Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress - Large Address Aware (Or, let DF use up to 4GB of RAM!)  (Read 45611 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress - Large Address Aware (Or, let DF use up to 4GB of RAM!)
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2014, 12:16:56 am »

I seem to recall Toady stating somewhere that an experimental 64-bit build was in the cards soon.  That was on the same level as finishing plants and trees and adding job priorities, so it hopefully wouldn't be a year or two away in a major release.
Yeah, he mentioned it in the last monthly summary update IIRC.

Also I'd just like to point this out for anyone who is unaware, but this isn't needed on Mac or Linux versions of DF, since they have never suffered from the 2 GB limit that microsoft imposed long ago, and as such will use more than 2 GB just fine with the normal version.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

whitehorn799

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2014, 02:47:00 am »

Thank you all for the information. I appreciate all the help!

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2014, 12:09:27 pm »

IIRC, Toady One said that 64 bit version is one of a list of things he considers doing soon, not that he is doing it now or even that he is committed to doing it.
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 23, 2014, 02:36:16 pm »

Does this still works with the current version?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 23, 2014, 02:55:40 pm »

This will (AFAIK) work with ANY 32 bit Windows program, so yes.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

nuget102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 23, 2014, 08:43:33 pm »

If anyone is having trouble with the download (that is now super old) you guys can try this instead: http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/large-address-aware.112556/
The fort where filth melts your skin! (updated 4/9/15)

Curiosity killed the cat.
Satisfaction brought it back.

Korgoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 18, 2019, 06:44:57 pm »

hello! thnak you for your effort on this! do you know how can I use or of it is possible to use this on the Old genesis mod made by Deon and continued by TomiTapio?
Because a just dropped both files, the SDL and the Legacy exe on the folder, both in seperate ocasions, and they dont work :(

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2019, 10:28:44 pm »

hello! thnak you for your effort on this! do you know how can I use or of it is possible to use this on the Old genesis mod made by Deon and continued by TomiTapio?
Because a just dropped both files, the SDL and the Legacy exe on the folder, both in seperate ocasions, and they dont work :(
That download is for DF v34.04, OldGenesis is now in DF v44.12 which has major changes in the code.
I suggest you use the link from the post above yours
http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/large-address-aware.112556/
to get the program that made the download in the first place. Grab the first or second attachment depending on whether your computer has .NET Framework v4.5(then grab the second) or not(get the first). Use the program as directed.

However successfully making DF use more RAM probably won't help with slowdown because most of it is caused by CPU limitations.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 10:33:10 pm by ArKFallen »
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]