Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Diggles: The Myth of Fenris (Restart)  (Read 32027 times)

jeremie_st

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Diggles: The Myth of Fenris (Restart)
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2013, 06:20:52 pm »

This game really deserves some recognition from gamers.
Don't be mad about bad jokes, it's made by Germans, we should be glad there is little-to-none farting content xD

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2013, 07:32:24 pm »

This game really deserves some recognition from gamers.
Don't be mad about bad jokes, it's made by Germans, we should be glad there is little-to-none farting content xD

I don't know, its two major flaws sort of stop it from being an easily recognisable great game
1) It is probably the slowest RTS ever created
2) The weird digging paradox that can easily punish you for looking for resources.

It certainly is a hidden gem of a game... but it isn't a lost treasure.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 08:39:54 pm by Neonivek »

jeremie_st

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2013, 12:32:43 pm »

OK, I actually was thinking about possibility of modding this problem. Do you think it is possible?
2) The weird digging paradox that can easily punish you for looking for resources.
I actually never heard of this. Care to explain?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2013, 12:34:48 pm »

Lets say your diggle knows about coal. When he digs up a location there is a chance to find coal and you pretty much explored everywhere.

Lets say you, after you found out about that... Discovered uranium. You will never find uranium because you can only discover materials you know about.

As long as you are aware of this it should be fine. It can be annoying though.

OK, I actually was thinking about possibility of modding this problem. Do you think it is possible?

No idea to be truthful.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 12:37:25 pm by Neonivek »

diggles

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2013, 05:11:12 pm »

I've won this game

would be easier if you just use a tent and campfire alone

do not open technologies that improve the quality of furniture, as you like opening Pandora's box
will make the game much harder to win

the wiggles more difficult to be satisfied their needs

it does not matter if you just open technology weapons and potions and technology to digging

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2013, 07:09:00 pm »

its not, the game resources and most of the scripts are stored in databases that frankly i cant break.

faerymage

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2015, 02:20:50 pm »

so sad to see this topic has seemed to die out, had a nostalgic moment lastnight and decided to look up the game again to see if there had been any progress made into making it work more fluidly on win7, or possibly win8.

Anyone still play around with this?

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2015, 04:27:16 pm »

I got it to work fairly well on Windows 7. I got the English version patched it with the German patches and then used regedit to adjust the settings. (Game speed, framerate, resolution,...)

Loading and saving the game via console seems to prevent the registry resetting itself. Some people seem to have trouble getting the console to open even after adding -console to the link. If ' doesn't work, try Scroll Lock. That one works for me. (What does that button normally do, anyways?)

I vaguely recall there being some sort of digging strategy that prevents caves from spawning. (They're spawned dynamically as you explore, making sure you run into quests and stuff)
Anyone got any tips on making sure I have room to expand?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2015, 05:52:45 pm »

Oh wow, how did I never know about this thread?  Yeah, I've had quite a number of good hours plugged into Diggles.  Never got very far, but holy fuck could that game take its sweet time.

And by "very far", I mean that I don't think I ever got past the first campaign/area you start off in after the tutorial.  Or hell, even halfway through it.

I've beaten the demo before though!  Only took me a couple days.

The idea of a fixer-upper project (particularly one in English) for this game makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.  Never managed to find much info on the game as far as strategies or sequence go, but I did somehow manage to have fun with it just the same.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2015, 06:53:04 pm »

It is hard for me because this game DEFINATELY makes the list of my: Top ten favorite games that I'd never recommend to anyone.

I definitely think this game was made for single player to admit. Just something about going deeper and deeper into the mountain with the same group that somehow works.

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 14, 2015, 06:15:57 pm »

I managed to get to the second area, although now I'm stuck with a lack of metalworking skill. (My addiction to putting the game on high speed doesn't help with micromanaging skills)

The trick to preventing cave spawns is to dig tunnels only 2 blocks at a time. Generated caves come with skill books and stone/ore deposits though, so it might be interesting to dig longer tunnels off to one side. Sideways tunnels tend to spawn caves and tunnel systems with enemies, downwards tunnels tend to spawn quest caves.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 14, 2015, 07:23:37 pm »

Huh.  Never knew that, I thought things were more or less predefined and you were just supposed to bump into them.

In the first area and any sandbox games in that setting, I always ran into a bit of a dead end techwise because I couldn't find ANY metal ores...  And then I ran across someone stating that only skilled miners will drop metals and whatnot when digging, and unskilled workers will just give you oh so much rock...  Anybody know more about this?

Also I developed something of an obsession with food...  After losing a few runs to "hunger spirals" (where Diggles would get hungry because there wasn't food available, get mad because they were hungry, strike because they were mad, and then refuse to work on making more food because they were on strike) I got to the point where every time I ran across a new cave with mushrooms, I'd immediately plop down a campfire and set it to infinite production of grilled shrooms.  I always made sure to have an obscene excess of comestibles lying around...  Took up a lot of labor, but like hell I was gonna have anyone go hungry!

Aaaaand then there's that thing about the amazing shrinking storehouses...  Quite handy being able to pack an entire village into one box.

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 14, 2015, 07:38:47 pm »

The first area doesn't seem to have any iron ore at all. Most I got was a piece of gold ore from a troll.  Iron ore started appearing as soon as I reached the second area, but only sporadically. I think you're supposed to find deposits of it in the random caves.

I did find iron ore in the 'forest' themed skirmish maps though.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]