Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress - Large Address Aware (Or, let DF use up to 4GB of RAM!)  (Read 45613 times)

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress - Large Address Aware (Or, let DF use up to 4GB of RAM!)
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2012, 04:32:06 am »

DF could be partly multithreaded with fork-join or task pool methods. Each frame is does some calculations: temperature, weather, fluid movements, pathfinding, creature movements, and so on. Some of these can be partitioned, done in parallel, and finished before moving to the next phase. I cannot tell anything about effort / speedup tough. When I played with multithreaded matrix computations the speedup I got was small.
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

Kalithor123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2012, 07:42:26 am »

I tested a similiar program some time ago:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=88414.msg2420067#msg2420067

And there was a patch program for fallout as well.

dirty foot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2012, 02:06:23 am »

I am not experiencing any issues with RAM during world gen, as previously predicted. The issue seems entirely processor-related. At any given time during world gen, I am max on one of my cores.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2012, 11:26:41 am »

I am not experiencing any issues with RAM during world gen, as previously predicted. The issue seems entirely processor-related. At any given time during world gen, I am max on one of my cores.
That's not what the problem with RAM is.

Everything has to get stored in the RAM.  If you have a large world or a long history, especially with the new information the .34 releases store, you can run into the 2 GB virtual limit quite easily, which crashes you out.  Hence, the large address aware flag to allow it to use all of the addresses its 32-bit executable can; 4 GB.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2012, 08:14:33 pm »

I was experiencing reliably worldgen crashes on worlds with uncapped civ/sites at as little as 150 years of history. RAM usage was hitting the 2GB limit on my 8GB, x64 system.

I patched my exe using the ever-trusty ntcore.com memory patcher, and now worldgen successfully completes. It used about 2.1GB to finally get through Finalizing Sites without pooping itself.

For anyone suffering worldgen crashes, this is the answer you may be looking for. Patch your exe, and enjoy!
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Does this version works with the 0.34.10 ?

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile

No, but the methodology will work to create one for 34.10.  I've done it, myself, and it works fine.

No, I won't upload it .  It's that simple of a hack.

Go download CFF Explorer and search google for "Enable LAA" for instructions.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

BradUffner

• Bay Watcher
  • BradUffner has begun a mysterious construction.
    • View Profile
    • Gump Studio

DF could be partly multithreaded with fork-join or task pool methods. Each frame is does some calculations: temperature, weather, fluid movements, pathfinding, creature movements, and so on. Some of these can be partitioned, done in parallel, and finished before moving to the next phase. I cannot tell anything about effort / speedup tough. When I played with multithreaded matrix computations the speedup I got was small.

I think one of the best gains would be to split the computations of things like temperature in to map quadrants (or halves, or whatever).  Basically the map gets split in to the same number of pieces as the number of cores, and each core updates it's "slice". Then there is a quick reconciliation along the seams to join them together.  Each core is working on different parts of the same task instead of completely separate tasks.  That's one of the things that miltithreading would shine at.
Raw Explorer - Easily navigate and edit your raw files via GUI! - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103360.0
Tile Genie - Merge multiple tilesets - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=77724.0

Argelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Will the LAA be of help on win 7 32 bits system with 4 Gb ? In fortress mode ?
Inside are 2 x 2 Gb RAM
then the task manager annonce 3325 Mo total physical memory
1115 Mo cache*
available* 2279 Mo
free* 1174 Mo
I know DF to go up to 1.5 Gb, so non use at all ?

Info : after DF, sound sense, therapist & ssense kicked in:
926 Mo cache
available 929 Mo
free 3 Mo

* how these 3 add up I can figure it out, but 3325 versus 4000 is due to the graphic card memory I think.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 10:31:37 am by Argelle »
Killing dwarves is so much fun. Heck, even the dwarves agree, else they wouldn't kill themselves so often.

Tierre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So the question - LAA helps 32bit win XP or win 7. Will it help x64 versions of OS?

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It won't help if you're not actually running into the 2GB limit. If you are, then it will help on all systems.

Tierre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well my DF actually crashes on saving:( But saves are made before crash, thanks god:) But i've seen it crash 4 times in the last month while saving - i guess it is then it runs into 2gb limit.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There's no real penalty for applying the patch. If it fixes the problem, great. If it doesn't, you can now have larger embarks, which is good too.

vault13dweller

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2013, 06:49:17 pm »

Any chance this will be updated to work with the latest version of Dwarf Fortress that Masterwork runs on? (34.11)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2013, 06:57:38 pm »

It doesn't need to be.

Also, Masterwork very rarely does not run on the absolute latest version of DF. Only when the newest version is, well, new--very new, I might add. Mods are usually very easy to update. .28 to .31 was probably the biggest change for modders.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 06:59:11 pm by Putnam »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4