Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress - Large Address Aware (Or, let DF use up to 4GB of RAM!)  (Read 45821 times)

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress - Large Address Aware (Or, let DF use up to 4GB of RAM!)
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2013, 07:49:50 pm »

DF could be partly multithreaded with fork-join or task pool methods. Each frame is does some calculations: temperature, weather, fluid movements, pathfinding, creature movements, and so on. Some of these can be partitioned, done in parallel, and finished before moving to the next phase. I cannot tell anything about effort / speedup tough. When I played with multithreaded matrix computations the speedup I got was small.

I've noticed that the Dwarf Fortress decompilation thing that's going on has made a considerable amount of progress. I'm wondering whether it might be possible to produce a hack to allow multithreading to at least a small degree? I am aware the amount of effort may be just too big for people to handle.

Same question goes for 64bit.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

vault13dweller

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2013, 11:08:57 pm »

But when I use either of the Large Address Aware .exe's with Masterwork Dwarf Fortress, the game says that the index file is missing even though it's clearly there.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2013, 11:42:59 pm »

Which index file?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2013, 01:08:27 am »

Give a screenshot of the entire folder dwarf fortress's EXE is in.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2013, 01:37:16 am »

DF could be partly multithreaded with fork-join or task pool methods. Each frame is does some calculations: temperature, weather, fluid movements, pathfinding, creature movements, and so on. Some of these can be partitioned, done in parallel, and finished before moving to the next phase. I cannot tell anything about effort / speedup tough. When I played with multithreaded matrix computations the speedup I got was small.

I've noticed that the Dwarf Fortress decompilation thing that's going on has made a considerable amount of progress. I'm wondering whether it might be possible to produce a hack to allow multithreading to at least a small degree? I am aware the amount of effort may be just too big for people to handle.

Same question goes for 64bit.

64-bit might sort of be doable, but would still be an enormous undertaking.  Theoretically you could disassemble DF and replace any memory accessing instructions to use 64-bit addressing instead of 32-bit, and modify it so that pointer calculations use 8-byte pointers instead of 4-byte.  Then you'd need to modify any allocations to use 8-byte pointers, and any code that accessed any data structures would need to account for increased pointer sizes...  okay, probably not practical at all.  Unless you were able to decompile DF into higher level code that could recompile it in 64-bit, but you'd probably run into big problems with any libraries which I imagine is why Toady hasn't done this already.

Multithreading would probably be out of the question even if you could decompile it.  It's almost certainly doable, but by the time you figured out how to get it working with any speedup the next version of DF would likely be on the horizon and invalidate all of your work.  Race conditions are not a thing to be trifled with when debugging multithreaded code, and that's with proper, not decompiled, code.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Ravendarksky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • DFMon.exe - Get rid of DF SPAM
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2013, 04:54:04 am »

Any plans to update this for the latest version/the new version when it comes out?

Also if there is a copy of this posted somewhere else for the latest version I couldn't find it :(

Lucelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2013, 11:38:15 am »

Would there be any reason to do this if you have 1GB RAM but 5GB virtual memory?
Lucelle Weapons and Armour adds in tons of historical weapons and armour from a variety of different cultures

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2013, 01:02:20 pm »

Would there be any reason to do this if you have 1GB RAM but 5GB virtual memory?

No.

Also

1GB RAM
holy shit

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2013, 03:42:16 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

whitehorn799

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2014, 11:38:57 pm »

Is there any chance to get this updated for .40?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2014, 11:45:19 pm »

Shouldn't have to be, I'm pretty sure.

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2014, 02:04:07 am »

Yeah, it's not like this whole LLA hooplah was invented for the pleasure of Dwarf Fortress dorks. It's a switch you flip in the executable to make it do a thing different and it's so tricky to do manually that someone saw fit to write a small app to streamline the whole thing.

whitehorn799

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2014, 06:02:08 am »

Thanks for the fast reply.

I tried to run this, but I got the same error as the poster a few posts back. Bad init file.

Here's a screen of my directory. https://www.dropbox.com/s/9sdjyh1qc5j05lo/error.jpg

Any help would be appreciated. I have 16gbs of RAM, being able to use some more of it would be awesome.

edit: The "data" folder is at the top. I couldn't get it all to fit in one shot, so that's the only file/folder not displayed.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 06:04:30 am by whitehorn799 »

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2014, 12:16:15 pm »

I seem to recall Toady stating somewhere that an experimental 64-bit build was in the cards soon.  That was on the same level as finishing plants and trees and adding job priorities, so it hopefully wouldn't be a year or two away in a major release.
Through pain, I find wisdom.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4