Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Anyone able to use archery targets this version?  (Read 11247 times)

Sludge Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Anyone able to use archery targets this version?
« on: February 16, 2012, 04:30:43 am »

I've tried everything I know to do, even reembarking a few times with nothing but seven dwarves with copper crossbows and quivers, but I can't make anyone use archery targets. They are marked active, and their schedule is set to train with a minimum of five dwarves. They are set to train with wooden bolts. They are set to train on that particular archery range. They pick up all of their equipment, including filling their quivers with wooden arrows. Yet all they want to do is either individual training at their barracks, or wander around the fortress with "No activity". Any ideas?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone able to use archery targets this version?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 04:32:12 am »

Check your direction and your area?  They need enough room to shoot and they need to be able to stand at the shooting side.

Nimrod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 04:39:24 am »

Check your direction and your area?  They need enough room to shoot and they need to be able to stand at the shooting side.

I got the same problem.
Archery shooting range is set up just as in the last version (used in 20+ forts) - Dwarves got all equipment
Still no shooting.

Seems broken...
---=== Inveniam Viam Aut Faciam ===---

pavlov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 04:52:08 am »

Same
This animal is waiting for conflict.
Ready for slaughter? (Y)

roughedge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 06:06:53 am »

I too have archery range problem but since I have a chronic giant mosquito problem on the surface where I trade, I instead covered a few iron plated shooters all in iron (heavy cop dwarves). I think live shooting give more experience but not sure. Also thinking about other way like i just started war with elves by testing my crossbows on them and also some weird hamsterman WTF. My dwarves are getting scared and some weird personalities are showing up too so berserkers will come for sure so they are also target practice. I got cages too so Im planning to have a shooting range with fortification and fresh booze. Soon the soil layer will be completely mined and I will breach the cavern layers to get all woods types so I can get practice ammos a lot.

Sludge Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 07:18:02 am »

I submitted a bug report on this issue. I also created an archery training testbed- it includes two archery targets, a barracks, seven quivers, seven copper crossbows, and several hundred wooden and copper bolts. All that is left is setting up the military. If anyone can get the dwarves to train on archery targets, please post how you did it! The save is here: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=5533

Carnes

• Bay Watcher
  • Near a good old-time canteen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 07:26:27 am »

My marksdwarves only shoot at archery targets in their off-time.  Haven't tried it yet in this new version though (barely surviving as is!). 
You call that breaking my spine?! You Forgotten Beast ladies wouldn't know how to break a spine if-
SNAP
AUGHHH! MY SPINE!

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 07:56:05 am »

Yep, confirming I can't get marksdwarves to shoot at archery targets in this new version, using Sludge Man's testbed save and after removing the dump order on the archery targets. I can get them to train and give crossbow demonstrations even and they'll happily go shoot stuff when I give a kill order, but they won't use the archery targets. Given my DF2010 forts essentially ran on having all my haulers shoot at archery targets in their off-time, I'm quite confident the issue is in the latest version and not me. The soldiers even had moments when their job was "Soldier (no activity)" which means they wanted to use an archery range but just couldn't find a suitable one.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 07:57:34 am »

You sure they're not working? Archery targets were notoriously unfriendly to all who wanted to use them in DF2010 as well

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2012, 08:02:14 am »

You sure they're not working? Archery targets were notoriously unfriendly to all who wanted to use them in DF2010 as well
Like I said, my DF2010 forts entirely depended upon mass archery for defence. I'd build halls of 60+ archery targets and try to balance the number of bolts produced to keep up with how many were used up for practice, let alone for live combat. I'm the one who found the patrol method of getting marksdwarves to automatically reload once they use up their quiver.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Sludge Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2012, 08:14:55 am »

Yep, confirming I can't get marksdwarves to shoot at archery targets in this new version, using Sludge Man's testbed save and after removing the dump order on the archery targets.

Oops, thanks for pointing that out, I fixed it and updated the save. I don't think it makes a difference either way, the armor stand also had a dump order and they happily trained there.

Carnes

• Bay Watcher
  • Near a good old-time canteen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2012, 09:58:58 am »

Yeah, tried your save.  Rebuilt the ranges and did everything i could think of.  It's broke :(
You call that breaking my spine?! You Forgotten Beast ladies wouldn't know how to break a spine if-
SNAP
AUGHHH! MY SPINE!

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2012, 02:13:44 pm »

Same.  Tried the usual stuff; no go.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2012, 10:06:48 pm »

Oh thank goodness I found this thread before creating a new one.  Yeah, archer training is no-go, even after checking the standard things: Yes they have all equipment, yes they are wearing quivers, they have wooden arrows in their ammunition manifest and they have them in said quiver, the targets are set up in the correct direction, and the archery target 'room' is marked for training.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!