Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Good RTS/FPS hybrids  (Read 1781 times)

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
Good RTS/FPS hybrids
« on: January 14, 2015, 02:03:31 pm »

I'm familiar with a few examples - heroes and generals, natural selection 2- but from my limited experience the first was unsatisfying and the latter is intimidating at first. Both suffer from limited maps, and not giving the foot-soldiers enough to care about when it comes to (dis)obeying the chain of command, establishing a personal role or interesting tactics.

The most promising thing approaching this I've seen recently is Due Process, which gives the team a minute to plan on (thus far) small random maps, with a dwindling pool of equipment in each round of a match. Nevertheless, there's no all seeing, advising eye in the game proper.

I'd much appreciate a game that ran with the idea for a campaign or RPG.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
Re: Good RTS/FPS hybrids
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 02:06:25 pm »

Has neither a campaign or RPG, but Allegience might be worth a look. It's a free old game in the style of dogfighting with spaceships.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015, 02:10:29 pm »

'bout the only RTS/FPS hybrid I've personally played and enjoyed were the battlezone games back during the N64 era. It's vaguely arguable how FPS-y they are but whatev'. They're also, obviously enough, kinda' old at this point.

I'm sure there's other ones out there, somewhere, but I haven't played any. Not terribly surprising considering if you're not running multiplayer it's a sincere pain in the hindquarters to make a UI et al that lets you do the RTS thing from a FPS or third-person perspective, especially without it being frustratingly clumsy.

E: Oh, and Sacrifice. More third-person-y but whatever, it was ballin'.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 02:12:28 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2015, 02:19:14 pm »

Battlezone 1 and 2.
Savage 1 and 2.

http://www.savage2.com/en/main.php
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2015, 03:20:17 pm »

Battlezone 1 and 2.
Savage 1 and 2.

http://www.savage2.com/en/main.php

Savage 2 in particular was freaking amazing during its heyday. A shame the developer dropped it like it's hot so they could make yet-another-MOBA.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2015, 04:04:20 pm »

Savage 2 in particular was freaking amazing during its heyday. A shame the developer dropped it like it's hot so they could make yet-another-MOBA.
A moba that's pretty much identical to DotA... but luckily for them they managed to push it out before DotA2 became a thing and the only real competition they had at the time was LoL and the classic DotA.
Aaand the MOBA marker is lousy with DotA clones that barely even add anything.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2015, 04:11:01 pm »

There was Urban Assault, you mass produced tons of tanks and aircraft and could take direct control of them to try to conquer sectors on a map while an AI (never played in MP) was doing the same.