Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18

Author Topic: List of Vampire Facts  (Read 93672 times)

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
Re: List of Vampire Facts
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2012, 05:15:56 am »

To be honest this vampire stuff is kind of annoying. Is there a way to disable it?
I've got a barely surviving fort where the vampire just killed off one of my best fighters. Nearly legendary in 3 different categories. Thanks but no thanks.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2012, 05:21:00 am »

To be honest this vampire stuff is kind of annoying. Is there a way to disable it?
I've got a barely surviving fort where the vampire just killed off one of my best fighters. Nearly legendary in 3 different categories. Thanks but no thanks.
This sounds fantastic.

You should take better care of your important dorfs!

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2012, 05:30:16 am »

This sounds fantastic.

You should take better care of your important dorfs!

From things which we can't identify easily, stop, or prevent..which randomly and somewhat frequently kills off dwarves.
that goes beyond "fun" for me.
I've got 110 dwarves running around. At least one is a vampire. Trying to pick out who it is is nearly impossible.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2012, 06:02:29 am »

no it's easy crossmr:
first off form a squad of dorfs. and have them patrol in turns.
this follows the precept of having witnesses always around.
squads with no armor, grab the dorfs, have them patrol the dormitory for a while.
when they start getting thirsty, first off: look for those who are NOT thirsty.
do they have the TIRED yellow tag? ----> VAMPIRE.
if a dorf has the TIRED yellow tag--->VAMPIRE.
it doesn't matter if it seems only 37 years old.
or has little to no "formerly a member of".
it's a vampire.
I know, my architect is wrestling outside wrens and badgers, is a vampire, and only has the "Tired" attribute.
rinse repeat till you get the TIRED dorfs.
convict them or place them in a special unit called VII and send them off outside. in station mode. permanently
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2012, 06:12:56 am »

and now it's just killed my almost legendary miner/very skilled broker
I'm done with this.

The danger vs ability to deal with it is just far too high. You can spend lots of real hours skilling up a dwarf and then bam..woops he's gone due to the mysterious "secret vampire dwarf".

in 3 years, I've lost 8 dwarves to this, several of them fairly important at the time. If there were some ability to use the justice system to expose and deal with the vampire (have him beheaded or something) fine.  But hunting and pecking manually among now 120 dwarves (for some reason the birth rate seems higher in this version), for a tired tag? Come on.. you're looking at a meta game solution for a game problem.

Patrolling dorms won't help, as the vampire has killed in the dorm, the barracks, and the regular living quarters.
He's all over the place.

Greendogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2012, 06:34:06 am »

Don't worry man, I'm sure someone will add vampire detecting abilities to a dwarf management utility.  Otherwise, we'll actually have to learn to manage the issue, and maybe Toady will give us more tools to do so.

Vampires have killed off some of my fort's best dwarfs.  Perhaps the vampires target your higher experienced dwarfs to better position themselves for important roles later on, like mayoralships.
Sail - The end reminds me of a goblin choking a kobold.  No ponies, sorry.

UnHerpers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2012, 06:44:42 am »

If you just wanna get rid of them, all you have to do is get dwarf therapist, it shows the vampires really obviously because they are always "on duty" (name in bold) so once you spot one you can just assign him to the military with a full schedule and be safe.

Edit: also you can use the justice system to kill them.

Edit2: also vampires can have children.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 06:49:12 am by UnHerpers »

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2012, 06:53:12 am »

If you just wanna get rid of them, all you have to do is get dwarf therapist, it shows the vampires really obviously because they are always "on duty" (name in bold) so once you spot one you can just assign him to the military with a full schedule and be safe.

Edit: also you can use the justice system to kill them.

Edit2: also vampires can have children.

Only 2 people in dwarf therapist have a bold name, they're both part of the military and they were both stationed outside on a kill order when the last 2 people were killed in the fort.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2012, 07:04:26 am »

Your Vampire sounds awesome, crossmr.

Lots of good narrative right there in your fort.

And Patrolling, will help, but it wont be a 100% effective, unless you place an over abundance of dorfs on internal fort patrolling. Move your dorms toward the middle of a high traffic hallway, completely open.

There's totally solutions to capture this vampire, and plenty of them that doesn't require meta gaming to do so.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2012, 08:14:24 am »

Agreed - most people seem to have come up against vampires of Dr Evil levels of bad-guy incompetence.  Yours appears to be more cunning than average.

Your game of DF just turned into a crime thriller.  Embrace your inner Columbo -you're going to feel brilliant when you get this sucker! [/awfulpun]

Alternatively, just keep accusing and hammering dwarves until the (vampire) killings stop.  Eventually you'll get lucky.
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2012, 08:16:54 am »

Agreed - most people seem to have come up against vampires of Dr Evil levels of bad-guy incompetence.  Yours appears to be more cunning than average.

Your game of DF just turned into a crime thriller.  Embrace your inner Columbo -you're going to feel brilliant when you get this sucker! [/awfulpun]

Alternatively, just keep accusing and hammering dwarves until the (vampire) killings stop.  Eventually you'll get lucky.

or I could just stop playing. This is one feature I vote out. If anyone knows how to disable it or look in a file to tell me exactly who it is, let me know. otherwise, in its current state it's a game ruining feature for me.

UnHerpers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2012, 08:30:22 am »

Oh crossmr, you are right, I just discovered a third vampire who didn't have the bold name thing, (he was also my mayor) the way I found him is because I always give my dwarves my own job titles, and he was a peasant, but in game he showed up as a beekeeper, so the nickname bug also applies to job titles too. So if you mass-assign a new job title/nickname in therapist you should be able to find the guys who aren't changed, and get them that way.
By the way my vampire mayor is now a spear-equipped sentinel standing in front of my drawbridge practicing at all times.

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2012, 09:01:10 am »

Oh crossmr, you are right, I just discovered a third vampire who didn't have the bold name thing, (he was also my mayor) the way I found him is because I always give my dwarves my own job titles, and he was a peasant, but in game he showed up as a beekeeper, so the nickname bug also applies to job titles too. So if you mass-assign a new job title/nickname in therapist you should be able to find the guys who aren't changed, and get them that way.
By the way my vampire mayor is now a spear-equipped sentinel standing in front of my drawbridge practicing at all times.

Can you assign and unassign that again?
I assume it'd make reading things hard by giving them all the same job title

Also someone said something about jewellery.. I just found a bed in my barracks that has like 50 or 60 pieces of jewellery on it.
I had a sneaking suspicion it was one of my military guys, but it makes no sense. 2 people were killed while he was out on a kill order.

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2012, 09:37:44 am »

Odd..my vampire just died in a cage..with no message..
I'm using the pheobus set.

I finally got a witness to one murder (there is more than one, the military guy is a confirmed vampire at this point, he never rests, yellow tired)
so I locked the guy up. He got 199 days in jail. He was blinking green in the cage. Not sure what that meant. I was watching him and suddenly he was gone.
No message about him dying, and everyone went in to pick up his clothes. He was alone in the jail, no one went in and killed him or anything.

The justice screen claims he died, but there is no announcement at all.

TerryDactyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2012, 09:47:28 am »

In 0.34.01, vampires cannot be given nicknames.

I have had trouble assigning profession-names to quite a number of dwarves. Possibly related?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18