Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fresh Corpses reanimate faster than older ones?  (Read 3484 times)

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile
Fresh Corpses reanimate faster than older ones?
« on: February 16, 2012, 03:35:36 am »

As the title says.  I had a leopard wander near my soldiers (Mr. D included) and was promptly slaughtered.  Not a few days later it came back to life, and was promptly killed by Mr. D.  Now, I have a lot of reanimatable corpses laying about, half of which are dwarves.  Most of them are a few months old now, and they take longer to reanimate than that.  The first zombies that i've encountered all but don't reanimate anymore, except rarely.

It seems that the newer the corpse, the faster it reanimates.  Also, the 'decay' timer seems to run when it is dead, and as it goes on, the zombie reanimates less and less.  Now, I haven't had anything become skeletal yet, so perhaps they'll reanimate more again as they become skeletons, so I'll be expecting skeletal dwarves eventually.

Anyone else notice this, or is it my imagination?
Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Fresh Corpses reanimate faster than older ones?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 03:48:10 am »

My first exploit into terrifying biomes gave me a regular type - no raisings, mists, zombies, nothing fun.  I'll need to toy a bit more to get a good location and a good foundation.  With how things are right now, making any zombie science will be done hard and rough.  You can't just waltz in and do zombie.  It takes some effort to get your expedition entrenched and time to become science-ready.

I love it.  A chance to be a true pioneer!

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 03:56:07 am »

Its certainly a challenge.. I can just imagine the Fortress Defense mod in an evil biome that reanimates stuff.  Zombie/Skeletal steel-clad war elephants anyone? O.O
Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 04:23:28 am »

I think I'll be undertaking my own attempt at unfair animals.  There's a number of new tags and ideas that can make things positively monstrous.  Things are scary now, but given a few days we'll have developed a method to fit stable forts into the most evil of locations.  We'll need some new megabeasts to really instill terror in the players once again.  Kick 'em while they're still recovering.  Just got a handle on deadly rain?  Now deal with a 200 foot tall destroyer of worlds.

Duntada Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 04:54:02 am »

A destroyer of world that reanimates every month.
Girlinhat: The biggest issue seems to be size.  A 1x1 room would allow for maximum child desecration.

Carnes

• Bay Watcher
  • Near a good old-time canteen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 07:07:45 am »

It's possible but i also think biome might play into it.  I had a crab corpse (undead) placed in a refuse pile on the non-sinister side of the map.  Nothing happened for close to a season.  Relocated the refuse pile closer to the fort and in sinister territory.  The crab reanimated within a minute.  Killed it and then he came back within a few minutes (including a chopped off leg).  Promptly decided it was about to get out of hand and built an atom smasher next to the refuse pile with a garbage dump under it.

Dead things reanimate very quickly.  If you don't atom-smash immediately then you'll need guards nearby to keep things under control.  If you butcher an animal and your dwarves are too busy to haul the hair and junk to the refuse pile.. you'll have trouble in the fort very quickly, haha.

Perhaps the !!SCIENCE!! would be to butcher two animals at the same time in different biome sections of the map.  Forbid the hair/skin/whatever and see what happens.
You call that breaking my spine?! You Forgotten Beast ladies wouldn't know how to break a spine if-
SNAP
AUGHHH! MY SPINE!

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 07:57:34 am »

I've had corpses reanimate in adventure mode too - this largely means the reanimation timer is based on ticks not absolute time. Furthermore, they didn't reanimate in the order I killed them so this might be a random factor.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 07:58:42 am »

I do believe science can be done on this... Once the bugs are ironed out :P

lemmily

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BatFinchBears
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 10:14:52 am »

has anyone tried dumping corpses/refuse into water? I had a dead body in a river that didn't get reanimated, worth a thought?
I make furry things - BatFinch Bears

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2012, 11:21:03 am »

has anyone tried dumping corpses/refuse into water? I had a dead body in a river that didn't get reanimated, worth a thought?
Corpses still reanimate in water for me... Maybe you should pasture a cat outside the pond and see what happens? :D

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2012, 11:42:12 am »

Are you on two biomes? It's possible that only one of them will reanimate corpses. That's really convenient because if you set your refuse pile to be in that biome you won't have to worry about it.