Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Where are you guys ?  (Read 2866 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Where are you guys ?
« on: February 15, 2012, 05:24:37 pm »

So after a few days of embark in a not that bad zone, the nearby river ice has melted and the water is flowing.
My wagon has been disbanded so i could get some wood. The miners have dug the Earth and uncovered several layers down a big cavern that look very empty from there.
There's no way yet to actually move into the cavern, i prefered to not destroy the wall separating my dwarves from it (the guys are far from being ready).

So my miners have now been digging a lot to build a meeting hall, so the dwarves don't stay outdoor, they have been mining the workshop zones too, and have been mining the underground farm, near the river bed, i'm preparing the levers so i can flood the farm ground then close the door to the river so i'll be able to plant those plump helmet and start my food chain.

meanwhile, near the underground fortress stairs, i setup some stone stockpile to put all those rocks obtained from the digging.

Well, so far a rather classic start and we're only a few days in the game.
But then

and a few days later

Huh ?
I'm not sure what is happening, there have been absolutely no migrant (it's only a few weeks i think in the fortress), most of the guys have been going from the stockpile, to the meeting hall and nowhere else that i can think about (the river to drink is close to the entrance of the fortress and the stockpiles, so unless there's some stupid AI code that force them to move all over the map and ignore the nearby river i can't think of them going away)

I had no message of anyone fighting so i assume there's no animals that attacked them.
It let me with the vampire thing, but the game just started and there's no migrant, is it possible that a vampire is a part of the original expedition ?

And how can i find whatever happened to those 2 guys, i looked around the map and see nothing.

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Where are you guys ?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 05:39:24 pm »

Advice:
1} open dwarf therapist and identify if they still exist as being alive or if they have died.
2} use a and r to see if there's any history of the last things they've been doing.
3} view the stats and personalities of remaining dwarves for possible clues.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 05:52:23 pm »

Thank you, i completely forgot to check " r " , i was only checking the (a)nnouncement and (u)nit list panels and indeed there's some kind of problem from the (r)eports :

if i develop :

Both dwarves have the same kind of report, if i press z for location, i find them in the bottom of a waterfall, both "partial corpse" at the same exact location. So they fell to their death without me noticing (or any announcement appearing)

If i looks at the dwarves, each of them are happy (from being socializing in the meeting hall i guess) , but i noticed the expedition leader is not happy :

Is it possible for a dwarf to fall to his death just like this by himself ?
I don't remember having seen such thing in any past fortress i ran, everytime i had a dwarf fell to his death it involved a fight or a cave in
But in that case i don't understand, don't tell me the expedition leader is not a vampire but a serial killer and just pushed both dwarves to their death at a week of interval ?
If it is not the case, why are they listed as missing if the expedition leader knows ?

I'll have to build a big wall at the top of that waterfall to prevent more suicidal dwarves to go there (or prevent that expedition leader to push them if she's the one doing that

edit : it happened to a weasel, on the exact same spot. I doubt the expedition leader is that insane to go push the weasels too, there must be some weird gameplay mechanic at work there.
Just in case i build a floor and a wall at the waterfall start, so hopefully the dwarves will be stopped from jumping stupidly to their death.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 06:13:43 pm by Robsoie »

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 06:15:13 pm »

If it says unconcious it sounds like they're still alive... and you can use dwarf therapist to verify.  The bad news is due to the injuries and lack of food they will most likely die.  It would take some radical miracle to recover them and restore them back to even where they're moving.  If you scroll upwards in the (r)eports it might provide more details such as if they were pushed by the waterfalls water or were struggling with an animal.  I don't think this is the result of a vampire, since vampires usually just leave their victims on the ground already dead. 
It would be fun if some of the vampires were more intelligent and would hide the bodies of their victims.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 07:05:29 pm »

There wasn't more detail in the "combat" log, only the description of the ground "fighting" their body when they smashed on it, so there's possibly a path finding problem that led them to jump to their death.

But i really wonder why they were even going in that spot to start with, as the zone is this :

So they never had any kind of "need" to go there, food and water were close from the meeting hall.

For the "unconscious" message i think that's a bug, because they're really dead, as i just saw their ghosts haunting the area (i completely forgot to build memorials).

Molay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 07:19:56 pm »

If it says unconcious it sounds like they're still alive... and you can use dwarf therapist to verify.

You mentioned therapist twice now. I must ask, before I continue reading, how did you manage to actually use dwarf therapist? It doesn't work anymore. I checked the thread for DT and people are still working on fixing it.

If you have a version of DT that works, please share your knowledge in the DT thread! http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=66525.msg2992018#msg2992018

Edit: Sorry I didn't mean to be rude by posting something not related to your little suicidal problem. I don't quite know how vampires act, but I doubt they will launch weasels down a waterfall. That doesn't seem very vampiric to me.

So here is my guess:
1) Did you designate anything to be cut in the region to the north or on the other side of the river? Since rivers have ramps now, I can imagine they attempt to go through the river, then being drifted away by the current to finally smash their faces at the bottom of that waterfall.

Idea: Designate something on the opposite side of the river and watch what patch said dwarves take to cross it. Since you have floors now, they might use them. If they do, remove the floors and try it again to see if they go into the river. Watch if the river drifts them away.

Also, what professions had those unlucky dwarves enabled? Maybe they were out there for a task (hunter? woodcutter? gatherer?).

Ultimately, I would wall off the whole region near the waterfall and make some nice, isolated living place for nobles there. Always look at the useful side something like this can bring you!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 07:26:27 pm by Molay »
The best alternative to having a functional steel industry is to have a really, really, really good hospital. And a lot of coffins.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 07:30:52 pm »

they were my very competent mason and carpenter, i don't think i assigned them any task in the other side of the river.

As you mention the river having ramps, it's possible then that when building the well, for some insane reason they decided it was a good idea to get to swim to the other side, at least that's for the mason, i don't see why the carpenter decided to get there, maybe drinking too much booze didn't helped.

I'll wall the whole section following your advice, as there are plenty of high spots for suicidal dwarves in the north of my fort.

Molay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 07:41:02 pm »

Mh... Still very intriguing what has been going on.

I have another guess.

Do you tend to have wild animals or anything else on your map that scares dwarves away? Maybe one such beast approached them when drinking at the well (did you even lack booze? Why would they drink at a well anyways...) and they ran into the river.
But, unless changed with the new version, dwarves won't even attempt entering high water unless they are swimmers. It's all very strange.

Also, I've had a second look at the combat report for the carpenter. Actually, there is something intriguing to me.
He fell down that murderous waterfall, landed, breaking his skull and tearing apart the brain.
I mean, his brain! Actually, why isn't he dead?
All dwarves I ever had died when their brain was teared apart. Now I'm not sure what kind of dwarves you have... But they are probably not the dwarfiest dwarves.

Since a living dwarf without brain seems rather peculiar, you might want to wall him in too while he is unconscious. :D

You seem to have a Fun little fort there.
The best alternative to having a functional steel industry is to have a really, really, really good hospital. And a lot of coffins.

LemmingKing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 11:30:21 pm »

Could be a potential bug or even a "feature". I found that when I started one of my forts on a river during this new release to get to the other side my dwarves tried to cross the falls. I completely forgot rivers were impassable but didn't think they would do that, long story short all dwarves died and I had to abandon.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 02:26:15 am »

I think I've seen this before. I notice there is a drop there, so you have a little waterfall? The water is shallower there and the pathing thinks your dwarf will be able to cross the river there. He steps in, gets swept away, breaks some bones on landing, passes out and drowns
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Rapozk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2012, 07:26:59 am »

Well, there is ramps in the rivers now, maybe they tried to walk to the other side and got caught in the water?

Sounds unbelievable though since dwarf have never tried to do so in earlier versions even if you had ramps. 

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2012, 08:43:19 am »

They tried to cross the river.  At the edge of the waterfall, the water is low enough that the dwarves think the tiles are safe to walk on.  Ramps let dwarves try to cross rivers more easily now.  But when they walked across, the flowing water pushed them off the waterfall and they fell to their doom.

This should be kept in mind, waterfalls are seriously dangerous now that rivers have ramps.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2012, 02:27:02 pm »

Oh dear. Looks as though rapid tunnelling plus pathing restriction is going to be necessary in waterfall embarks. Don't dig the tunnel all at once, you don't want your miner wandering across the water to dig the other side. You'll probably need to babysit the miner too by only setting the last tile to be dug once they're right next to it. Miners have preferred directions for digging, but as long as there's a designated tile available orthogonally they'll stay standing where they are.

If it says unconcious it sounds like they're still alive...
That particular line often occurs with one-hit kills. Also you can see the two corpses in the screenshot below it.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

oldark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2012, 05:42:24 pm »

Dwarfs will show "unconscious" in the (r)eport and be listed as missing when they die and none of your other dwarfs get line of sight to their bodies.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2012, 05:55:43 pm »

You should probably dig one level above water from behind the bottom of the falls and then ramp down. This should prevent flooding and encourage survival.