Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Girly Zombie Science  (Read 21570 times)

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Girly Zombie Science
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2012, 11:31:59 am »

First of all, do we understand how biomes work under these circumstances? If you have part sinister, and part normal, and a zombie crosses the boundary and dies, does it reanimate? Does everything within a starting embark zone of a sinister area reanimate (that is, if you start with even a single tile of sinister, does it affect the whole area)? These answers may be floating around already, but this is the place to contain them, o Girlinhat.

Does the reanimation timer reset for body parts? If you hack off a kitten tooth, does it have the same timer as the kitten, or less, or if the kitten is already a zombie and has died a few times, does the timer RESET since the tooth is a "new" entity?
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2012, 11:33:41 am »

I don't think good/neutral biomes would suck the animating energy out of the undead without a necromancer present to sustain them...winsome if it did.
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2012, 11:36:12 am »

First of all, do we understand how biomes work under these circumstances? If you have part sinister, and part normal, and a zombie crosses the boundary and dies, does it reanimate? Does everything within a starting embark zone of a sinister area reanimate (that is, if you start with even a single tile of sinister, does it affect the whole area)? These answers may be floating around already, but this is the place to contain them, o Girlinhat.

Does the reanimation timer reset for body parts? If you hack off a kitten tooth, does it have the same timer as the kitten, or less, or if the kitten is already a zombie and has died a few times, does the timer RESET since the tooth is a "new" entity?
I actually know a little bit about the borders. My current fort is on the intersection of two evil biomes, only one of them makes zombies. You can actually see the border very clearly because the non-zombie area is painted with ooze. Zombies have no problem entering the non-zombie area but when a creature dies in the non-zombie area it stays dead.

Hotaru

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange foreigner fond of industry
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2012, 11:38:28 am »

Can teeth be reanimated? Because in trials for the EBO butchering thing, I struck a wolf in the mouth hard and this scattered like 10 teeth all over the place. Haven't seen that before. In an evil area that might be some trouble...
It is said knowledge is like a foul-smelling herb. It must be cooked well and thoroughly with experience to make it palatable. A young scholar's knowledge is therefore not only worthless but disgusting. -- In Dwarf Fortress you have another paradigm. Gather as much of that smelly herb as you can and toss it at your enemy, fracturing his skull through the +capybara man leather cap+.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2012, 11:39:38 am »

Can teeth be reanimated? Because in trials for the EBO butchering thing, I struck a wolf in the mouth hard and this scattered like 10 teeth all over the place. Haven't seen that before. In an evil area that might be some trouble...
Instead of every creature having about four teeth they now come in clusters so knocking them out sends them spraying everywhere. Even though there's a big concern about it you can't animate teeth.

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2012, 11:39:55 am »

Good feedback. Funny, a moment after I posted that I found this thread, which also had some info on this topic.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=101053.0
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2012, 03:03:20 pm »

I've solved my own mystery, every animated corpse is gigantic and usually incredibly muscular. If the utilities were updated more precise science could be done but zombies just like thralls get beefed up when they turn.

Kirbypowered

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Dabbler
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2012, 03:24:13 pm »

Don't know if it was sheer coincidence or an intentional feature, but when I embarked at the intersection of two sinister biomes and a haunted one, I only ever got goblin blood rain in each area. I was really hoping to have three different nasty weather conditions plaguing my dwarves. :(
THE WINTER MEN COME DOWN THE VALLEY AND KILL KILL KILL.
I'm voting for the Plaid Acre up next on COLORS AND MEASUREMENTS weekly.

zubb2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2012, 04:08:30 pm »

Hey test to see if zed dogs are better than war dogs I wish to release the hounds.

Could also do this with caged goblins or elves or volunteers.

Can you chain up a zed would be great watch dogs set a restricted zone round them so ,wait wait the dorfs would just run away.
(Anyone else have any stories that can compare to a man being beaten to death with his own trousers by a giant gopher?)
(when goblins showed up, I mumbled "Smithers! Release the hounds!" and had the lever pulled.)

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2012, 04:10:30 pm »

In regards to water and muscles with zombies.
I had one dwarf drown to death, and months later I examine her and it still says she is very muscular, so zombies do have muscle, somehow.

@OP
Find out if vampires can reproduce. Then have a fortress with only vampires.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2012, 04:39:44 pm »

From my experience zombies seem to rise regardless of what part of the biome they are on. I hauled the refuse to the non evil part of the map but they still rose.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2012, 04:58:27 pm »

In regards to water and muscles with zombies.
I had one dwarf drown to death, and months later I examine her and it still says she is very muscular, so zombies do have muscle, somehow.

@OP
It's kind of weird to see "HIS RIGHT UPPER ARMS MUSCLE IS GONE HIS LEFT UPPER ARMS MUSCLE IS GONE ETC.X1000 He is very muscular."

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2012, 05:26:54 pm »

Try and see if a werewolf can beat a vampire in a fight, then have the winner fight a thrall, then a mummy.  :P
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

Geen

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm gonna live forever, or die trying.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2012, 08:17:51 pm »

Try and see if a werewolf can beat a vampire in a fight, then have the winner fight a thrall, then a mummy.  :P
My money's on the mummy, those things are ridiculously hard to kill.

Wirevix

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammered Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2012, 08:36:34 pm »

Vampires get the [STERILE] tag.  They can only reproduce by other dwarves drinking their blood and contracting vampirism.
In other news, the trees in my game can have invisible sex.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6