Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 18

Author Topic: List of Vampire Facts  (Read 93626 times)

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: List of Vampire Facts
« Reply #150 on: February 22, 2012, 09:44:46 pm »

I re-loaded my crashed fort from the seasonal autosave.  The individual bedrooms had been converted into 10-dwarf suites already, but there was no second victim yet.  I tried to figure out what state things were in, and resume normal progress.

About half a season later, I discovered my broker, who is "quite durable", flashing + and Z in his bed.  And Pale.  Looks like he survived a feeding.

There was nothing on the Justice screen; apparently a nonfatal feeding does not constitute a crime.

There were no bad thoughts on the victim's part either.  In fact, he "has been ecstatic lately. He slept in a good bedroom recently. He has been satisfied at work lately. He talked with a friend lately. He dined in a fantastic dining room recently. He admired a fine Trade Depot lately. He ate a truly decadent dish lately. He admired own fine Bed lately."

----------------------------

Oh, I wrote too soon!  He was asleep at the time I checked his thoughts.  Later, when he woke up, he had picked up "sustained major injuries recently" and was merely "quite content".
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 09:47:45 pm by greycat »
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
« Reply #151 on: February 23, 2012, 01:10:45 am »

Vampires seem to arrive with unusually high combat experience set at 12,500 experience. My new fort, I've had 2 vampires show up, that I've identified. Both were the only dwarves to show up with any real combat experience (outside the hunters) and these guys both came with 12,500 in every big combat stat, which was 4. Armor, dodge, fighter and a random weapon.

The hunter also showed up with 12,500 but he had his experience in marksdwarf, dodger and ambusher

I confirmed vampire by the fact that their names didn't match in Dwarf Therapist and the game.

I was able to figure out who they really were by making them bowyers and having them construct a workshop.

Oh.and adding vampires to burrows isn't a permanent fix. Just lost my farmer.
Why?
goblins attacked, activated the alert, the vampires joined the regular burrow.
got everyone inside, pulled up the draw bridge
put the alert back to normal
didn't notice, but the vampires never went back to their special burrow
only realized it when my butcher/farmer was killed.
checked burrow, vampires names still listed as belonging in that burrow.

woops yet another strike against vampires.

TheCze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 23, 2012, 01:32:10 am »

For anyone who still has problems with Vampires and does not want to create giant group bedrooms:

Carve out fortifications at your bedchambers to the hallway (and while you're at it: to the neighbouring rooms). Then send a squad to patrol the hallway. This should give you witnesses most of the time.

Timst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 23, 2012, 06:23:21 am »

Just put them in a locked or walled room and forget about them, crossmr. Then if you want to weaponize them later you can always prepare something around their room and remotely release them.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 23, 2012, 06:38:59 am »

I disagree, I have a successful fort with several vampires, a few who are soldiers, but mostly my nobles. (the soldiers are because the stupid peasants rushed in when I unlocked the door to my vampire blood fount.)

You just can't have -a lot- of vampires. But getting them to feed from children is possible, you just have to make liberal use of burrows.

Making nobles vamps isn't really the best use of vapirism, btw, I just wanted a ruling class.

I didn't say my fort wasn't successful. I had a great little fort, lots of workshops, food, everyone was happy, etc
The problem was that good dwarves were randomly being killed off and I could do nothing about it.
That's the point. The risk vs reward doesn't balance out here. The risk of losing random dwarves that you could have spent hours/days cultivating, say in the case of training up a military from scratch, vs the reward of getting a slightly better soldier/a mug maker that never sleeps doesn't work for me.
Why could you do nothing? Finding vamps is easy then you can throw them down a 20 level hole, or lock them in a 1x1 and never look at them again.

Or you can put in the work and get a really damn good soldier :)

Forumite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 23, 2012, 12:44:50 pm »

I might try a full vamp fortress, see how that works. Get a vampire, lock him in a well at the back of the fortress, kill him and force my dwarves to drink the bloodied water in a hellish ritual of initiation. Once my elites have transcended time, rest and sustenance, they´ll get about their business. Once the next migrant-wave comes along, I´ll assign them all small but luxurious bedrooms, and once they get tired, it is time to feed...
"The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 23, 2012, 04:13:37 pm »

I confirmed vampire by the fact that their names didn't match in Dwarf Therapist and the game.
is this confirmed?
As I said I have dwarves that show up with a different name on DwarfTheRapist, yet I haven't had a single killing?

When a new migration wave shows up usually I get 1 or 2 dwarves that show up in-game but they don't show up on DwarfTheRapist, I haven't been keeping track of them, since I thought it was some glitch on DwarfTheRapist, after a while both seem to sync and I get them show on both applications...

In my last wave I started keeping track of this, I got 4 dwarves with different names that show in-game and on DwarfTheRapist, and I got 2 that don't show at all in DwarfTheRapist, one seems perfectly normal upon inspection, the other has jewellery and hundreds of kills (animal men/giant whatever/animals)

Ironically one of my prime suspects from this wave did show up on DwarfTheRapist, he had jewellery and hundreds of DWARF kills... :o  can dwarven civs fight each other? how can he have killed dwarves and not be an enemy of the dwarven civilization??

or my theory:
I found the VAMPIRE CURE perhaps???
since my theoretical vampires (the one that don't show up on DwarfTheRapist) after a while begin to show up? are they getting cured somehow? maybe if bad biomes can turn corpses into undead then good biomes can cure curses??

I also have stocks of blood, ichor and venom in my fortress if that has some effect whatsoever... haven't keep track if they are getting drunk, though.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 04:17:16 pm by Kaos »

TheCze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 24, 2012, 01:31:46 am »

is this confirmed?
My vampires also had different namen in Dwarf Therapist than ingame.

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
« Reply #158 on: February 24, 2012, 02:32:03 am »

and yet again burrows fail to contain the vampire.
I wanted to use his high weapon skill to train someone..
I put him in a burrow made him a squad member, set him to train around the clock. put the barracks in the burrow
he organized a dodging demonstration, 3 seconds in to it, he wanders off and kills a farmer.

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 24, 2012, 02:41:48 am »

You must leave them inactive. And have some way to isolate them when you ring the town bell and send all dwarves to the emergency burrow.
He stole an onion. Off with his head.
I wonder, what would they do if someone killed their king.
Inevitable, who cares. Now an onion...

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
« Reply #160 on: February 24, 2012, 02:57:17 am »

You must leave them inactive. And have some way to isolate them when you ring the town bell and send all dwarves to the emergency burrow.

So no way to use them to train other soldiers without putting the fort at risk?

white_darkness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 24, 2012, 03:27:11 am »

is this confirmed?
My vampires also had different namen in Dwarf Therapist than ingame.

That's the way it's worked for me, while I no longer remember all of Melbil Ulengthob's true name (it was Ast something), she's been the only one to show up in 116 dwarves now.  I originally had three suspects that didn't show up quite properly in Therapist, well, one that had a different last name, and one I just missed because I was zoning out after checking 75 dwarves.  The other two got thirsty.  Melbil (Ast) nobly sacrificed herself to punch a hole into the magma pipe to the magma sea.

When therapist doesn't catch a few dwarves and shows a lower number than what you have it resyncs as soon as someone gives birth, at least from what I've seen so far.

At this point, I'm just waiting to see if Ast's forlorn ghost is going to wander from my magma cistern and try to feed from beyond the grave before I get her slabbed.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #162 on: February 24, 2012, 03:54:54 am »

just have them station in an unused side of the fort, and forbid the doors to it.
problem solved.
walls+closed door=end of problems.
or if you have problems in catching a vampire, just have all your single rooms accessible from one corridor, place something like a door to block it, dorfs start sleeping on the ground, more easy to have witnesses.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 24, 2012, 04:55:40 am »

So no way to use them to train other soldiers without putting the fort at risk?
With some work you probably could. Easier to make/get another vampire and make a mini vampire fort where they train with each other.

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 24, 2012, 05:49:03 am »

You could make a water barrier, so when they try to cross to the other side, they are washed down a pit and have to climb back to the vampire area. That would allow to designate a shared training arena.
He stole an onion. Off with his head.
I wonder, what would they do if someone killed their king.
Inevitable, who cares. Now an onion...
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 18