Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 18

Author Topic: List of Vampire Facts  (Read 93571 times)

Lungfish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: List of Vampire Facts
« Reply #195 on: February 27, 2012, 08:32:03 am »

Just finished reading this entire thread.
Delighted to realize that a vampire-plagued fortress I twice abandoned had the same Metalsmith as a mayor. It was my first fortress since the new release so I thought it was a minor bug that my mayor was listed as a Metalsmith, but now I know.
When I reclaimed the fortress, I had a lot of people being found drained of blood outside the fort, probably having fallen asleep while on a haul job - that was before I started getting beds into all the cozy 3x3 rooms. So I can confirm vamps will kill dwarves not sleeping in beds, but it also seemed that they preferred their victims to be in comfy beds for the draining.

Third fortress, (second original one) I'm trying a panopticon approach to fortress design. Sadly, no vampires yet, it seems. Looking forward to the xxsciencexx. Can hammerdwarves endlessly train in beating a vampire that's hardly hurt by hammers?

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: February 27, 2012, 09:40:26 am »

So I had my vampire-bookkeeper, who I'm 100% certain had only red attributes.

Now, she has a good intellect.

So it seems vampires can gain attributes. Has anyone done any science?

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: February 27, 2012, 11:57:27 am »

I had a vampire accuse his own actions on innocents twice!

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: February 28, 2012, 06:32:51 pm »

I found my vampires!

short story used Legends Viewer  :P , reported my findings on that thread above, I have no vampires currently in my fortress, waiting for the 3 possible candidates in my whole world, 3 dwarf vampires that live in different sites of my dwarven civ, one of them being my QUEEN!!

Just curious, my only werebeast in the whole world is a human... a human that lives in one of my parent civ's settlement, any chance she will migrate? what about vampires from other races that live within my civ's settlements??

zgamer699

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: March 03, 2012, 09:26:30 am »

Logem Rigothmorul, king vampire has come!

!?!?

Edit: i suppose i should explain some.  im not one for !!science!!  i just tell my dwarves to get to work.  so im building a nice fortress, nothing super yet, not even ready to tap my gold veins, and this guy shows up.  in unit status he is sixteen, basically unbreakable, unbelievably strong, incredibly quick to heal, and rarely sick, but clumsy.

i havnt really noticed a whole lot of vampirism, oh a couple of drained bodies over the years, but they seemed to go away as the goblins slaughtered my dwarves when they didnt make it over the drawbridge in time or i didnt get it up in time... anyway, assumed dead.

so... i have no idea where this is going.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 09:48:21 am by zgamer699 »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: March 03, 2012, 01:02:22 pm »

A little input on vampire happiness - they are sad if their friends die.  They can even go stark raving mad.
Also, a vampire who spots another vampire feeding seems to have no problem with reporting the crime correctly (at least 75% of the time)

Spoiler: Background (click to show/hide)

Apparently I didn't fail completely, though - 20 dwarves eventually gained "vampire" status after their profession names.  To deal with the other ~200 dwarves, I locked all of my unskilled labor into a small hallway to starve.  Occasionally the vampires among them would suck their blood, but I know that that's not necessary.  It did help kill off the living though.

ANYWAY to return to my point, my poor baron went Stark Raving Mad in his locked-away office of solitude.  He was really attached to his food   :( 
The vampires who hung out with the dying dwarves are fine, however.  In fact they have between 40,000 and 100,000 happiness!  I'm not experienced with this version but isn't that an awful lot?  Most of them seem to have made satisfying acquisitions recently, maybe they claimed the clothes of the dying. 

One of the happiest, a child with 8562 happiness, had:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I know that happy thoughts are notoriously hard to track, so this will probably remain mysterious.  I'm wondering if they like to see death though, due to the hates-life tag (whatever it was).  Losing friends drove my baron-vampire insane, but something's keeping these other vampires insanely happy.  Most of them don't even have pets, just each others company (but they were friends with most of the dwarves who just rotted to death in front of them!  Strange!)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

AlBravo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: March 04, 2012, 10:33:10 am »

My first vampire:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Funny thing is he is using fake name - Dwarf Therapist has it right.  He took out 1 and I immediately tracked him down based on long list of skills.  His description also sounds like Count Orlok in Nosferatu.  Now, what to do with him?

And I found under his Deity where he was cursed in year 87.  So he is actually about 163 now though his profile shows 114.

Hope that image is readable.  I'm on Eyefinity 3 monitor setup.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 10:54:28 am by AlBravo »
Ancient Avatar

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: March 04, 2012, 11:11:51 am »

Whoa, that's a wide window. How many embark tiles can you fit on it?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Mercenare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: March 04, 2012, 12:53:20 pm »

I'm not sure if anyone has figured this out, but I was using a vamp for exploratory digging, suffice to say he fell 3 z levels and died. Therefore Vampires die like regular dorfs from falls (or maybe he died because he fell straight on his head, who knows.)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #204 on: March 04, 2012, 01:02:58 pm »

I'm not sure if anyone has figured this out, but I was using a vamp for exploratory digging, suffice to say he fell 3 z levels and died. Therefore Vampires die like regular dorfs from falls (or maybe he died because he fell straight on his head, who knows.)

Cave in or normal fall?

Mercenare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: March 04, 2012, 01:22:56 pm »

Normal fall, he was standing on a block of rock that he was channeling out.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #206 on: March 04, 2012, 01:32:12 pm »

Probably a weak/unlucky vampire, a normal Dwarf would on average be able to survive that drop with only broken bones;/

jp.mech

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: March 04, 2012, 05:16:36 pm »

Two things I noticed with my vampires.
They can become invisible - don't know if its turning into bats or what but I had a fort basically on its way to defeat/tantrum spiral due to an ambush. Had a vampire sitting in the jail fall into melancholy due to the death of their friends. In the aftermath, I was looking at some patients in the hospital, the same level the prison was on, to notice that the vampire's chain was gone - he had broken himself free. Shortly thereafter, he vanished and I saw two doors on the way out to the main hall open and close with no one else walking through them. I don't know if he was leaving or only going for a snack because I abandoned thereafter and that world suffered from 34.01 world corruption.

In another fort with 4 vampires with nearly 25+ feedings to their name (mostly my important dwarves who were given proper rooms), I decided to send them into the 2nd cavern to explore since my hammerer was merely tickling them or not even bothering to beat them despite holding a weapon. While working to place them in the cavern, a giant rat came in and bit a recruit, leaving a bloody mess in a hall. Once the vampires were stationed in the cavern, I noticed one heading back into the fort - for a snack obviously. He was able to get in because some constructions did not seal the cavern entrance. So I follow this dwarf to see who he'll claim. He gets to the bloody mess left by the recruit and turns around and goes back to his station. It was too long ago to remember if the blood tile became clean (definitely fed the vampire) or if the targeted victim woke up and the vampire experienced a feed job cancellation and decided to go back to his post (coincidentally went back once reaching the blood). While I think its the former and there was quite a mess from the giant rat attack, the other vampires sent to explore did manage to get back in to feed on other dwarves while I was busy micromanaging a mood, as I had forgotten to lock the hatch.

To the people complaining that their military vampires are leaving their burrow, it is worth noting that military dwarves in general will ignore burrow orders to get their task accomplished. In normal play, that means they'll go anywhere to pick up equipment, whereas vampires will abandon duties to feed. I think this is true even if burrow restrictions are set in the military screen for that squad.

I usually tag my vampires by noticing that they have a lengthy list of previous memberships. I don't know if that changed recently but I wanted to know: Based on what I read on the dev notes, evil creatures will leave a city once the population there becomes suspicious of their actions. So, will vampires leave your fort if they're jailed/beaten enough or does your population generally not care that there's a vampire loose and do not become suspicious of them?

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: March 04, 2012, 07:28:49 pm »

If you put a vampire on a screw pump, does the vampire ever get exhausted from pumping?

Bostrvill

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: March 05, 2012, 10:10:38 am »

Greetings. I've read the whole thread, but pardon if the following info was mentioned.
http://imageshack.us/f/822/ghostvampies.jpg/

The story is that it was my first and most promising fortress after 34.03 release. And since it's foundation i've been carefully(almost) checking for any vampire. The main mistake was disposing of them via magma dump. No remains were left and i couldn't engrave a slab to prevent ghosts from appearing. So it was 4th year of fortress when i got rid of a vamp child, which annoyed me for quite a time but ended smoothing stone under a bridge. Two calm month and then a bloodless corpse. Wasted 2 hours reading all of 103 dwarves' bio but none of them had signs of being a vampire.

The next day i checked this thread and, thanks to Kaos's idea decided to duplicate save file to simply check the legends. You see the result in the link. The two vamp ghosts returned and despite them being only haunting forlorn and secretive poltergeist (no harm behavior) they continued to feast. One of them somehow claimed a casket but didn't disappear....so without any normal way to get rid of them i'll have to leave this cosy fortress...

It would be nice if someone could add the info to wiki, don't know if this is a bug or "fun", or both. The whole vampire thing kinda annoyed me due to frequencies. Thinking about a 10 z levels pit for vampies to have material for burial the next time.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 18