Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Please Don't - Difficulty  (Read 21510 times)

Kamamura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Please Don't - Difficulty
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2012, 08:49:20 pm »

Toady, if you are reading this, do something with the user interface, because it has become too easy to figure out and too many dolts are starting playing the game, and whine here about how the bandits are difficult, which is nonsense - bandits are supposed to be difficult, because otherwise they would be no bandits, but sissies.

Also, rack up the difficulty a notch. It's coming, but it's not there - I love how my adventurer has become delirious from thirst last time, because all his water in the water skin suddenly froze up, but he was still able to get some water by licking the ice. Next time, make his tongue freeze stuck to the ice, that will teach him to lick it in winter, stupid bastard!

The encounter frequency is fine, wilderness is often as densely populated as tents and caravans on Woodstock - you can't make a step without tripping over someone. That's how I like it.

So keep up the good work - and Don't give in to the WHINERS!!! So long...
The entire content consists of senseless murder, a pile of faceless naked women and zero regard for human life in general, all in the service of the protagonist's base impulses. It is clearly a cry for help from a neglected, self absorbed and disempowered juvenile badly in need of affectionate guidance. What a sad, sad display.

Sallen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2012, 08:55:28 pm »

[...]
Note: An Addy breastplate won't stop a bronze arrow ???

As long as you have skin (as opposed to a rock, metal or thick chitin shell) nothing will stop a bronze arrow.

EDIT:

Also, rack up the difficulty a notch. It's coming, but it's not there - I love how my adventurer has become delirious from thirst last time, because all his water in the water skin suddenly froze up, but he was still able to get some water by licking the ice. Next time, make his tongue freeze stuck to the ice, that will teach him to lick it in winter, stupid bastard!

You can melt the ice using a campfire and then you will be able to drink.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 08:57:04 pm by Sallen »

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok Cultist - Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2012, 09:00:06 pm »

Guys i can see we are all talking about the new patch and how a lot of us think it is much harder.

I just wanted to say please don't send the wrong message to Toady because he will most likely be looking over us in these forums for what's going on.

If he see's how much some of us are stressing he may want to change the game to be easier. Adventure mode right now(for me at least)  is getting a lot closer to how hard i want the game to be.

If you disagree sure voice your opinion i'm just worried about sending Toady the wrong idea.

I want You to look at Liberal Crime Squad. In Toady the Greats hands, if You interrogated someone, You could lock them in a dark room without food and water sleep deprived and restrained to a chair and make them watch videos after you torture them.
In the hands of its new upkeeper, You cant out lights, theres no food/water/sleep system, and theyre not hurt as easy.

Toady wont make it easier.

Now I suggest we make a new Thread: "I cant wait for more Mechanics to be added to the Game to make it Harder"
I Like To Think Of Myself As An Artist - I Create Masterpieces With My Tools Of Trade.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2012, 09:07:57 pm »

I think the message has been pretty clear, nobody's saying "it's too hard!" they're saying encounters are too frequent and bandits are too numerous.

The Grackle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2012, 09:43:29 pm »

If, in the past, you've ever used Runesmith to check creatures' stats, you'd have noticed that bandits had very low skills, even in their weapon of choice.  That doesn't really mesh with the idea that an untrained dwarven peasant can train to far higher levels with a season or two of sparring.  My guess is that bandits just got a slight skill boost that is very noticeable.

Also, "Demigod" is just the number of points your adventurer has for attributes. The RNG can make NPCs that are every bit as tough as you.  Really, you're playing as one fairly tough mortal without plot armor.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2012, 10:05:18 pm »

I think DF is still to easy. I think every few seconds one of your limbs should randomly fall off because why not.

dood_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2012, 10:56:12 pm »

That essentially happens when you go into an Evil Zone.

And then it comes alive and tries to strangle you.
It seems very dwarven to use the hell itself as a garbage disposal. I can just see this isolated pile of goblin clothing, rotten food, and chunks of animals sitting there in a featureless plain, slowly cooking in the heat as demons pick at it.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2012, 11:10:11 pm »

bandits are supposed to be difficult, because otherwise they would be no bandits, but sissies.
bandits are not supposed to be TOO difficult, otherwise there would be no bandits, they would overrun the towns and become the legitimate authorities, rather than outcasts and robbers.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2012, 12:18:17 am »

It's not the bandits, it's your equipment.  You used to start in full bronze armor, which was enough to brush off most weapons and basically all unarmed attacks (at least, from normal opponents.)  Now you don't.  That's the only thing causing the sudden difficulty spike.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2012, 12:23:35 am »

I like the current difficulty a LOT. Before, the game was far too easy for me.

[EDIT] However, I do think motor nerves should be a lot harder to hit. Nowadays, your best adventurer can be rendered useless because a child hugged your leg.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 12:26:08 am by Angel Of Death »
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2012, 12:43:23 am »

No, you wouldn't start in full bronze. You got a weapon and possibly a shield. No armor. It's not any loss of armor that's causing a spike.

Pie Q

• Bay Watcher
  • Peasent Adventurer, High Musicality
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2012, 12:44:28 am »

After playing through around 20 adventurers I have found the difficulty to be...staggering to say the least. Grinding my skills to Legendary+>5 helps but eventually a cheap shot will make you go down. Archers are not kind to me ( one adventurer was headshot'd 2 tiles out of the starting town) Boning knives and whips are still power drills and lightsabers respectively

Willpower is useless, I've had superhuman willpower and my adventurer always collapses from pain from broken bones
Observation doesn't seem to help me avoid ambushing from my experience

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2012, 01:54:32 am »

I've been wearing 4-5 shields at a time to combat the fact that projectiles are realistic. I like to think I have one in my left hand, one on each forearm, and one on my stomach and back as a sort of makeshift breastplate. As long as you go for the legs first you should be fine. I do miss having insane adventurers, each with their own quirks. Like the rabid dwarf that would strangle people till they passed out and then tear out their throats with his teeth.

Wacky things are still possible, but much like real life they're harder to accomplish (though possibly more effective in the long run. Kitten powered magma cannon anyone?) than just grabbing a weapon and a shield and fighting conventionally. That's why I'm feeling that the difficulty is right where it needs to be, barring bugs.
That said, the absurd frequency of encounters is obviously a bug. Since it absolutely cripples gameplay as much as it cripples our little avatars I'm fairly sure we can expect a fix in the next bugfix round.

Disclaimer: Everyone generates their own world and thus we all may have legitimate claims. While it is possible half of us have bandits train more in worldgen for some reason or another or be generated stronger, I can only speak to my personal experiences in the game.
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2012, 03:07:27 am »

Im at work so i can't check this, but wouldn't setting savagery in worldgen to low lower the bandit count?

As for me, i like the new difficulty. I played a peasant and had a great nerve-wrecking fight against two alligators and then i was ambushed by bandits they were only four one of them an archer. I dashed behind a group of trees to hide from the archer and killed all of his companions then i charged him and killed him with three arrows in my body. The tension was fantastic. Later i was exploring a tomb and was swarmed by at least five bandits. Overall it was a pretty realistic playthrough.

Cities_Burn

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2012, 05:40:44 am »

I don't really have a problem with the difficulty, I just think the game could use a little more balance at the moment. I'd like to have the chance to see a little more of the world before a goblin bowman gives me a new throat accessory and a few "speed holes". That being said, I can imagine it would be extremely hard to balance the game in an effective manner (at least for now anyway).
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5