Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18

Author Topic: List of Vampire Facts  (Read 93548 times)

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: List of Vampire Facts
« Reply #225 on: March 12, 2012, 06:54:28 pm »

Haven't seen this mentioned yet: Vampires' tiles turn into Ñ and profession has "vampire" added to it when they're feeding?

ALSO: Does anyone know if barrels of blood do anything?! It would be SO NICE if that were a solution to the problem.... so, probably not.... :(

I think that only happens if a dwarf witnesses the feeding, you can check the justice screen for the accusations and find the vampires this way.
Don't know about the ascci version, but in the phoebus version, the name of te vampire in the 'v'iew menu turns dark red when he's feeding; the same as with public vampires like a queen for example. If you check their thoughts while they are feeding you can read a line about their teeth being long.

So I don't know if this has been checked yet, but will vampires feed on other vampires? I recall a situation someone described about a locked away dwarf military squad, so I don't think they will. However, better safe than fun if I turn my entire fort into vamps and watch as they devour each other.
my guess is no, since they seem to only feed on sleeping victims, vampires don't sleep, so no vampires feeding on their own kin, the same with animals.... the only way I can see that happening is if the vampire or animal gets a syndrome that causes unconsciousness, not really sure if someone has tested just that...

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: March 13, 2012, 02:51:11 pm »

Got my 3rd vampire, checked on legends viewer, the only one that matches (same gender, same deities relations) is one of the dwarves I initially though will never be emigrating to my fort, she was settled in a human town!! I even checked the town and it belongs to a human civ that is and has always been ruled by human kings...

I guess this throws out the window, that they vampires need to be historical figures that belong to a dwarven civ, it seems they can belong to any civ (or at least be settled in any civ's sites)

I'm assuming that when a creature settles in a civ's site it becomes part of that civ, I'm checking the legends for the last settlement entry and so far my 3 vampires:
queen vampire - last settlement in my parent dwarven civ's capital (duh)
clothier vampire - last settlement in another dwarven civ's mountain halls
mechanic vampire - last settlement in a human civ's town

I also got the visit of the human civ's lawgiver, a frogman vampire that had 100 something inventory pages of jewellery... interestingly around half the jewellery was owned by him and the other half wasn't, so I was able to dump-steal, like 50 inventory pages of human, dwarf and elf bone, hair and tooth jewellery...  :D  It took over a season (and I have over 200 dwarves) to steal from him, while he waited for my stationed baroness to grant him an audience...

In legends he apparently struck down the human law giver and took his position.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: March 13, 2012, 04:07:29 pm »

the only way I can see that happening is if the vampire or animal gets a syndrome that causes unconsciousness, not really sure if someone has tested just that...

I had a vampire exposed to evil weather that caused a drowsiness syndrome.  He never fell asleep from it, nor even ever felt drowsy.  I think nosleep protects against it.  (It was for testing vampires feeding on sleeping livestock.)

I'm not sure if anybody's tested whether vamps will feed on creatures that have become unconscious due to trauma.  If so, it might be possible to knock out a vamp, say, with a long fall.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

PenguinHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: March 13, 2012, 08:54:59 pm »

Apologies if this has already been posted here in this 16 page thread (or elsewhere in the forum).

I have found a reasonably simple way of finding the vampires in my fortress.
I always set up nice bedrooms for my dwarves. I like them to be happy and have a room each.
I declare the room as a bedroom and let a sleepy dwarf claim it when they are ready.

I have found that vampires never claim a bedroom. So once I get an announcement that there has been a blood drained body found I go to an empty bedroom and use the assign option. Any adult dwarf that has not claimed a room is instantly under suspicion. I then go view them and if they have a large list of previous memberships then (via a solo squad assignment) they get a nice little walled up room with a statue of their own to keep them company.  :)

robertheinrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: March 13, 2012, 09:19:48 pm »

Note to Toady: have vampires claim bedrooms to improve their disguise.

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: March 13, 2012, 09:28:19 pm »

I guess the best fool-proof way to screen-out vampires from a migration wave, would be to assign all the wave to a screening room where you put them to do some job on repeat (maybe operate a dry pump?) the ones the give up and go to eat, sleep or drink are safe, the ones that stay are vampires...

Nibble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: March 14, 2012, 05:52:04 am »

I found a vampire who has completely different first and last names (no nicknames) listed in Dwarf Fortress and Dwarf Therapist. Has my vampire assumed some sort of secret identity, or is it a bug in Dwarf Therapist?

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: March 14, 2012, 08:31:58 am »

Apologies if this has already been posted here in this 16 page thread (or elsewhere in the forum).

I have found a reasonably simple way of finding the vampires in my fortress.
I always set up nice bedrooms for my dwarves. I like them to be happy and have a room each.
I declare the room as a bedroom and let a sleepy dwarf claim it when they are ready.

I have found that vampires never claim a bedroom. So once I get an announcement that there has been a blood drained body found I go to an empty bedroom and use the assign option. Any adult dwarf that has not claimed a room is instantly under suspicion. I then go view them and if they have a large list of previous memberships then (via a solo squad assignment) they get a nice little walled up room with a statue of their own to keep them company.  :)

I predicted this behaviour on December 10, 2011, in this post: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=84398.msg2822541#msg2822541

EDIT: and reported as a bug: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=5642
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 08:39:59 am by Kogut »
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: March 15, 2012, 07:12:18 am »

I've only managed to catch one once, and I didn't think of it until afterwards, but when the vampire is feeding and you get the Ñ symbol, is it possible to order a squad to kill them through the 's' menu?
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: March 15, 2012, 08:30:11 am »

possibly mentioned already but here goes.

in the personality/traits category, where you see "needs alcohol to get through the working day" and "getting used to tragedy," there's another special trait that will say something to the effect that the dwarf hasn't had a drink in a loong loong time.  This is a pretty sure way to identify vampires.

Vampires often have a long list of former memberships in various groups.

After my first vampire had no associations but passing acquaintences and no diety, I knew i had found him.  However my second vampire had a completely fabricated family tree, complete with a wife and children, but none of them were members of the fortress.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

USP45

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: March 16, 2012, 11:12:56 am »

Hiya -
How can you tell?  Is it by color?

Any adult dwarf that has not claimed a room is instantly under suspicion. I then go view them and if they have a large list of previous

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: March 16, 2012, 11:36:15 am »

I've only managed to catch one once, and I didn't think of it until afterwards, but when the vampire is feeding and you get the Ñ symbol, is it possible to order a squad to kill them through the 's' menu?
I think you can 'k'ill order any creature, even a normal dwarf, but it will normally cause a loyalty spiral, not sure if when the vampire is feeding won't....

You can order the vampire to station and the feeding will get cancelled and the victim saved, though.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: March 16, 2012, 01:58:19 pm »

[SET_LABOR_LISTS:NO] switches to [SET_LABOR_LISTS:YES], if that migration includes a Vampire.  Oops!

That statement isn't true.  The migrant waves are merging in Therapist, and I was mislead from that, as it happened to have a bloodsucker, too.  Not sure if its working as intended, because seperating migration waves in Therapist was a welcome utility, which has been lost in 05.  *shrug*  These migrants are misbehaving, wonder if its just because I have labors set to no, and its a new untested feature. 
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 08:54:23 pm by knutor »
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

MiniMacker

• Bay Watcher
  • Side-effects include nausia, tantrum and insanity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: March 17, 2012, 06:08:12 pm »

I was a bit disappointed when there were about 5 witnesses of a bloodsucking. They reported it to the Sheriff and I convicted the vampire for murder. He got sent to jail for about 200 days.

I was expecting an angry mob with pitchforks and torches, damn it!
It isn't a new Dwarf Fortress version until we're made to fear some kind of regular creature.  Carp, Elephants, Unicorns, Badgers, and now Mosquitos.  I've got 5 dorfBucks on the next one being plagues of groundhogs.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: March 19, 2012, 05:41:29 am »

another vampire fact, not listed here yet

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104920
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18