Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 18

Author Topic: List of Vampire Facts  (Read 93268 times)

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
Re: List of Vampire Facts
« Reply #180 on: February 25, 2012, 11:42:53 am »

after 3 military vamps, I got a non military vamp. I'd have to get out a calculator, but I think what it is is that vamps comes with a huge amount of experience. Sometimes that's concentrated in a few military skills, other times it's spread out across like 10 professions and several military skills like vamp #4. I thought he was odd having like 2 levels in 10 different jobs. But after all the military guys I didn't think he was a vampire until he killed a brewer.

Luckily he had spear level 3, so he's in the vamp squad.
Probably result of long life.
He was 62, the other vamp was 84 with military focus
Is it a real age (from legends)?
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: February 25, 2012, 02:21:06 pm »

Question: Do vampire dwarves breed? Because about 2/3rds of my fort is from the same massive extended family, and I'm starting to think they're all vampires.

Bugfixes:
vampires won't try to pin crimes on animals

Will be fixed in the next version.
And there goes one of the more entertaining bugs ever to affect Dwarf Fortress.

They do try to blame people who are absolutely not vampires, though. One blamed my manager/broker/bookeeper, who was my starting expedition leader.

About them having good military skills: One of my confirmed vampires was a Great Swordsdwarf, the next highest Swordsdwarf was only Competent. Can't remember the other vampires' skills, though. Kinda sad, but I still had to execute him. Too bad you can't "accept" vampires, and have them go nuts and have a blood orgy on that goblin siege coming your way.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Forumite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: February 25, 2012, 07:27:36 pm »

Talking about turn offs, I just realized a dwarf vampire must be the absolute antithesis of the popular androgyne, metrosexual image of vampires in films and other media written by hormonal women that know nothing about vampires and targeted to hormonal teenage girls who know even less.  :P
Just fixed that for you ;)

Actually, vampires have been sex symbols since Stroker wrote about them, at least, if not before.
They´ve been considered abominations to be shunned, slain and hated for even longer.
"The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: February 25, 2012, 07:35:09 pm »

Question: Do vampire dwarves breed?
Dwarves gain the STERILE tag when they become vampires.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: February 25, 2012, 08:01:18 pm »

They should show up in all biomes, but if your civilization has no vamps, you get no vamps. They are preexisting historical figures.
can i check for this on the history? if so how can I do it for a world with a running fortress?

So the dwarves that have babies in the fortress can be taken out of the suspicion list? both parents?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 08:04:22 pm by Kaos »

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
« Reply #185 on: February 25, 2012, 09:37:55 pm »

This is the best way I've found to contain vamp soldiers. I use the armory as an air lock.
The floodgate attached to their barracks goes outside.

The doors around their barracks are all locked.

The double doors to the armory on the right are unlocked. As people make equipment they drop it off. If the vampire needs something (I'm waiting on a steel mail shirt for one) I wait for the armory to be empty, lock the doors, then unlock the armory door to the vamp barracks. I let them pick up the items at their leisure.

When they've gotten it, they always go back to their barracks to continue training automatically. I lock the door and open up the armory again for general use.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: February 25, 2012, 09:49:57 pm »

can i check for this on the history? if so how can I do it for a world with a running fortress?
Find the save folder you're using, copy it, and then abandon the fort on the copy. This will allow you to restart the world in Legends mode, where you can search by string on a migrant dwarf. I'm not sure what happens if you type in a vampire's name, but given that engravings and slabs will always use the vampire's real name you'll probably get no results. Check dwarves' histories anyway until you find out one way or the other.

So the dwarves that have babies in the fortress can be taken out of the suspicion list? both parents?
I don't know what happens if a pregnant dwarf is turned into a vampire. Assume the worst case scenario, that it continues and that dwarves can arrive at your fortress pregnant. In that case, any dwarf giving birth more than nine months after arriving at the fort can be ruled out, as can her husband. I've heard reports about dwarves claiming to be the parent of a dwarf older than they are, so if a vampire was made recently enough then they can still turn up with family.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #187 on: February 25, 2012, 10:00:02 pm »

They can have kids before they became vampires.

Stromko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: February 25, 2012, 11:27:35 pm »

I don't think burrowing vampire soldiers is 100% safe. I had two vampires that I located, assigned to military, and burrowed on the surface level as soon as they arrived (I always nickname my prospective military recruits, and they both had military skills). I never caught them red-handed leaving their burrows, but four Z-levels down and 30 x/y away in my bedrooms I'd lose about a dwarf every two seasons to being blood-drained.

I've since locked the two vampires in their own barracks, they've been training about nonstop since (so far no sparring sadly), and it's been a year or so since anybody's been bit.

In Deity relationships there should be only one unidentified vampire dwarf left in my civ, and after hours spent screening all my other dwarves (making sure they'd all used a dining room, had a nice meal, drink, slept, etc lately, assigning nicknames to anyone suspicious), I could not locate another vampire in my fort.

In short, pretty sure that my burrowed vampire soldiers were draining dwarves that were sleeping a long way away from their burrows.

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
« Reply #189 on: February 26, 2012, 12:49:51 am »

and for vampire #5 who just slaughtered my near legendary jeweller (both skills), he is completely unremarkable. No huge military skills and his professions don't add up to a lot of experience like the other vamps.

Getting really tired of this.

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
  • UristMcSoldier is an enemy of the Twinkling Incest
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: February 26, 2012, 01:23:52 am »

ptw
ive gotten in the habit of replacing my chief medical dwarf as soon as he gains any notable skill in diagnosis.
It's really funny watching them do unnecessary surgery because of a wrong diagnosis.
the conditions were bad enough to turn a dwarf who didn't care about anything mad, that's pretty hardcore.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #191 on: February 26, 2012, 10:37:29 am »

oh by the way i found out a fisherdwarf who was filled with bone amulets and so on.
he was not a vampire.
he had pages and pages but he was not a vampire.
saw him chewing on food, drinking booze, and so on.
Though now when you are under siege you must be extra careful:
if in the migrant waves to come there are family members of those already in your fort...
TANTRUM SPIRAL FTW.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: February 26, 2012, 08:03:17 pm »

I've had all my vampires stay at the same happiness level since getting them.

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: February 26, 2012, 11:44:53 pm »

and for vampire #5 who just slaughtered my near legendary jeweller (both skills), he is completely unremarkable. No huge military skills and his professions don't add up to a lot of experience like the other vamps.

Getting really tired of this.

Create a custom world which removes the vampire curse.  I did this mainly because I'm still learning the game... I haven't even found or used magma.  Once I'm better I'll play with vampires and probably ban cages.

deoloth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: February 27, 2012, 02:09:23 am »

Just had to necromancers seige me, undead elfs that are attacking are mostly ignoring a dwarf pikeman ive confirmed as a vampire. Usually they wont attack him till he attacks first, and then only the ones close enough (to see it?) engage him.

So pretty much, he is saving my fortress from most of the invading undead elffies and the remains of a 25 unit military force that is now working against me, plus several pieces (including just a head, that im not sure how is moving around) of a minotaur that attacked awhile back.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 18