Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Most annoying dwarf death  (Read 5385 times)

katwithk

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist likes kats for their calmness and logic.
    • View Profile
Re: Most annoying dwarf death
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2012, 08:05:12 am »

Kat: "Melee dwarves, station here around this corner and wait for the Marksdwarves to arrive before engaging the GCS."

Urist McSwordsdwarf: "Fuck this shit, LEEEEEROOOOOYYYY nnnJEEEEENNNKIIIIINSSS"

Needless to say Urist gets webbed and bitten, then asphyxiates as his lungs shut down while his comrades perforate the GCS.
A tall, slender creature fond of coffee and computers.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2012, 12:19:41 pm »

Magma mist killing workers during routine dumping. It's rediculous even for DF, because molten rock doesn't work that way. Three damn deaths, so I went with them having commited suicide by shoving thier heads into mgma smelters.

Berossus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2012, 12:28:40 pm »

Even more annoying than a miner getting magmaŽd is your magmaŽd administrator who tries to recover the artefact pick (i guess, i never found out why he ran into the pool of molten dwarfrock).
My son, many speak of the honor in war.
My preferred method is to wait until their back is turned, then impale them with a pike held by someone else.
Preferrably from a distance.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2012, 05:06:24 pm »

Also annoying in it's commonality is dwarf on edge of controlled area encountering a snatcher or goblin ambush team - and running *away* from the fort and gate.   >:(

Just had a dwarf retrieving something stupid and being followed by a dwarf child.  They encounter a snatcher and run out into the open space rather than back towards the safety of the fort (with its traps, troops, and other reasons to head that way.)

They dodge the snatcher and it decides to run out of the fort - so all three of them are running on a parallel course to the west - while the guard squads are being sent out to deal with the issue.

And, of course, right outside the gate they run smack into a goblin ambush team (lasher and some crossbow goblins). 

After a few misses the dwarven child gets hit by two bolts and is knocked down (and presumably out).  At this point the child somehow *teleports* into the snatcher's bag about 8-10 tiles away right before the snatcher exits the map sending the triumphant message about the child being absconded with.

The hauler dwarf is a bit more lucky.  He has militia reserve training, some light armor on, and also a shield and axe.  He leads the ambush squad on a merry chase amidst the trees dodging bolts and parrying the lasher's attacks the few times the lasher catches up with him.  By this time they are near the southwest outer area and meet a sword dwarf squad coming the other way.  Hauler dwarf goes back inside while sword master chops lasher into about six pieces. 

Snatchers and ambush teams are the main reason I draft, equip, and do basic training on almost all the fortress residents.  Get their physical stats up so that they have a chance to outrun the goblins (and I have seen some do it) long enough for the regular military to get there.  And with some armor and at least a shield they can hopefully block a few attacks (or arrows) and survive a bit longer.  Also the benefit (and risk) of having a lot of crossbow armed dwarves about when something goes bad and suddenly an FB or some goblins on flying mounts turn up somewhere unexpected. 
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2012, 05:16:42 pm »

It's stuff like that that make me think they try to draw the enemy away. They ALWAYS flee away from the fort, and as they're the closest target, the enemy follows them. I know that's probably not the case, but at least it makes you feel like they were actually trying to do something intelligent (draw the enemy away so the the milita can muster, and if I die, at least I bought the fort time.)

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2012, 05:58:03 pm »

My most annoying dwarf death was when a soldier ran out to attack an ambush. I had told him to get armor and weapons (no partial matches and there was enough); however, he just ran in civilian clothes and attempted to wrestle the nearest goblin. Needless to say, he died very quickly.

My second and third worst deaths were both mood-related. For the first, a miner got in a mood. I spent a while wondering why he wasn't making anything, and then realized (just after he went insane) that I'd forgotten to make a mason's workshop. For the second, a dwarf wanted some annoying thing like string or cloth. I made the two possible things that I could, but it must have been the third type of cloth/string.

I've also had several dwarfs die from magma. Number one lesson: Don't designate a channel unless the dwarf is unable to stand on top of it, or he will mine from straight above.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2012, 06:39:48 pm »

Never use the move/station command then use the kill command.

Results: Everyone but a few dwarves goes back to their barracks. The few that don't go back head out alone and are killed. Then they trickle in one by one, with each one dieing until the general cluster shows up.

In this specific instance, there were 5 deaths. There should of been none.

I should mention, one the the dwarves who came in a bit before the general cluster survived. He was intelligent enough to run, and I mean RUN. Of course he did it after getting stabbed in both of his hands, but still, he survived.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2012, 12:20:13 am »

My current fort lost a metalworker (novice immigrant, nobody important) to thirst because he sidestepped onto the supposedly-inaccessible curtain wall...
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

katwithk

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist likes kats for their calmness and logic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2012, 07:40:20 am »

"Oh, hey there Urist McGravedust. Sorry about your death, we'll get you a slab engraved just as soon as we c- OH GOD, FOR THE LOVE OF ARMOK, MY AAAAAARRRRRM"

THEY WERE BEST FRIENDS WHEN URIST WAS ALIVE.

WHO RIPS OFF THEIR BEST FRIEND'S ARM?
A tall, slender creature fond of coffee and computers.

Cereus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2012, 12:21:11 pm »

Playing masterwork dwarf fortress, I accidentally sacrificed my chief medical dwarf (who was AWESOME and legendary in all medical skills plus my favorite dwarf) on the altar of armok. I thought they just grabbed a random dude, not killed the guy tasked...

Non-modded: I finally figured out how to make squads patrol. So I set up a perimeter guard, selecting my four best dwarves and some meat shields with crossbows to patrol the "green zone" and keep the hundreds of zombies away from my fort.

"Urist McGodly has been struck down"
"Urist McSwordmaster has been stuck down"
"Goden McUrist'sWarGoat has been found dead"

For some reason they took off their equipment and were running around in civilian clothing, where a zombie titan's mutilated corpse met them. I DID assign them their specific uniforms when I added them to the new squad as well...
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 12:50:20 pm by Cereus »

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2012, 12:25:35 pm »

Urist McChild likes snail shell.
Urist McChild has been possessed!
There is nothing to catch anywhere.

On the plus side, my fisherdwarf got three or four points of Agility for sitting around doing nothing for a season, so I think I found the job for this fortress's uselessly clumsy dwarves.

Why annoying? Because there is literally nothing you can do to prevent it in-game.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2012, 12:37:39 pm »

The worst one... All the times when Dwarves die from completely unnecessary causes all resulting from you focusing on building giant ASCII faces instead of locking up the deadly beasties.
Pages: 1 [2]