Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18]

Author Topic: List of Vampire Facts  (Read 93638 times)

Fellstaff

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: List of Vampire Facts
« Reply #255 on: April 18, 2012, 10:13:56 pm »

Ehmmm... OK, I have identified a poorly disguised bloodsucker, how do I get rid of him? Apart for locking his room forever, obviously.

I found the first cavern level on my current fort, but hadn't started clearing it.   I've been training a melee and a marksdwarf squad and have only had one ambush (free armor, few losses).  Out of the blue one of my newer arrivals (bone doctor?) drops dead in the middle of the ONLY dining room.  And noone saw who did it.  I eventually found the culprit while organizing my crew (65+ dwarves) using Dwarf Therapist.  The vampire was a recent arrival also, near legendary butcher and no other (useful) skills to speak of.  He has 3 Great or higher social skills, including Liar. 

I drafted him into his own squad, equipped him with an axe and dug out a bedroom/barracks for him near the cavern.   I parked him in his barracks while I finished getting everything ready.  I put in a door between his barracks and the rest of the fort and breached the cavern through the barracks.  Then I got everyone else out and locked the door.  I assigned him every labor except mining (he only has an axe).   I'm going to have him chop trees, build some workshops and start stockpiling the resources in the cavern.  I can see silk all over but only saw a few cave spiders, so he might last.  I might eventually throw a pick into his prison so he can dig out gems and such around the cavern.  If he dies, he served his new fortress well and will have paid for his crimes.  If he doesn't die, he's going to be a one tough beast.  As long as he's drafted, I don't think he's going to be wandering around biting people if he's stationed and barracked away from the rest of the fort.

Edit:
Shortly after locking him up and putting him to work, he was elected mayor.  I'm going to make him smooth and engrave his own bedroom/office/barracks to improve his office/quarters status.  I might send him off on patrol and unlock the door to drop in some encrusted furniture.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 09:38:18 am by Fellstaff »

ichigo2862

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: April 18, 2012, 11:15:27 pm »

Oh man, the idea of a completely vampiric fort has me all giddy. No food, no need for alcohol. I could put everybody except a few craftsmen to gear me out into an undead dwarf army. I've got a question though, would vampires drink the blood of another vampire? Like if one of my vampire dwarves got knocked out by dust or something, would they swarm him and suck him dry?

Fellstaff

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: April 19, 2012, 02:45:09 pm »

Oh man, the idea of a completely vampiric fort has me all giddy. No food, no need for alcohol. I could put everybody except a few craftsmen to gear me out into an undead dwarf army. I've got a question though, would vampires drink the blood of another vampire? Like if one of my vampire dwarves got knocked out by dust or something, would they swarm him and suck him dry?

They don't need food, but they are dependent on alcohol to function.  Unfortunately, they don't drink alcohol, so they suffer the normal penalties for being 'sober'.  Blood doesn't substitute for alcohol for vampires, so they don't work very well as anything useful.  The only vampire I found lasted some time before I caught her, "She needs alcohol to get through the working day and can't even remember the last time she had some".  She moves noticeably slower than everyone else.

A fort of vampires would eventually consist of a bunch of very slow moving, very strong/agile/healthy creatures that don't need food or drink.  You might as well increase your FPS cap so they look like they're moving at normal speed :).

Moonshadow101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: April 19, 2012, 03:31:55 pm »

I'm thinking more of a two-stage fort: the "outer stage" consisting mainly of mortals, and the "Inner Circle" of vampire leaders that treat the others like cattle. Only dwarves useful enough that I don't want them to be fed upon get inducted into the inner circle. And, naturally, adequate cheese makers will find themselves being blamed for numerous murders.

That said, the alcohol thing is a bummer. RAW tinkering should fix that, right? There has to be some kind of [ALCOHOL-DEPENDENT] tag somewhere that can be removed. (not currently at a PC with DF)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 03:35:58 pm by Moonshadow101 »

ichigo2862

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: April 19, 2012, 07:27:50 pm »

They don't need food, but they are dependent on alcohol to function.  Unfortunately, they don't drink alcohol, so they suffer the normal penalties for being 'sober'.  Blood doesn't substitute for alcohol for vampires, so they don't work very well as anything useful.  The only vampire I found lasted some time before I caught her, "She needs alcohol to get through the working day and can't even remember the last time she had some".  She moves noticeably slower than everyone else.

A fort of vampires would eventually consist of a bunch of very slow moving, very strong/agile/healthy creatures that don't need food or drink.  You might as well increase your FPS cap so they look like they're moving at normal speed :).

:sadface:

my dreams of a thriving undead fort have been nipped in the bud.

TSTwizby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: April 20, 2012, 12:22:54 am »

Sorry if this has been mentioned before, I did a cursory search of the thread but could easily have missed it.

When vampires take on false identities, when exactly does it take effect? I've just had an immigrant enter calling themselves 'Hamlet Nomalbavast'. I went ahead and assigned them their labors, waited for any more immigrants to come, then went back and checked again and they were Dumed Libashatir. For now I've got them locked in a room with some high quality food and drink, in the hopes that they'll either sleep, eat or drink soon, giving me more definitive proof.
I got a female and male dragon on my embark. I got cagetraps on the exits but im struggling to find a way to make them path into it.
Live bait.
3 dwarfs out of 7 dead so far

I am Leo

• Bay Watcher
  • Ia ia Oggez Rashaz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: May 03, 2012, 08:35:38 am »

Unfortunately, they don't drink alcohol, so they suffer the normal penalties for being 'sober'.  Blood doesn't substitute for alcohol for vampires, so they don't work very well as anything useful.  The only vampire I found lasted some time before I caught her, "She needs alcohol to get through the working day and can't even remember the last time she had some".  She moves noticeably slower than everyone else.

Surely one of the more common vampire stereotypes is that they miss the assorted pleasures of the flesh. A dwarf suddenly rendered unable to drink for all eternity despite their newfound thirst would be in hell.

"I never drink... Fisher Berry Wine "
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 08:56:09 am by I am Leo »

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: May 03, 2012, 10:12:40 am »

Fu fact: dwarf therapist seems to read the vampire's true name, and the job 'Drinking blood' may appear if you scan at the right time. But even as it happened in the middle of a crowd, it took over 1 year for witnesses to report to the Sheriff/CotG.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Beenjamin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: June 15, 2012, 08:47:22 am »

After scratching my head in confusion attempting to locate my newly promoted Militia Captain, I replaced him with the second most qualified candidate.
The initial Captain turned up drained of blood in his bedroom. And after a detailed investigation I discovered the identity of his vampire assailant. (I ended up using the memorial trick).

The Vampire was none other than the replacement Militia Captain! He will be glad to know that he is now Captain of a one man squad and that he will be able to hone his skills until the end of time...

PainRack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: July 29, 2012, 10:49:20 am »

Vampires apparently can get tired........... And this seems to affect their combat ability, in terms of agility.....

forumist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: August 10, 2014, 11:01:19 am »

Sorry for reanimating an old thread, I know some people consider this bad.

My purpose is to signal that in version 0.40.6, vampires do not seem to be detectable by comparing names between in-game and in Dwarf Therapist.

A child had been found dead completely drained of blood, so I suspected something scary. I had a look at http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Vampire, but nobody had a happy thought "took joy to slaughter", and the dwarf lists match perfectly between the game and Dwarf Therapist. I finally cheated using the "highlight cursed dwarves" cheat in DT, and the only cursed one is my mayor/militia captain.

Some details about him that could have helped me identify him:
- Lots of high level skills, including social and military ones
- Little thoughts: just "conducted a meeting in a poor setting recently"
- Former chief of his former community
- He tends not to reveal personal information
- He needs alcohol to get through the working day and really wants a drink

Is "tomatillo wine" a codeword for "blood"? My vampire happens to "prefers to consume tomatillo wine"
Don't quote me on that.
Cacame channels aquifers into submission by staring at them. Cacame is so badass, kobolds give him their children to leave them alone. If Hidden Fun Stuff digs too far down, they hit Cacame. Cacame once took a Tantrum Spiral and impaled four enemies on it.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #266 on: August 10, 2014, 11:34:38 am »

forumist, no, it's just wine made of tomatillo, which are a type of berries related to tomatoes.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Nikita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: August 10, 2014, 06:13:14 pm »

Got a newer thread here:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141321.msg5514837

Not sure if a merge is in order since last post before the necro is 2 years old so some info might be outdated.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18]