Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Girly Zombie Science  (Read 21574 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Girly Zombie Science
« on: February 16, 2012, 07:31:39 am »

First of all that's a misnomer.  Dwarven girls don't exist.  We all have the same beard, there is no distinction.

Second, Therapist is working, rather buggy and a bit sloppy, but what's working now is indeed working.  This is all that's needed for full exploitation of zombie science.  There are dwarves, there is a Therapist, and there's one grinning girl wearing a strange square hat.  Let there be science.

I can gen long-history worlds (500 year) of any size reliably, and I can embark on 16x16 unreliably.  This namely means 1: I can test the history that other computers might crash trying to generate, and 2: I can look for Upright Spoilers.  I've got a fair amount of worldgen experience and can make worlds with any biome and any degree of evil.  I will not be cheating.  Even though this is in the name of science, all things will be done legit and the labor will be hard-fought to get a fort stable and even harder to get it science-ready and experimenting.

There are a lot of unknown things with the new version.  Zombies, soot thralls, lethal rain, re-zombies, were-beasts, necromancers, re-re-zombies...  Where should I start, and what should be my goal?

schismatise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Girly Zombie Science
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 07:39:15 am »

Where should I start, and what should be my goal?

Not dying to hordes of zombies would be a good start!

Maybe some simple early strategy such as where to put your refuse pile and how deep a hole to put it in, for example? I've heard this can also make a good marksdwarf training facility, but if it's too shallow and in the wrong place it might scare your nearby workers or something...

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 07:40:37 am »

Damming evil rainwater and unleashing it on invaders to see if they melt or turn into an uncontrolable fortress defence system.

I think this qualifies as a side-project, since you can do it and something else at the same time.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 07:42:29 am by Urist McGyver »
It's treated as completely normal because this is Dwarf Fortress.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with a wall of flames, only to later realize that you're surrounded by a wall of flames.
There's nothing that can't be solved by hurling fifteen roc birds at it.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 07:43:10 am »

Well this early on science should be as functional as possible, I'd say start with the workings and killing of zombies since that seems to be the biggest problem. Rain, mist, werecreatures, and necromancers are either already avoidable or too rare to be concerned with yet.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 07:44:04 am »

Following with anticipation!

Also very interested in what skillset/items you embark with.

Either way I can't imagine it can't go worse then my attempts so far ^^

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 07:44:47 am »

Here's something - someone mentioned in another thread that they seemed to find that zombies take longer and longer to reanimate each time they collapse. Start a fort, contain a zombie, and prod it until it stops getting up?
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 07:46:16 am »

It appears that raining goblin blood is... odd.  Murky pools refill with water, not blood, and it doesn't spread blood into the pools.  Furthermore, my dwarves end up covered in blood AND water.  There seem to be rather specific measures taken to make water remain safe, and by extension make toxic rain difficult, if not impossible, to control.

Either way, I think my first task will be a simple survival run.  Find a proper embark with zombies and harmful rain, complete with mists and soot and re-reanimation, and then simply survive on it.

The reanimation timer can be tested with a fresh corpse.  Throw a kitten into an upright spike.  When it reanimates, spike it again.  Repeat until it stops resurrecting.

Angel-of-Dusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 08:30:39 am »

From personal experience, Mist Thralls are nigh invulnerable.

They are, as easily I can explain, the Phazon of Dwarf Fortress.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 08:34:28 am »

From personal experience, Mist Thralls are nigh invulnerable.

They are, as easily I can explain, the Phazon of Dwarf Fortress.

Delicious.

Angel-of-Dusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2012, 08:45:45 am »

Here's something - someone mentioned in another thread that they seemed to find that zombies take longer and longer to reanimate each time they collapse. Start a fort, contain a zombie, and prod it until it stops getting up?

inb4 zombie grinding machine

Im not a fan of zombie sausage

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2012, 10:33:00 am »

You should also test the strength of zombies, despite often having no muscle to speak of they seem to be significantly more powerful than their non zombie form- I watched a zombie dwarf tear off a girls dress and hit her with it so hard it became lodged in her skull.

Hotaru

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange foreigner fond of industry
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2012, 10:55:06 am »

I watched a zombie dwarf tear off a girls dress and hit her with it so hard it became lodged in her skull.

Well that's... I don't know what to do with this mental image.
It is said knowledge is like a foul-smelling herb. It must be cooked well and thoroughly with experience to make it palatable. A young scholar's knowledge is therefore not only worthless but disgusting. -- In Dwarf Fortress you have another paradigm. Gather as much of that smelly herb as you can and toss it at your enemy, fracturing his skull through the +capybara man leather cap+.

schismatise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2012, 10:59:45 am »

[...] despite often having no muscle to speak of they seem to be significantly more powerful than their non zombie form- I watched a zombie dwarf tear off a girls dress and hit her with it so hard it became lodged in her skull.

This game is... there's just no words. Why would anyone play anything else?!

Edit: Hotaru typed faster than me.

lemmily

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BatFinchBears
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2012, 11:12:21 am »

Test to see if corpse/refuse reanimate if it's underwater! I would try it, but I've failed to find either a good (as in evil biome) place to embark that doesnt have aquifiers, or well, survive.

But yeah see if dumping corpses/refuse into water stops it reanimating? if that is the case you could build a drainable pit...'storage' for the refuse and drain it occasionally if there's a need to grab any of the stuff out of there
I make furry things - BatFinch Bears

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2012, 11:18:25 am »

Test to see if corpse/refuse reanimate if it's underwater! I would try it, but I've failed to find either a good (as in evil biome) place to embark that doesnt have aquifiers, or well, survive.

But yeah see if dumping corpses/refuse into water stops it reanimating? if that is the case you could build a drainable pit...'storage' for the refuse and drain it occasionally if there's a need to grab any of the stuff out of there
It doesn't, I've had several people killed in the water crawl out and join the ranks of the undead.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6