Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Making civs use bone weapons?  (Read 2121 times)

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Making civs use bone weapons?
« on: August 02, 2019, 11:30:37 pm »

If anyone knows any way to get civs to use bone weapons, please let me know. The one solution I am aware of is to create a fake inorganic bone material and give civs a reaction to spawn that. However, I don't like this solution because it leads to boring things like "bone sword" instead of cool things like "dragon bone sword", ie it doesn't tell you what creature it came from.
I make huge and comprehensive overhaul mods, consider supporting me on Patreon so I can do this full-time:
https://www.patreon.com/themodsmith
Have questions? Need to report bugs? Post them in the discord:  https://discord.gg/dGzGr5svS2

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
Re: Making civs use bone weapons?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2019, 04:50:21 am »

I tried making "dog bone" and inorganic and then flipping the material on the tissue (removing the material from dog as well) and Arena mode was fine with making Dog Bone weapons. But in game I couldn't embark with it. I think the game is just hardcoded not to use creature materials as weapons, sadly.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2019, 08:42:23 am »

You could go all out on the faking, making Bone_Dragon, Bone_Dog, Bone_Troll, etc. It still wouldn't be from the actual creatures, but at least the Invaders would bring gear with cool names.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2019, 09:00:50 am »

I believe you can make bone weapons out of bone.

If I remember correctly it is:

[REAGENT:A:1:CORPSEPIECE:NONE:NONE:NONE][ANY_BONE_MATERIAL]

However, the weapon will still be considered raw bone after the reaction, so dwarves will continue to use it in the same reaction (and any other reaction that requires bone) and the weapon won't be stockpiled with other weapons (as it is considered refuse). You could make custom weapons that can only be made with this reaction if you want to see if non-player civs will use it.

EternalCaveDragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2019, 07:03:41 pm »

Maybe make a reaction that turns bones into bars made from the same material as the bone used? That way any resulting weapons will be called by the correct names, and they will be made from items the game recognizes as weapon building materials, I think.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2019, 08:47:33 am »

If it's in fort mode for your own civ, you can just make them from bone, no problem.

I think he meant civs in world gen, which is a bit different and only works with fake metals.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Wannabehero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2019, 09:32:13 am »

Fake (bone) metals and fake (bone) woods will show up in invader's lists, although the wood is only if you add the wood equipment token to the entity.  The benefit of fake wood is it can't be melted down at a smelter.

MachoNacho

• Bay Watcher
  • pug
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2019, 10:02:25 am »

Fake (bone) metals and fake (bone) woods will show up in invader's lists, although the wood is only if you add the wood equipment token to the entity.  The benefit of fake wood is it can't be melted down at a smelter.
Better yet, make a fake bone material that is created via a reaction from regular bone.
pug

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2019, 02:45:51 pm »

Yup, reaction from raw bone to treated bone, and the treated bone lacking the [BONE] tag so the bone weapons will not be used as bone material ingredients.

I would go with fake bone that is tagged as metal-class, [IS_METAL] , and ignore its meltability. I don't trust enough the tag that makes civ use wooden weapons.

Perhaps use lye or soap in the bone treating reaction. http://blog.stuckwithpins.com/2013/07/5-simple-steps-for-processing-and-cleaning-bones.html

Code: [Select]
[MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:TREATED_TOUGHBONE_TEMPLATE]
[STATE_COLOR:ALL_SOLID:WHITE]
[STATE_NAME:SOLID:tough bone]
[STATE_ADJ:SOLID:tough bone]
[STATE_NAME:POWDER:tough bone meal]
[STATE_ADJ:POWDER:tough bone meal]
[STATE_COLOR:LIQUID:WHITE]
[STATE_NAME:LIQUID:melted bone meal]
[STATE_ADJ:LIQUID:melted bone meal]
[STATE_COLOR:GAS:WHITE]
[STATE_NAME:GAS:boiling bone meal]
[STATE_ADJ:GAS:boiling bone meal]
[DISPLAY_COLOR:7:0:1]
[MATERIAL_VALUE:2]
[SPEC_HEAT:1000]
[IGNITE_POINT:10508]
[MELTING_POINT:NONE]
[BOILING_POINT:NONE]
[HEATDAM_POINT:10250]
[COLDDAM_POINT:9900]
[MAT_FIXED_TEMP:NONE]
[SOLID_DENSITY:800]
[LIQUID_DENSITY:NONE]
[MOLAR_MASS:NONE]
[IMPACT_YIELD:400000]
[IMPACT_FRACTURE:400000]
[IMPACT_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:400] --4x
[COMPRESSIVE_YIELD:400000]
[COMPRESSIVE_FRACTURE:400000]
[COMPRESSIVE_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:400] --4x
[TENSILE_YIELD:225000]
[TENSILE_FRACTURE:260000]
[TENSILE_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:400] --4x
[TORSION_YIELD:225000]
[TORSION_FRACTURE:260000]
[TORSION_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:400] --4x
[SHEAR_YIELD:225000]
[SHEAR_FRACTURE:260000]
[SHEAR_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:400]
[BENDING_YIELD:225000]
[BENDING_FRACTURE:260000]
[BENDING_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:400]
[MAX_EDGE:2300] custom
[ABSORPTION:100]
[IMPLIES_ANIMAL_KILL]
[IS_METAL] note
[ITEMS_HARD]
[ITEMS_BARRED]
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 02:51:43 pm by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

DerMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2019, 10:44:54 am »

You can modify materials directly in creature code. Like troll blood have its color.