Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Imprisoned Vampire Elected Mayor  (Read 4729 times)

Relee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Imprisoned Vampire Elected Mayor
« on: February 23, 2012, 03:53:48 am »

So I was playing Dwarf Fortress yesterday and things were going along interestingly. I had my first Vampire in the fort, and upon discovery I locked them up in my dwarven prison. The murder sentence was only around 165 days, so that's kind of short, but life goes on.

The vampire had been in the prison for a few seasons and I was playing along. I got a note that a mandate had ended, and when I went to the noble page to see what was up, I noticed the dwarves had elected a new mayor.

The Vampire, still in prison, had been elected mayor.

This isn't terribly surprising; the Vampire's social skills are almost legendary while most of my fort barely even has social skills. I'm not terribly sure what to do about it, though. The Vampire was released at the end of their prison sentence, killed someone, and I put them right back in prison. Soon after that I assigned a new Hammerer, but it seems that once a sentence is given you can't change it. I guess I have to wait untill they're released and kill again. ^.^;;

But gosh, how can this even happen? High social skills or not, the vampire was isolated in the prison, only seeing dwarves that brought her water to drink. Not to mention she was a convicted murderer! You'd think that would keep you out of the election pool.

Anyways when I realized what had happened I laughed for a whole minute, so I thought everyone else would like to hear about it. Crazy, huh? I already submitted it to that mantis bug report thing. Hopefully this is a bug, and not a feature; I don't know if a mayor can do their duties in prison!
- Relee the Squirrel --

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Imprisoned Vampire Elected Mayor
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 03:56:37 am »

You can always wall up the prison after he is in it.
you can use him to keep your fortress standing when all dies.
And atm there is a bug that makes hammerers only give mild hammering to vampires, instead of death sentence.
also, it is known to happen that vampires get elected even tough they are in prison.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 04:00:22 am »

Your dwarves are simply impressed of the ideas the vampire has regarding keeping up a stable fortress with little to no contact to outside, so their shenanigans will never spread beyond the site and they'll always have a supply of blood available.

CaptainBadwheel

• Bay Watcher
  • Either a Doomsday Device or an Ice Cream maker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 04:00:58 am »

I have a vampire mayor who was sentenced to over 3 years. I locked the door to her cell and only let in the liaison. Vampires can't starve or die of thirst it seems, and when their imprisoned they can't talk to the liaisons so by the time her sentence is up I expect to have quite a que built up.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 06:54:08 am »

I just walled my vampire in completely. She's not chained or caged, just walled in. As such she can't get out, and can't eat people.

If she got elected mayor, I would just satisfy her mandates until her term ends. Personally though, I am contemplating a little science.

It is a known fact that cats latch on to the nearest dwarf when they decide to activate the mind control beam. If I place a kittenfall over her ubliette, say 1 zlevel up, then the kittens that fall in will survive.  If I build her ubliette in the most remote part of the map where nobody else ever goes, all the kitties will mindcontrol her. As they catsplode in the tiny, confined space of the ubliette, it will turn into a danger room of angry kitties.  When the kitties kill each other, the trapped vampire will have bad thoughts. It is then just a countdown until berzerk status.

The danger room training will have made her a legendary raw recruit, on top of her supernatural resistances. Releasing her into the HFS should be quite entertaining.

h0lx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 06:57:27 am »

Haha, my dwarfe keep electing my vampire as well, guess I have another use for him besides restraining him into a burrow to put useless dwarves in with. Just make his burrow a throne, dining and bedroom.

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
  • You might find it, whatever it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 07:05:21 am »

The danger room training will have made her a legendary raw recruit, on top of her supernatural resistances. Releasing her into the HFS should be quite entertaining.

Unfortunately, Vampires can't learn any new skills, nor improve the ones they have after they've become cursed. It had me in turmoil for a full hour and a half.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 07:19:08 am »

Unfortunately, Vampires can't learn any new skills, nor improve the ones they have after they've become cursed. It had me in turmoil for a full hour and a half.
They CAN learn new skills, they just cant train their attributes (strenght, agility, etc)

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
  • You might find it, whatever it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 07:23:21 am »

They CAN learn new skills, they just cant train their attributes (strenght, agility, etc)
Really?! if thats true you just made my day.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2012, 07:54:31 am »

Well, if the examples are correct, they only add these tags:
NO_PHYS_ATT_GAIN and NO_PHYS_ATT_RUST
so thats PHYS ATT, wich probably is PHYSical Attributes.
they wont become stronger, they wont become weaker, i guess, the wiki only got ? as effect, but if logic is applied, they should be able to level their skills.

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2012, 11:54:13 am »

Well, if the examples are correct, they only add these tags:
NO_PHYS_ATT_GAIN and NO_PHYS_ATT_RUST
so thats PHYS ATT, wich probably is PHYSical Attributes.
they wont become stronger, they wont become weaker, i guess, the wiki only got ? as effect, but if logic is applied, they should be able to level their skills.

Right, so they can become more skilled (legendary) at something, but danger room training won't improve their attributes.
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2012, 11:59:41 am »

This appears to be the general agreement.  Vampires will not become stronger, but they will become axelords.  If you're going to intentionally convert a soldier into a vampire, this is best done by setting them on a dry screw pump for a few years to gain great stats, THEN convert them.