Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18

Author Topic: List of Vampire Facts  (Read 93560 times)

Boogeyman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: List of Vampire Facts
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2012, 10:25:53 am »

Custom profession names don't show up on vampires. Nicknames do.

Probably not WAI.

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2012, 11:41:25 am »

Odd..my vampire just died in a cage..with no message..
I'm using the pheobus set.

I finally got a witness to one murder (there is more than one, the military guy is a confirmed vampire at this point, he never rests, yellow tired)
so I locked the guy up. He got 199 days in jail. He was blinking green in the cage. Not sure what that meant. I was watching him and suddenly he was gone.
No message about him dying, and everyone went in to pick up his clothes. He was alone in the jail, no one went in and killed him or anything.

The justice screen claims he died, but there is no announcement at all.
OMG!! maybe he turned into a bat and escaped?? can they do that?
Or he got killed by something that only affects vampires? garlic, crosses, stake in the heart, watching eclipse (the chic flick)

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2012, 11:43:54 am »

crossmr, I think the only way you can disable vampires is to take them out of your raws and regen a new world. Have fun.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2012, 11:55:17 am »

To be honest this vampire stuff is kind of annoying. Is there a way to disable it?
I've got a barely surviving fort where the vampire just killed off one of my best fighters. Nearly legendary in 3 different categories. Thanks but no thanks.

When you generate a world, go to advanced options and set the number of vampire curse types to 0. That aught to do it.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2012, 03:10:44 pm »

Not all the gods curse mortals with Vampirism.  Some do.  It might be interesting to figure out which do it more often.  I noticed an animal god, laying curses on mortals, often in my last world, he cursed upwords of 80 mortals over a 1000 years.  I also noticed a human god, placing curses on dwarfs.  Go figure...  I would think that would be a racial no-no. 

I've also witnessed born Vampire 'mortal' recieve a vampire curse from stupid god.  That to me seemed redundant and in error.  However when you think of the lifespans of these things, it really puts them in the drivers seat for pissing off a god or two. 

Have yet to see a shapechanger vampire, have you? 

I saw an ass-shaped werebeast curse, that made me laugh when I read it.  On vanilla copy, too, of 34.01, I didn't change donkey to ass name, yet.  Guess I don't have to this version.  Sincerely, Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2012, 03:21:54 pm »

To be honest this vampire stuff is kind of annoying. Is there a way to disable it?
That aught to do it.
That will only limit the variety of curses, but not vampires born into it.  That's how I read it, but I haven't performed any shark dentistry to make sure.  It prolly determines the number of gods that exist to curse the mortals, as a vampire curse appear to be the same regardless, unless some have flight, batform, passwall, etc.. Bloodsucking is bloodsucking, however. 

Unlike the were curses, where some can become wererats, as opposed to werewolves. 

If anyone does find a toggle, let me know, I'm more interested in fortress play more than this TOME 4-like adventure mode stuff, like Crossmr.  Atleast until some more balance and tweaks are brought to DF gameplay.  Simply because I'm old, and appreciate TOME 4 for its Z key.  laZy key.  It is sure nice to autoexplore, when arthritis crops up. Wish DF had a Z key.

Sincerely, Knutor
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 03:24:56 pm by knutor »
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Nihilist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2012, 04:24:09 pm »

I think Vamps may actually starve to death if they don't feed. I use a Hunter vamp in my new fort and noticed him coming back to the fort all yellow(wounds screen). He hadn't been in any combat, went directly to a sleeping dwarf kid and drained him dry. He was all healed up a bit later.

TerryDactyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2012, 04:53:43 pm »

....Can livestock be modded to sleep in the pasture?

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2012, 05:25:52 pm »

one of my fisherdwarfs came all yellow and missing the right eye...for no reason.
i lost track of him in my 150+ forts...
but it could be a sing of vampirism maybe?
since it was migrant status maybe they arrive un-fed or low on food.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2012, 05:52:52 pm »

I'd like this whole vampire thing a whole lot more if there was a chance for military dwarves to witness an attack *and* rush to the victim's aid before the dwarf is killed.  Even if you have all the dwarf (rather than player) detection methods in place, anti-vamp action seems to only happen postmortem :(.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2012, 06:30:30 pm »

Have someone experimented with dwarves becoming vampires? Do preexisting injuries lik missing limbs and severed nerves/nervous tissue heal?
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Captain Goatse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2012, 07:33:36 pm »

I have just finished checking EVERY SINGLE ONE of my 82 dwarves. No one with a longer history, no one with strange jewelry (apart a bearkiller with several bear teeth amulets, but he arrived after the murder). I am crying as you read this.

drivec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2012, 08:38:55 pm »

has anyone tested attaching a war dog to a vampire. i would but i am so dumb i cant firgure out who is a vampire with 236 dwarves

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2012, 09:00:12 pm »

has anyone tested attaching a war dog to a vampire. i would but i am so dumb i cant firgure out who is a vampire with 236 dwarves

Four war dogs each. No visible effects. They keep going to the dormitory for a snack.
He stole an onion. Off with his head.
I wonder, what would they do if someone killed their king.
Inevitable, who cares. Now an onion...

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2012, 09:36:47 pm »

Adding another "me too" or what have you to the "vampires/nicknames are weird" thing. I have two dwarves that.. I can give them nicknames in the status screen, but the nicknames don't show up in the (u) dwarves list. they just show up as their real name there. Which is noticeable, since I don't use dwarf therapist, and instead give each dwarf a nickname to keep track of what he does. And I'm 99.9% sure at least one of those is a vampire. (EDIT: going by the method I edited in below, it looks like BOTH are indeed vampires.)

So in a way they can be given nicknames - if you go into the nicknames-giving screen you can give them the name and save it... but it doesn't show up in the list.

Also yeah, I have to wonder if they'll maybe drink from a barrel of blood if you have one available. Hrmmmm.... I wouldn't mind having the vampires around so much, if that were the case. But I've already lost two working dwarves and a dwarven child to this plague so far...

EDIT: I also JUST found another way to find a vampire, although it's a bit hit-and-miss or at least fairly intensive... you'd probably need to have an idea of who a vampire is to start with unless you want to do a lot of screen-crawling...

But anyhow, if a dwarf has a deity, you can check the deity on its relationship screen, then (v)iew it. This lists the various curses it has given out, and if the deity has cursed the dwarf to be a vampire, you'll find it listed there.

As a note (don't know if it's coincidence, or yet another pointer...), both of my vampires worship Zukthist, who cursed them. Zukthist is the deity of lies. (I realize deity names are random, but it's possible that certain "spheres" might end up associated with vampirism and such?)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 09:50:50 pm by Stormfeather »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18