Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Four necromancers.  (Read 6274 times)

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
Re: Four necromancers.
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2012, 11:05:53 am »

It's a tile check. I had necromancers in one sealed room, with an ex-corpse in another, about 3 tiles away. The corpse got up, despite there being no way for the necromancers to reach the corpse.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2012, 01:22:09 pm »

I found out the hard way, not to keep starving grazers near the necromancer fun pit while I go get something to drink.

I discovered half of my fortress dead, being beaten to death by a single donkey. Also one of the necromancers somehow got OUT of the pit, I have no idea why.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2012, 01:37:12 pm »

I found out the hard way, not to keep starving grazers near the necromancer fun pit while I go get something to drink.

I discovered half of my fortress dead, being beaten to death by a single donkey. Also one of the necromancers somehow got OUT of the pit, I have no idea why.

Hehe, tricky buggers.  :)
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2012, 01:42:47 pm »

I should test whether or not dwarfs that are related to a zombie child get a bad thought or not.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2012, 02:21:38 pm »

Kill one of the necromancers within the range of another one.

If the live one creates a zombie of the necromancer, see if a zombie necromancer can raise things as well.

If so, two necromancers should be a pretty useful defense tool against attacks since they'll just keep raising each other and anybody else that they kill.

That guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2012, 02:25:09 pm »

My record is three.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2012, 02:37:12 pm »

My first thought is to use them as a component of a sort of semi-automated defense system.

Build a square tower over the entrance of you're fort. Place a a small tower or window on each side, with double-thick fortifications on the 1st or 2nd floor and cover that with a flood-gate connected to a lever. Place a necromancer in a 1x1 room behind each observation port. Use the top of the tower to station marksdwarves. The flood-gate will prevent the necromancer from raising corpses during peacetime and the double thick fortifications will protect the necromancer during battle while allowing him a wide view of the battlefield.

When a seige or something similar arrives, pull the levers controlling the flood-gates, allowing the necromancers to see outside across the battlefield and raise the corpses your marksdwarves create. Because the necromancer can only see corpses outside the tower, he can only raise zombies to fight the invaders.

After defeating a few ambushes and sieges in this manner, the zombies outside the tower should provide first-line defense against ambushes and also provide the bulk of defense and absorb damage. Or at least provide all-season training for your marksdwarves and military if you decide to dispose of them.

Keeping the zombies from pathing into the tower after the battle might be a problem. Might need to confine them to a trench, or work a system to control the pathing of the zombies and the invaders and your dwarves.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2012, 03:10:42 pm »

Toss in hands, heads, and enemy corpses. Also unusable body parts, like horse hair and nervous tissue. The image of a nervous system, risen from the grave...priceless. Oh, and maybe send in a massive undead army to fight the demons, keeping the necromancers in a safe, nearby position. They'll be able to raise the dead demons, then; as long as the necromancers don't die/keep rezzing each other if undead necromancers can raise dead, the undead army will be as limitless as that of the depths.

Seal off your dwarves with a glass block wall and watch the carnage.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2012, 03:20:15 pm »

Most of the necromancers I have collected have crossbows, They like to snipe my woodcutters then raise them.

This is getting dangerous.
Pages: 1 [2]