Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Girly Zombie Science  (Read 21787 times)

theLumberJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe that rock!
    • View Profile
    • Musings and Photos
Re: Girly Zombie Science
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2012, 02:26:59 pm »

I wonder if you chain something alive down, and then let it die or become thralled, if it would stay chained.
I watched a zombie dwarf tear off a girls dress and hit her with it so hard it became lodged in her skull.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2012, 02:29:40 pm »

I wonder if you chain something alive down, and then let it die or become thralled, if it would stay chained.

I see where this is going. It is Dorfy. That being said chains appear to be stuck to creatures even when they die (someone had to butcher a dog to reclaim an artifact rope once), so maybe.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2012, 02:39:47 pm »

I see where this is going. It is Dorfy. That being said chains appear to be stuck to creatures even when they die (someone had to butcher a dog to reclaim an artifact rope once), so maybe.
Just tried, it doesn't work. You can however with a vampire and a cage trap chain a zombie to a spot.

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2012, 06:31:41 pm »

I've been messing about trying to use caged necromancers as zombie generators by build the cage in a refuse pile room, releasing the necromancer, and then capturing anything that tries to leave the room with cage traps.  It seems like I can only get one zombie at a time like this, even when i reload the cage with a different necromancer.  Any idea how to get around this? Or are mine capable of raising more and just not cooperating, maybe they need a kitten present to trigger the fight response? 

gawwy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2012, 07:55:16 pm »

if zombies dont regen on normal ground...

could  this lead to religions being useful by providing/building/maintaining hallowed ground?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 21, 2012, 08:39:24 pm »

You can't hallow the ground, you can only embark on an edge.

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2012, 09:47:30 pm »

I've been messing about trying to use caged necromancers as zombie generators by build the cage in a refuse pile room, releasing the necromancer, and then capturing anything that tries to leave the room with cage traps.  It seems like I can only get one zombie at a time like this, even when i reload the cage with a different necromancer.  Any idea how to get around this? Or are mine capable of raising more and just not cooperating, maybe they need a kitten present to trigger the fight response?
General method I've heard discussed: Pin the necromancer behind fortifications that separate him from the bottom of a pit. Dump unsorted zombie chunks (whole and partial) into the pit. Fortifications do not block LOS. Necromancer should raise them for you, eventually, and the pit keeps them contained. Make the pit deep, and most critters landing initially will have massive injuries (or explode) and be easily overwhelmed by your undead doormen, then brought back to serve forever (or until Urist fixes the atom smasher).

General discussion goes like this:
- Will scare your dwarves if they're close by, so take precautions to keep dwarves and zombies (And necromancer) separate, for easier handling.
- Will readily convert new pit occupants, such as if a retracting bridge 'gives out' under some goblins or a 'dodge trap' is suspended over the zombification pit.
- Makes good use of disc traps on an overhead bridge - severed parts are also raised and sheer numbers will overwhelm most new arrivals with fatigue, then splat.
- Consider cleanup: Magma and atom smashing are both potentially good for culling too-large zombie numbers. (Note that the necromancer will need to be protected from magma, if his room is on the same floor as the zombie housing.)
- Avoid flyers. Flyer corpses dropped into the pit should be incinerated immediately. Flying zombies are not a good look.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2012, 09:49:45 pm »

General method I've heard discussed: Pin the necromancer behind fortifications that separate him from the bottom of a pit. Dump unsorted zombie chunks (whole and partial) into the pit. Fortifications do not block LOS. Necromancer should raise them for you, eventually, and the pit keeps them contained. Make the pit deep, and most critters landing initially will have massive injuries (or explode) and be easily overwhelmed by your undead doormen, then brought back to serve forever (or until Urist fixes the atom smasher).

General discussion goes like this:
- Will scare your dwarves if they're close by, so take precautions to keep dwarves and zombies (And necromancer) separate, for easier handling.
- Will readily convert new pit occupants, such as if a retracting bridge 'gives out' under some goblins or a 'dodge trap' is suspended over the zombification pit.
- Makes good use of disc traps on an overhead bridge - severed parts are also raised and sheer numbers will overwhelm most new arrivals with fatigue, then splat.
- Consider cleanup: Magma and atom smashing are both potentially good for culling too-large zombie numbers. (Note that the necromancer will need to be protected from magma, if his room is on the same floor as the zombie housing.)
- Avoid flyers. Flyer corpses dropped into the pit should be incinerated immediately. Flying zombies are not a good look.
Magma and atom smashing are both potentially good for culling too-large zombie numbers.
Dangerously misleading. Magma disposes of corpses, zombies are fireproof.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2012, 09:55:47 pm »

Personally, I'd go the stylish route.  The pit is filled with 10x iron/steel upright spears, and rigged to fill or empty with magma at the pull of a lever.  When you want to empty/thin the pit, you simply fill with magma, the piston the spikes.  The spikes kill, so the zombies become corpses, and the corpses are burned immediately.  When you want to thicken the pit, simply remove the magma.

As a bonus, the upright spears left "upright" will cause immense falling damage, so you can make a suitable gore pit.  If you get creative with windows and chained dogs, you can even make a path for them to follow using dogs as bait to lure them into a tunnel that connects to the surface.  Put the necromancer behind a window as well, as this allows sight but not magma, or instal a bridge to shield from the magma flow.

ab00

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Computer!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2012, 09:57:43 pm »

Just did some arena !!Science!!:

A dead necromancer, once raised, looses the ability to reanimate corpses.
Suicides do not count towards das Fuhrers kill score.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2012, 10:28:30 pm »

I have a few questions in preparation for my own experiments; 

Are necromancers cageable?

How tough is the average zombie? (for argument's sake, say, a complete animated civilian dwarf corpse)

Does magma kill zombies effectively?  I've seen one or two posts about zombies lingering in magma unharmed save for being on fire.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2012, 10:35:36 pm »

I have a few questions in preparation for my own experiments; 

Are necromancers cageable?

How tough is the average zombie? (for argument's sake, say, a complete animated civilian dwarf corpse)

Does magma kill zombies effectively?  I've seen one or two posts about zombies lingering in magma unharmed save for being on fire.

Yes, it's been done.
...I watched a zombie dwarf tear off a girls dress and hit her with it so hard it became lodged in her skull.
I also saw a zombie cat snap a Giraffes neck with a single stroke of it's mighty paw.
No, Magma just makes them angry fiery zombies.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 21, 2012, 11:15:38 pm »

Cheers.  That's regular caging, not webbed caging, yeah?  And I'm assuming a captive necromancer will still trying to raise anything dead in sight and doesnt start ignoring dwarf corpses?  Just covering all my bases before I start properly planning my little project.

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 22, 2012, 12:04:04 am »

They are easily cageable.  The fort I was experimenting with had 4 captive necromancers, 3 human and 1 dwarf, as well as a weremoose and I think some other weres.  The only trouble I ever had with necromancers was when on a whim I tried to sell one to some traders, and the hauling dwarf set him loose in the stockpiles, where he resurrected some wool before being torn to shreds and thrown into the moat by the caravan guards.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 22, 2012, 12:11:18 am »

well as long as we are on the subject of webs, cages and zombification..
If i catch a GCS in a terrifying embark will it resurrect when it dies retaining the ability to shoot web at kittens?
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6