Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Please Don't - Difficulty  (Read 21512 times)

Necromunger

• Bay Watcher
  • Last Survivor of Bodicebent.
    • View Profile
Please Don't - Difficulty
« on: February 15, 2012, 06:03:05 pm »

Guys i can see we are all talking about the new patch and how a lot of us think it is much harder.

I just wanted to say please don't send the wrong message to Toady because he will most likely be looking over us in these forums for what's going on.

If he see's how much some of us are stressing he may want to change the game to be easier. Adventure mode right now(for me at least)  is getting a lot closer to how hard i want the game to be.

If you disagree sure voice your opinion i'm just worried about sending Toady the wrong idea.
for (Dwarf * newDwarf in dwarfArray){
      [newDwarf cancelJob];
      [newDwarf Drink];
}

Interesting

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Please Don't - Difficulty
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 06:13:56 pm »

Toady, if you are reading this and care about what we think, modernize the way players interact with the game. Im talking about the UI.

Now, if you dont care about what we think, hear this: the ambushes frequency are unrealistic, I wonder what were you thinking when you decided to make it this way? But I guess it doesnt matter as well, because you dont care.

ff2

• Bay Watcher
  • The Occasional Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 06:16:35 pm »

And the werebeast frequency.

NinjaBoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 06:38:33 pm »

I'm loving how things are progressing! :)

But yeah, tweak the encounter rates a bit.  Too many animals/kobalds/bullies creating too much fun for some of us to handle!

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 06:41:25 pm »

Guys i can see we are all talking about the new patch and how a lot of us think it is much harder.

I just wanted to say please don't send the wrong message to Toady because he will most likely be looking over us in these forums for what's going on.

If he see's how much some of us are stressing he may want to change the game to be easier. Adventure mode right now(for me at least)  is getting a lot closer to how hard i want the game to be.

If you disagree sure voice your opinion i'm just worried about sending Toady the wrong idea.
bandits are stupid hard.  i dont mind other things being tough, but bandits (in my opinion) should only be hard in large groups....  a demigod adventurer and companions who outnumber the bandits should not be wiped out.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

dood_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 06:49:07 pm »

Toady has a pretty sound idea of where he wants to go, based off interviews. I wouldn't worry.
It seems very dwarven to use the hell itself as a garbage disposal. I can just see this isolated pile of goblin clothing, rotten food, and chunks of animals sitting there in a featureless plain, slowly cooking in the heat as demons pick at it.

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 07:33:13 pm »

Toady, if you are reading this and care about what we think, modernize the way players interact with the game. Im talking about the UI.

Now, if you dont care about what we think, hear this: the ambushes frequency are unrealistic, I wonder what were you thinking when you decided to make it this way? But I guess it doesnt matter as well, because you dont care.

As cool as it is to whine about it these days, I wouldn't worry about the UI too much. There's already been improvements to the way stacks work in this version, and the game is still in alpha. It'll get there eventually.

JohnieRWilkins

• Bay Watcher
  • @_@?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 07:42:49 pm »

Encounter rate is an immersion shattering level of high, but I think it's going to be wonky until we get to the army arc and have entities actually traveling around the map.

I think the real problem here is that demigods are too weak if anything, but as Toady stated, it's a temporary placeholder for a better system.

As of now, enjoy your roguelike with gratuitous sprinkles of fun. If you think this is difficult, there are plenty of other roguelikes you can try to get a new perspective on things.
- But honestly, if you think
If we could miniaturize things, we would have everybody wielding drawbridges and utterly atomizing

Sallen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 08:01:53 pm »

The only think I don't like is how archers and bowmen can kill the player instantly, randomly and regardless of the player character's skills, actions or armor.

It's like having

Code: [Select]
if(rand()%100 > 90)
{
    killPlayer();
}

every other frame.

While the lethality (is that a word?) of arrows is actually fun at times, I think there should be at least one way to be 100% protected against them, as there is for every challenge a game puts in front of the player. In short, difficulty should reside in achieving a solution to a problem, not in making a problem statistically insurmountable.

That turned out to be quite a rant.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2012, 08:05:31 pm »

DF's world is not safe. There are scary things hunting you at every turn, and entire regions of the map that will reanimate the dead. I don't think a few kobolds and bandits every dozen or so miles is out of the question. The solution is to play smart - kill ranged attackers first, run when you can, and fight when you must. Take advantage of the targeting system to disarm or ground foes first, especially if they have leather armor or better. Use the human shield factor - it's better to rush a bandit leader with them if that puts you behind them from the perspective of an archer. Ask about your surroundings to figure out if you're walking into an area with giant leopards. Instead of weapon skills dump points into dodging and shields. Etc.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Wirevix

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammered Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2012, 08:06:48 pm »

I was playing a demigod dragon adventurer.

I was shot in the skull by a random kobold and died.

It just seems a bit silly that a scrubby little kobold can slay a dragon in a single round all by his lonesome.  I didn't even have time for my firebreath to reach him.
In other news, the trees in my game can have invisible sex.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2012, 08:07:43 pm »

i for one am loving the new difficulty. i've lost 4 heros so far, and they were very satisfying deaths

plan your moves, and focus on disabling enemies rather than killing them. and above all else, have fun while losing.

EDIT: actually, i've ony lost 3, the fourth i retired once he was *disarmed*...

tyrspawn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2012, 08:33:35 pm »

I am all for difficult games (the learning curve and complexity is why i play DF), but the difficulty right now is game breaking. It also doesn't make sense. Bandits should not be able to (easily) kill demigods or trained professional soldiers. It really hampers the enjoyment you can have with adventure mode because there is so much stuff to see, and every second you are traveling there is a 10% chance of being encountered by instadeath. The bandits are stronger than mummies and other supernatural creatures.

There's also no precautions you can make to avoid being ambushed. You'd think setting up camp deep in a forest would make you relatively safe from an ambush, but no.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 08:38:16 pm by tyrspawn »
Chris Krause
Soundsense Mod Community Organizer
http://df.zweistein.cz/soundsense/

tyrspawn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2012, 08:35:02 pm »

Delete this double post.
Chris Krause
Soundsense Mod Community Organizer
http://df.zweistein.cz/soundsense/

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2012, 08:38:24 pm »

I'm just biding my time till runesmith updates.... Yes, I do cheat in adventure mod, but thats because I don't enjoy the prospect of grinding for hours to become a cripple.
I've modded in some cheat reactions(Addy Gear) if anyone wants em.
Note: An Addy breastplate won't stop a bronze arrow ???
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5