips.
I guess they tie your ankles together so you fall over, then garrot you?   :D
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2012, 03:06:56 pm »

We need to know what happens with zombie mussel shells dipped in forgotten beast extract. :o

I dunno, but I just realized how hungry I am.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2012, 03:10:11 pm »

One of my dwarfs was killed by somekind of parrot. Zeds seem to have some kind of super-strenght.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2012, 04:13:52 pm »

You call it a bug, I call it a feature.

The DF community as a whole calls it Fun.
Pages: [1] 2 3