Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [34.01] ignoring d_init settings?  (Read 911 times)

nopil3os

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[34.01] ignoring d_init settings?
« on: February 15, 2012, 04:06:07 pm »

i have set weather and temperature to NO (playing on a netbook) and the population cap set to 60 (child cap 5:1000), yet it's constantly raining (normal rain) and the fortress gets migrant wave after migrant wave, current population is 81 with 21 children. is it just me or is df ignoring these values? (that would be really annoying)
I'd be shocked if dwarves didn't eat the demons they killed. After all, if they're willing to eat a poison spewing monstrosity, why not a flying dinosaur thing that hates all life?

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [34.01] ignoring d_init settings?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 04:30:26 pm »

Unless I'm mistaken, if it was raining when you went and turned off weather, it'll stay raining forever. As for the pop cap, as it says in the file, migrant children, pre-existing pregnancies, and multiple births can all push you over your child cap, and migrant waves don't stop until you're already at the cap - you'll usually get two or three after hitting the maximum.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 04:30:52 pm »

In the last version the game pre-determined migrant waves, so if it set up a wave of 20 dwarves, and you had 20 dwarves with a pop cap of 30, you'll get all 20 dwarves of that migrant wave and then no others. This may have changed though with all migrants being historical figures.

As for the weather settings, no idea. Are you using the base version or a tileset version?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

nopil3os

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 04:48:34 pm »

i know there are hardcoded migrant waves but i'm in late autumn of year 2 now and kept getting at least 2 waves of about 10 dwarves after hitting the cap. you get more than the cap easily, i know, but the amount worried me (enough to complain about it here.. ;) i can only hope this is it now since i am low on food already.

rain: so activating it again, wait for it to stop, then deactivate should work? that's a relief, thanks!

tileset: i play as vanilla as possible. graphic tilesets confuse me.

I'd be shocked if dwarves didn't eat the demons they killed. After all, if they're willing to eat a poison spewing monstrosity, why not a flying dinosaur thing that hates all life?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 05:08:39 pm »

Then it's possible the rules about pop cap may have changed. I would occasionally get waves beyond my pop cap, but they would get progressively smaller until they stopped coming altogether.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 05:19:05 pm »

81 with a pop cap of 60 is only 21 over the limit, not that much, two waves of ~10 or 11. It's normal for there to be two waves once you hit the cap. They were already in transit when the cap was reached. Travel time is taken into account.

Though, at least as of 31.25 all migrant's names and skills were calculated the VERY SECOND they entered the map. Rarely, if saved at the right moment, this was exploitable to "fish" for desired skills. Only total size of the wave is/was pre-ordained. That's changed now it seems.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 05:22:00 pm by Reelya »

nopil3os

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 05:27:09 pm »

it seems to have stopped now. when the dwarven caravan brings enough seeds i think i'll manage.
oooh the hazzle with new forts. my 31.25 save was a 44 year old fortress. i wanted to play until dwarves start to die of old age. i could let that fort be for an hour without damage. and now? no coal, no iron ore and no cave in the first 70 z-levels...

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 05:28:31 pm »

Dig around more, it's possible you dug past the cavern level #1. You can always tree-farm for fuel, and use magma forges. Coal's over-rated.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 06:15:31 pm »

yeah a treemendous muddied underground area will supply charcoal for the largest of smelting ops.